mtbr member
    Aug 2008

WORS - Firecracker

Check out this sweet wood berm we just built for you guys. The race course is really going to be sweet this year!

lowes creek mountain bike photo || SINGLETRACKS.COM

Sweep the leg!
    I get you're trying to prevent erosion, but I would rather avoid an area than ride a man-made trail.

Which part of the course is this on?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This is the bottom of Onion prior to the bridge crossing. The rocky drop near the creek if you arenít familiar with the names. Erosion was an issue yes, but itís not like it was a wetland we were crossing over. The reason we went with a wood structure is that the areas floods nearly every other year after a very heavy rain and would wash out any other earthen type structure we made. It has floated our bridge away a couple of times in the last few years and it is very annoying trying to relocated a heavy wooden structure. The new berm is massive and has posts sunk pretty far to anchor the whole system down. This was to solve the continued problem in that one spot while still maintaining the super-fun Onion drop. A rocked berm was considered but we werenít convinced it would survive a flood event. Hope everyone loves the rideÖ.we sure do.

Sweep the leg!
    If I remember the layout, the onion is the other side of the pedestrian bridge? On the race lap you'd come out of that section right at the end of the bridge as you're headed back to the S/F? North-west-ish?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The Onion drop is on the same side as the start/finish (Expo Center side of the park) It's just before you cross over the pedestrian bridge and head over to the west side of the park and do Thrillville, Rad, Rebench and Willonator (formerly WTF).

Hope this helps. Here's a map. http://chippewaoffroad.org/wordpress...etterPlain.pdf

Onion is the black trail right in the middle of the map...it's one way, East to West.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome, can't wait to for the trails at the WORS race! Keep up the hard work!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Lowes Creek rules

I love your trails. I can't wait to come up there and ride again.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    I rode this last weekend and had a blast! The first time I wasn't as prepared as I could have been, but the second time through it was sick! No brakes for the rock drop now. Just rip it. I appreciate the change since I've definitely bailed off that bridge before due to the unique entry. I also commend the general condition of all the trails there. Thrillville has settled in well, and I like the changes made to some other sections as well. Great work! Many thanks to CORBA and all the volunteers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thrillville got about 50 man hours worth of work done to it on 4/7 so it should ride pretty well now!

In all we had about 184 hours worth of work done on 4/7. CORBA volunteers have really showed up big this year and we are all very proud of our volunteers and trails this year. The course is going to be awesome this year. We can't wait!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo73 View Post
    Check out this sweet wood berm we just built for you guys. The race course is really going to be sweet this year!

lowes creek mountain bike photo || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    Looks sweet!

On another note, it seems the "Firecracker" is getting further and further away from the 4th of July every year. What's up with that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    We are at the mercy of WORS scheduling. Not much we can do about it.