Training wheels ON
    Jan 2009

09 Mongoose Canaan Comp

Purchased it for my wife. Her first FS bike. Just wondering if anyone has encountered any issues so far? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Training wheels ON
    Jan 2009
    Okay. How about experiences with any Canaan?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    all i know is that canaan got a great review in a Australian MTB magazine

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Canaan Elite

I've had my 2009 canaan elite since the beginning of April. Over all I love it. The ride and handleing are great. I've been able to climb and desend on trails I wouldn't even have tried on my last bike. I changed the tires on it because the small block 8s just won't do where I ride. The smarties, after about 300 miles, got a little loose. I repacked them with grease and readjusted the bearing preload. The pedals are running fine for now, but I'm going to buy a set of Acids.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 619m5
    Okay. How about experiences with any Canaan?
    I've got a 2008 Canaan Comp and I like it a lot. The first frame developed a hairline crack at the top of the right rear shock mount and Mongoose replaced the frame no questions asked. Second frame has given me no problems at all. When I wore out the Small Block 8's I replaced them with Nevegals (2.1's) which work better on the stuff I ride. Stock set-up is RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air fork and Fox Float R shock, Deore XT rear derailleur has shifted well. Hayes Stroker Trail 160mm brakes work well enough but can be a bit noisy. At a little over $1000, I think this was a good deal. Ditched the Crank Bros. Smarty pedals -- and if I'm not mistaken I replaced them with pedals you recommended.

PMD
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have 2007Canaan Elite that I mainly use for adventure racing. I really like the bike, the supension works really well and the spec for the price was amazing. I never road the pedals it came with and I quickly changed the bar to a flat bar and added ergo grips. The tires mine came with were worthless on anything beyond hard pack so they were replaced as well. The slacker head tube angle is nice when fatigue sets in. It slows bad handling inputs down so they don't become catastrophic. On the other hand in real tight patches it makes it harder in my opinion.

I really like my Canaan. I just wish I had it. Unfortunately, mine also developed a hair-line crack around the top of down tube suspension mount weld. That seems to be an early year problem that's been fixed. At 50 with lower back problems I don't do jumps/drops or anything sketchy. I dismount. Getting back to wishing I had it, I've been waiting since at least early May for a replacement frame. "They" keep waiting for frames to arrive in this country and the ETA keeps getting pushed out two to three weeks at a time. Mongoose requires the dealer to strip and send the frame back. So I have to pay for a defective frame to be stripped and sent back. It seems to me the manufacturer of a defective product should keep you whole. Perhaps that's the cost of the "amazing spec for the money". Overall it's a great bike for the price but I don't know that I would buy it again given my customer service experience.