mtbr member
    Aug 2009

09' Teocali creaking

My teocali has been creaking and its gettinf really annoying. Took it to my LBS and asked them "my Suspension on my Mongoose teocali is creaking is there a type of lube I can use on the pivots that wont ruin the bushings?" There answer was "oh there just throw away parts" thinking it was from walmart but after I explained that a 1700 dollar bike doesnt or shouldnt have throw away parts they told me oiling the bushings would ruin them to just ignore it. So is this true? Can you recomend some luube for my pivots I plan to take um apart clean and lube then reinstall.

mtbr member
    Creaks can be very annoying.

Have you been able to isolate which pivots are creaking? Looking at pictures of the Teocali, seems many of the pivots have sealed bearings.

I can't tell what the lower pivot near the BB has. The shock will have bushings. Your LBS is right that bushings are throw away parts and should be replaced when worn.

Also maybe you didn't know this, but full suspension bike frames do require more maintenance.

Assuming you ride the bike quite a bit, you should probably disassemble the frame, clean, grease pivots, and probably replace bearings once per year. A suspension creak could be a sign the bearings are shot.

You can get bearings, bushings, lube etc here:
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

What?
    All the piviots on the teocali frames are sealed. I noticed mine make noise if the bolts are just slightly loose. Get out som allen wrenches and make sure they are all tight. You need two (I think 5mm) allen wrenchs. The bolts are connected together so you need to hold one side while turning the other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I tightened most of them but I cant get to the Pivots on the Lower Drive side chainrings are in the way. I think ill have to live with it untill I pull my Cranks

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal
    I tightened most of them but I cant get to the Pivots on the Lower Drive side chainrings are in the way. I think ill have to live with it untill I pull my Cranks

The linkage you are talking about hardly moves, even when fully compressed. I doubt that the noise is coming from there. since all the pivots are sealed bearings and not bushings, you can spray some lube on them. I don't think that will do much but its worth a try. I would maybe check you crank arms and make sure they are tight too.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have an 06 teocali super. I had annoying creaking as well. It was not coming from the sealed bearings. On the linkage below the BB, they use clear plastic shims on either side of the linkage (4 total) they had worn to the point that the metal caps were rubbing against the linkage. Mongoose does not sell the plastic shims by themselves. I ordered the whole bearing kit for the rear suspension hoping they would be there. It came with the link and bolts and the other pivot bearings, but no shims so I had to fabricate them out of plastic washers. Getting the thickness right was the hardest part. Good luck.

PS

yes, I had to remove the crank to get at them. An alternative would be to remove the large chain ring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Are you sure its the suspension linkages?
    Personally I would check your seat, seat post and clamp first of all

What?
    Ironicly, I was riding a few days ago and my 08 teocali started creaking too. All I could think of was this thread. after checking everthing, i found that my rear skewer was the problem. the normal tighting of it allowed it to move ever so slightly causing a creak while pedaling. I made it as tight as I could possible get it and it went away. I think a solid through axel is now in my future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    Ironicly, I was riding a few days ago and my 08 teocali started creaking too. All I could think of was this thread. after checking everthing, i found that my rear skewer was the problem. the normal tighting of it allowed it to move ever so slightly causing a creak while pedaling. I made it as tight as I could possible get it and it went away. I think a solid through axel is now in my future.
    Ha ha that's funny I stoped the creeking I think my last ride didn't go to well about 10 min into it I found my self on my back with my bike on my head and a torn ligament in my shoulder from user error but hopefully I have that creek gone

mtbr member
    Try using : www.mil-comm.com it is plastic and rubber friendly. Get a small tube of the grease lube not the oil, it will stay where you apply it. I've had no complaints using it.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal
    Ha ha that's funny I stoped the creeking I think my last ride didn't go to well about 10 min into it I found my self on my back with my bike on my head and a torn ligament in my shoulder from user error but hopefully I have that creek gone

That sucks, Hope you have a speedy recovery!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Mine was creaking and it was the pivots. My local bike shop took everthing apart that could cause the creaking then put it back together. Just needed some grease.

mtbr member
    I will tell you this freeride fans:
    check your bearings, and check them often. i have an 08 khyber, the bottom bracket link bearings where destroyed. the BB link... someone said they doubt it would come from there, because it hardly moves... well the hardly moving part plus undersized bearing part means you will get indexing of the bearing, if there isnt enough grease, plus indexing, etc etc... it WILL creak.
    as for lube safe for bushings, if they are plastic bushings, uhhh, yea, throw away parts, if they are metal, use tri-flow its fine. but yea, i found removing the rear shock and moving the swingarm through the travel was the easiest way to find the noise. my LBS has the walmart opinion of my khyber as well, so they didnt want to deal with mongoose to help me out, so i was on my own, luckily i found the bearing spacers/bushings that i thought were missing when i tore it down.... so i ordered some new bearings enduro max 688 RS. once they get here i will install them and be back riding in no time.