mtbr member

08 khyber suspension creaking

My 2008 khyber has developed an annoying creak from somewhere in the mess of pivots, not sure exactly where. I have had the bottom bracket Teflon taped, and all bolts are tight with no play... Any advice?
    *edit/update*
    the creaking that felt and sounded like a loose bottom bracket was actually the bearings in the short linkage between the bb housing and chainstays. 2 of the bearings came apart into pieces when I pulled the bolt out, now the outer races of these two bearings are stuck inside the frame.
    So, I guess either the previous owner thrashed this bike hard, though all the other pivots move smoothly and freely.. Or mongoose used crap bearings at this high stress pivot. Oh well, new bearings and hopefully it will be good to go. I guess this is part of buying used.
    Last edited by Iridethedirt; 04-30-2010 at 04:34 PM.

mtbr member
    ...Or mongoose used crap bearings at this high stress pivot

happy to hear you found the problem though...
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8

happy to hear you found the problem though...
    I thought about going with some hevier duty machine bearings from a supply shop, only problem is that there are spacers on the back side of the bearings and I seem to be missing at least one... Just destroyed it I guess... Oh well. Today since I can't ride I am up early to go help build a new section of trail with MORE.

mtbr member
    we're going to require pictures of this trail section your building..
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    It's hardly me who is building this trail, haha! I just went out and helped the first work day of clearing a corridor through the woods for this trail. A local mtb advocacy group is behind the sustainable trail build adding 2 miles to an already existing trail network. The network goes through a local regional park, and there has been lots of illegal building going on. The point of this trail is to have pro quality trails built, show the park management it can be done in a way so as not to disturb the look or feel of the park, and through this hopefuly get the OK for more new trails. I plan to go back out for all the work days I can, learn about trail building and be a part of as many as I can.
    As for pictures, I will post some as soon as it's actually a trail. Till then, visit
    www.more-mtb.org and look for the trail work section about lake fairfax park for updates.

mtbr member
    An update on the 08 khyber:
    I found the missing spacer in a wad of grease and broken bearing chunks. Cleaned it up and it's fine. Now I just need to buy bearings.
    For anybody running a google search on this problem in the future:
    the bottom bracket link pivots on a 2008 khyber use bearing # 668 RS
    I am unsure the difference between 688 RS and 688 2RS bearings which turn up in searches for the 688 RS, but the measuremets seem the same. I will post more as I know it. And more on my home methods of pressing bearings in and out without a bearing press.

RS means "rubber seal" and 2RS means its sealed on both sides. though it seems so does RS...
    if you need these bearings, check out
    http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/a...ource=googleps

seems to be about the only place i can find enduro max 688s online.
    I'll update when i complete tear down, and again when i recieve my bearings and install them.
    Last edited by Iridethedirt; 05-02-2010 at 10:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridethedirt View Post
    My 2008 khyber has developed an annoying creak from somewhere in the mess of pivots, not sure exactly where. I have had the bottom bracket Teflon taped, and all bolts are tight with no play... Any advice?
    *edit/update*
    the creaking that felt and sounded like a loose bottom bracket was actually the bearings in the short linkage between the bb housing and chainstays. 2 of the bearings came apart into pieces when I pulled the bolt out, now the outer races of these two bearings are stuck inside the frame.
    So, I guess either the previous owner thrashed this bike hard, though all the other pivots move smoothly and freely.. Or mongoose used crap bearings at this high stress pivot. Oh well, new bearings and hopefully it will be good to go. I guess this is part of buying used.

I need to replace the bolts that go through the link that your talking about on my khyber super 08 ASAP! Its been a terrible struggle trying to find replacements. Where did you get the replacements? I can only find it here at Mongoose KhyberTeocali 2008 Bottom Bracket Link Bolt : Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes| Winstanleys Cycles but I feel like the shipping will take weeks and I need to race in less than two weeks. Hopefully you can help me out. Maybe a hardware store could have something that would work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkhn View Post
    I need to replace the bolts that go through the link that your talking about on my khyber super 08 ASAP! Its been a terrible struggle trying to find replacements. Where did you get the replacements? I can only find it here at Mongoose KhyberTeocali 2008 Bottom Bracket Link Bolt : Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes| Winstanleys Cycles but I feel like the shipping will take weeks and I need to race in less than two weeks. Hopefully you can help me out. Maybe a hardware store could have something that would work?
    I got my replacements from mongoose, and it was a major pain in the ass. I actually had to contact mongoose, speak to their contact with performance bikes, and get her to have the parts shipped to my local performance bike shop. I will never own a mongoose again. So, my advice would be indeed, go find stainless hardware at a specialty hardware store, something like a fastenall, or online at mcmaster.com
    I don't recall the bolt diameter, or the diameter of the bearings... essentially what you will need to do is find a stainless bolt of the proper diameter (8mm i THINK...) and a couple washers. I would get the slimmest nuts you can, and double nut the end, if this is not possible, use a nylock nut and some blue loc-tite. I also advise you to get a flat headed bolt, preferably an allen head bolt. I'll quickly peruse the mcmaster.com catalog for you if you can quickly get me the specs on the bolt diameter and length.

I sold this frame long ago, sorry I don't have those specifics anymore.

What?
    Just use a grade 8 bolt of the same diameter. It dont look as clean, but it will work.