mtbr member

08 Khyber: coil?

I'm really liking the Khyber bikes, except the rear air-shock. Does anyone know if a coil-over (rocco or DHX) will fit? looks like clearance could be tight in the opening in the seattube (judging by pics online)?

thanks

pic poached from http://www.dropnzone.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NEstinkyrider; 03-03-2008 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    ..just heard back from Mongoose, so I guess I'll answer my own question:

Unfortunately, the Khyber is a "dedicated air frame" as the rep put it. TOTALLY WEAK in my opinion. Otherwise I think the bike is spot on... awesome geo, great parts spec and killer price.. I thought I had found new rig.. oh well, back to square one.

I just can't understand why they wouldn't give that little bit of extra clearance so people (like me) could have the option of running a coil

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've also been eyeballing the Khyber since it's such a fantastic deal. That's unfortunate that it won't fit a coil. I do have a question regarding this issue, though. What are the advantages of the coil vs. air? Would it be for durability, or do you just prefer the way a coil feels..?

mtbr member
    both durability and feel.. I had bad luck with an air shock on an old bike.. it needed lots of service and just didn't feel as plush as the coil.. I haven't ridden a bike with the new generation of air shocks but people say are quite nice..so if you're really interested in the bike, go see if you can find a store with one and bounce around on it.. if the shock feels good to you, go for it.

If you won't build I will
    What is the LBS on it?
    35lbs?
    I want on but the last thing I need is another 45lbs bike, I have a RMX I'll trade some one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitzer
    What is the LBS on it?
    35lbs?
    I want on but the last thing I need is another 45lbs bike, I have a RMX I'll trade some one!
    Depends on how you build it. 45lbs would be hard to achieve on the Khyber. I would say mid-30's on average.