mtbr member
    Aug 2008

WORS - RED FLINT FIRECRACKER - June 24th

This Year's Red Flint Firecracker is almost upon us. Volunteer's have worked 100's of hours getting the course ready for this year's run of the popular course. We've got a new Whoops section, a new berm on Onion, we finished Willinator (formerly WTF). We've rocked in several erosion prone areas, we've dialed in Thrillville for maximum fun.

The superflowy single track has never flown this well before.

It's sure to be a racer favorite this year...you won't want to miss it.

Wisconsin Off Road Series | #5 | Red Flint Firecracker

June 24th
    Lowes Creek
    Eau Claire, WI

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Early week rain, but it's supposed to be clear and 80 for Race day. The course is going to be really fast! Come out and rip it up with us!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi, first season of WORS and really liking it. I plan to move up to sport at Firecracker after doing Iola, Wausau, and Camrock as a citizen. I don't have the time/money to do the camping/pre-ride thing so i learn the course on the first lap and take it from there.

In a nutshell, how would you describe the sport course? Lots of climbs, percentage of single track etc... Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good choice bumping up to Sport at Lowes Creek. The Sport lap has all the fun trails in as compared to the Citizen Lap...in my opinion. Citizen is going to much more fun this year but it does remove a couple of trails for the sake of lap distance. We are running right around 14 miles with the Sport Lap. Based on my lethargic performance last night at 1:15 I would expect the winning time to be right around 1:05 for the Sport Lap. Probably 45 minutes for Citizen.

It's a fast course. We've taken out some slow course changes where we switch from single to double track. We've had some rain in the last 5 days and while there are a couple of slippery spots right now the 5 day forecast looks really nice through race day. It should be a great day.

To answer your question about climbing. There is not a lot of climbing at Lowes Creek. The longest climbs are on the single track, but only a minute a piece. The toughest climbs are on the ski trail as those tend to be steeper and you are trying to go faster there anyway. Lowes Creek though is a course that really tests your endurance as to go fast you have to be on the pedals almost the whole time. There are no sustained down hills to catch your breath on. I had an off day yesterday and suffered. You'll want to do all you can to try and make sure you set yourself up for a good day. Food, water and rest. I would say in the Sport lap that there is quite a bit of single track. There are periods where it'll go for some time with no passing area, so when you hit the ski trail, get on it, if you are needing to pass. As far as percentage of single track...I'd say 65-70%. But that's just a wild ass guess. It's the best course we've put together though.

We have an addition to the end of the initial roll out. The tentative name of the addition is "Whoops". It's at the end of a mile long roll out and should be fun, both to ride and watch. Think bmx/pump track. It's brand new and sick! And brutal when trying to keep your speed up on the second lap.

Other trails, such as Thrillville and Willinator have been tweaked and dialed in to perfection. The wood berm on Onion really made that trail flow. Our old favorites such as Rad, Skull and Red Flint are back as well and riding to near perfection.

I'll be racing Sport as well and hope to fair better thann last night. See you at the start line.

Anymore questions shout out.

To see the course map see:

CORBA: Chippewa Off Road Bike Association

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the detailed reply,sounds like a fun course. I asked about the climbing because my climbing ability is better than my single track skills. I will bring some grippier tires along just in case it rains more this week. Terribly dry around here, can't buy a drop of rain and the corn is dying in the fields.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Those on the fence... don't miss out. Lowes Creek is in STELLAR shape right now. The best course we've ever had!