mtbr member
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Too bad no pics of my 1997...

So here is one, with a few upgrades.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    your straight6 sexy looking for sure! i miss my '00 stray8 pullshock great bike. who ever scanned all them catalogs missed a few pages. i was hunting for the 2001 catalog for the straight8 and stumbled upon that. i i think/ hope by posting it, it might help someone looking for info
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    I have a 2001 catalog. Anything you need in particular? Just the S8 pages? I can scan whatever you'd like, or at least as much as will fit on my scanner.

mtbr member
    the S8 page would be cool. i was looking for the main picture page and the back page with the specs
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'll see what I can do for ya when I get home tonight.

mtbr member
    Great Job on the catalogs I finally found my moab year of birth, she was a 2002 moab 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

homegrown all mountain carbon question

Does anyone have any info about the homegrown carbon fiber dual suspention bikes or frames? All the brochures from the link do not have any info on them. here are a couple of picks to show what frame i mean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CTB
    mtbr member
    Sure. What do you need to know? I have the catalogs for all those, and I have that same bike. You can PM or email me if you like. I could scan some pages for you if you want. Also, the Bikepedia website has info on them as well. The frame you have pictured is a 98 Homegrown and was produced at the same time as the aluminum versions.

www.bikepedia.com

mtbr member
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a 99 Carbon S-20 in the gold color. I saw on ebay where a guy had a frame just like the red one above for sale listing it as a REAL homegrown and selling for $3000.00. He said the S series was not real home grown and were junk. I guess I'm curious as to what the difference is. The swing arm on mine is not polished like the one above, and the paint is different. Other than that, I'm not sure what the difference is? Mine is made in the US. Anyone have any idea what the ebay guy was talking about? The ad is gone now, or I'd post the link.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Jayhawk,
    The rear triangle/swingarm is completely different between the Homegrowns and S-series. The geometry is the same, but the fabrication is different. The S-series are continuous tubing that is bent into shape; the HG's were made of straight tubes welded together, and they have a different extrusion at the chainstay yoke. If you look at the picture just above this post (which is the same bike I have), you can see all the welds on the HG version. Compare that to your S-20's arm.

I don't know which is better, stronger, or lighter. I just know they are different. As far as I knew, there was no difference in the carbon main triangle other than paint color, but I can't prove that in any way. Regardless, none of the carbon main triangles were made in USA that I know of (I have a spare one with "Made In Taiwan" stuck right on it), so if someone claims they are Yeti-built, etc., I believe they are wrong. The bikes were assembled here, but the carbon frames were made overseas (I think). Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I know the frame you're talking about on Ebay. The price is what I would describe as "on crack," and the view that the S-series were "junk" in comparison isn't what I'd call valid, either.

mtbr member
    Well, I guess I'm just assuming mine to be made in the US as there is no indication otherwise. I bought it new as a leftover in 2000. I suppose I may have taken the Taiwan sticker off all those years ago and not remembered it!

It's a great bike, and I have no complaints. When I first bought it, I rode it a lot. Then we moved to Tulsa and I had no one to ride with. For about 7 years it sat in the shed. This year we've gotten involved with the LBS doing road rides and doing trail riding. I pulled her out, dusted her off, and even did a race at Turkey Mountain. That showed me I'm terribly out of shape, but the bike handled it no problem! Now I've added a few items to update her a little. We added some riser bars to help with the riding position a bit, and I had to put new ties on. The old ones looked good, but the knobs started breaking off. I think she'll do for a while though.

Thanks for the info CTB. I'm not worried about comparing to more expensive bikes one way or the other really, I just thought that ebay ad was way out of line on price. I do see the differences in the swing arm you mentioned, but I'm not sure how big a difference it makes. Possibly mine may be a little heaver as the formed tubing most likely had to be thicker due to the built in failure points.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I rode my HG Sweetspot for 8+ years with no problems at all. Bushings are still tight, bike is in great shape. I only replaced it (but I still have it) on a bit of a whim, so definitely keep enjoying yours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    nice to find this thread buried. Any one have pics from the 97 catalog of the bikes? I just picked up a 97 homegrown in tomato red for my wife's first ride. Im excited to finish the build

CTB
    mtbr member
    I've got the 97 catalog. Any particular pages you'd like? I could scan one or two for ya. Homegrown Sweetspot maybe?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    that would be rad. I have the homegrown ESP.

banned
    wow, cool thread.

CTB
    mtbr member
    EDIT: I figured out that I can fit this file in full-size at my photo sharing site, so here's a link to the picture. I think you can save it once you view it.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...megrownESP.jpg
    Last edited by CTB; 07-30-2009 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    CTB--Thanks for posting that pic, the color and build look almost the same as what I have except for the cable stop routing. Mine go straight across the top tube instead of along the side. A 97 at the start of the serial number means its a 1997 frame, right?

mtbr member
    is there a moderator in the house? any chance we can get this thread sticky'ed at the top of the page?
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown