mtbr member

08 Mongoose Otero, new rear shock questions

I have a Mongoose otero that needs a new rear shock, I'm looking at the rockshox monarch rt3, but not sure what tune to buy, the bike has adjustable rear travel but I always have used it in the 4.4" position, So with 6.5"/1.5" rear shock my leverage ratio is 2.9

I had found a chart for the RT3 before that showed tunes by your leverage ratio, but it seems to be removed from the internet intirely
    I also remember something on the chart about the rear geometry being rising rate or linear , which I have no idea what my Otero is

Any help would be much appreciated, I contacted both mongoose and RS and apparently neither give a crap about my old bike

mtbr member
    I posted my question on another forum and was told by the first person to reply that i should buy a new bike instead, I didn't debate it with him I simply deleted my account on that forum

I got my otero down to 30lbs, it fits me perfectly in size and its got me every where reliably , why do i need a new bike . Here in VT I also enjoy pulling up to the trails with my beat up ford diesel truck and parking next to a row of prius's with $3k 29er bikes on the roofs and unloading my mongoose and heading out onto the trails (sorry for the rant )

mtbr member
    I always thought the Otero felt like a rising rate. But after reading through this thread I'm not quite sure and it just might have been the ramp up of the cheap air shock.
    Falling/Rising rate

undercover brother
    OP - One of my first bikes was an Otero Elite. I would probably say that its one of the best lower budget full suspensions out there. Great little bike, so don't worry about the a hole who told you to go get another bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by faceplant72 View Post
    I always thought the Otero felt like a rising rate. But after reading through this thread I'm not quite sure and it just might have been the ramp up of the cheap air shock.
    Falling/Rising rate
    yeah the RS bar 2.1 that came on the bike was terrible , I managed to find the RS monarch compression chart again Big Mountain Cycles - Rock Shox - Monarch RT3 Hauptkolben mit Shimstack Rock Shox - Monarch RT3 Hauptkolben mit Shimstack 100010369

Looks like my bike is on the border of the M and H tunes, I may try a MM as I found a decent deal on one right now , and can always swap the tune piston

mtbr member
    Hey, I agree with the MM tune, that should work pretty nicely with the Otero linkage...

I bought an '07 Otero Comp frame two years ago (new, unbuilt) for the princely sum of $75. I built it up with leftover parts and some scrounging for deals as a back up bike and/or bike for my wife to ride. I am crazy impressed with how decent a bike it is...it's really pretty fun on the trails. My wife rides it on most of the Fellowship trails here in VT without a single problem. Not bad for about a $500 bike build. Sometimes I noodle around on it instead of my Kona Dawg, it's that fun.

Screw the haters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl View Post
    Hey, I agree with the MM tune, that should work pretty nicely with the Otero linkage...

I bought an '07 Otero Comp frame two years ago (new, unbuilt) for the princely sum of $75. I built it up with leftover parts and some scrounging for deals as a back up bike and/or bike for my wife to ride. I am crazy impressed with how decent a bike it is...it's really pretty fun on the trails. My wife rides it on most of the Fellowship trails here in VT without a single problem. Not bad for about a $500 bike build. Sometimes I noodle around on it instead of my Kona Dawg, it's that fun.

Screw the haters.
    I've ridden , sunny hollow, sleepy hollow, mud pond, moosealamo/chandler, most of hinesburg forest, perry hill, and many other trails with it so far this year, it has not let me down and I like you with your wife's have very little into it ($600 total into the build my frame was $100)