• 01-07-2013
    kitsapfreerider
    Well it has been some time since I have posted here but I have an update. Since I moved to WI I have become more involved with the local bike community. As of spring of last year I installed a 2 mile trail in an undisclosed location in Oshkosh. It has some features and is soon to have another 1-2 miles installed. It is definitely not freeride but will have a very flowy fast feel once completed. Things like all corners bermed, whoops, bridges, rock gardens, etc. Stay tuned because if all goes as planned it will be open to the public for a small fee(cover future build costs).

    On the other hand if someone would get there hands on a Grand Chute Future Rec Development Plan they will see that in 2013 there is 75k allotted to create a second freeride bike park on the north end of the city. With and expected +$75k match by the community. It is being built by the same company who built the Valmont bike park in Colorado. Drawings come out soon. It will have a technical mountain bike loop, DJ lines, pump track, dual slalom, slope style, and much more.

    More to come...
  • 01-09-2013
    redman27
    That is quite the tease....right now the closest decent ride is 45 min or more! I'm already contemplating where it could be :)
  • 01-09-2013
    kitsapfreerider
    I know, I hate to do that. Unfortunately I can't tell the location of the current oshkosh trail. I have to get approval from some uppers before I can release the location. I am working with someone on a project out west of oshkosh about 15 minutes. If it gets approved we will be assembling a trail crew to build an XC/AM loop. This spring will be good though. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in building in and around Oshkosh.
  • 08-31-2013
    scottvt
    Any update on the Oshkosh project(s)?
  • 09-03-2013
    Nitr0
    Re: Wisconsin Freeride Found!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any update on this appleton/grand chute project? Im in the appleton area and looking

    Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2
  • 09-05-2013
    scottvt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Nitr0 View Post
    Any update on this appleton/grand chute project? Im in the appleton area and looking

    Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

    No longer happening. Search Art Lecker here for more details. Last I heard they were looking for a new location since DNR denied the original plan at Art Lecker Park.
  • 03-30-2014
    slowride454
    anything new? Does the trail near the Dells still exist?
  • 03-31-2014
    cglasford
    so the "Grand Chute Future Rec Development Plan" isn't happening any more?
  • 03-31-2014
    bitflogger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    anything new? Does the trail near the Dells still exist?

    These posts were started a long time ago. From all I've seen the Vertical Illusions business is still only an outfitter for zip line, rock climbing, and water sports.

    Devil's Head is a commercial riding place near but has not had consistent development or quality new school trail development. I'm not aware of their marketing, sending info or having quality building like the Rock Complex. A Devil's Head update would be nice.

    There are some DH style trails in the Madison area that are not commercial sites. Change is present there because the land owners/managers are not allowing history to repeat where some combination of unsustainable or poor build quality and enthusiasts not maturing or sticking around leaves them with a deteriorating mess. For these non-commercial sites Quarry Ridge and Middleton Bike Park have budgets and good land managers. Blackhawk Ski Club new reduced summer membership fees and is in a multi-year reset that includes a budget and professionals assessing the property. Those are already a ways from Dells area. The Rock is even farther.

    It would be sweet to see a group of downhill riders mature and make something sustainable whether that's supporting a business or their own work.
  • 03-31-2014
    slowride454
    I live in Appleton, but vacation in The Dells a few times a summer. My brother-in-law lives in Madison, so I get down there often. I just never bring the MTB along, because I don't know where to go with limited "me" time. I usually just bring my commuter bike to get early morning rides in.
  • 03-31-2014
    cglasford
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by scottvt View Post
    No longer happening. Search Art Lecker here for more details. Last I heard they were looking for a new location since DNR denied the original plan at Art Lecker Park.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kitsapfreerider View Post
    Well it has been some time since I have posted here but I have an update. Since I moved to WI I have become more involved with the local bike community. As of spring of last year I installed a 2 mile trail in an undisclosed location in Oshkosh. It has some features and is soon to have another 1-2 miles installed. It is definitely not freeride but will have a very flowy fast feel once completed. Things like all corners bermed, whoops, bridges, rock gardens, etc. Stay tuned because if all goes as planned it will be open to the public for a small fee(cover future build costs).

    On the other hand if someone would get there hands on a Grand Chute Future Rec Development Plan they will see that in 2013 there is 75k allotted to create a second freeride bike park on the north end of the city. With and expected +$75k match by the community. It is being built by the same company who built the Valmont bike park in Colorado. Drawings come out soon. It will have a technical mountain bike loop, DJ lines, pump track, dual slalom, slope style, and much more.

    More to come...

    anyone know anything on this bike park project? did they find a new location or eta?
  • 04-01-2014
    arkon11
    If you guys are interested in some nice DH/FR stuff, send me a PM. We'll talk. I'm not going to publicly post up the spot.
  • 04-03-2014
    brassnipples
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    My brother-in-law lives in Madison, so I get down there often. I just never bring the MTB along, because I don't know where to go with limited "me" time.

    There's plenty of good dirt riding in and around Madison these days, it would be well worth bringing the bike along, check out madcitydirt.com.
  • 04-05-2014
    Westorbust
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    It would be sweet to see a group of downhill riders mature and make something sustainable whether that's supporting a business or their own work.

    I don't really see that ever happening in S. Wisco. There just isn't a user base big enough to have mature individuals interested in long term development. Not only that, the landscape isn't entirely conducive to downhill style trails that take more than 1.5 minutes to finish. XC riding or road bikes? Sure.

    I haven't ridden at Blackhawk but I've spent plenty of time at Quarry Ridge and the trails can be fun, but they are painfully short, obviously due to acreage constraints.
  • 04-05-2014
    cglasford
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    I don't really see that ever happening in S. Wisco. There just isn't a user base big enough to have mature individuals interested in long term development. Not only that, the landscape isn't entirely conducive to downhill style trails that take more than 1.5 minutes to finish. XC riding or road bikes? Sure.

    I haven't ridden at Blackhawk but I've spent plenty of time at Quarry Ridge and the trails can be fun, but they are painfully short, obviously due to acreage constraints.

    Isn't the rock in southern wi? That looks pretty solid. I think the key to any scene is having the opportunity to do it. Of course there isn't interest in freeride and dh if there is no where to do it. Its no different than bmx racing or dirt jumping. You won't have a bunch of people doing it unless someone steps up and builds it. The longer it is established the more popular it will become but it can't be hush hush if you really want to try and establish a scene and grow the sport.
  • 04-05-2014
    cglasford
    The popularity of cycling sports like road riding and street bmx is simply due to the ease of accessibility . You don't have a park scene if you don't have a good park... go to toma and Warren's and the riders are killer park riders due to jellystone... just saying have to build it to have it
  • 04-05-2014
    Westorbust
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cglasford View Post
    Isn't the rock in southern wi? That looks pretty solid. I think the key to any scene is having the opportunity to do it. Of course there isn't interest in freeride and dh if there is no where to do it. Its no different than bmx racing or dirt jumping. You won't have a bunch of people doing it unless someone steps up and builds it. The longer it is established the more popular it will become but it can't be hush hush if you really want to try and establish a scene and grow the sport.

    Right, you'll have a few official places, like the Rock in Franklin or Blackhawk outside of Madison, and probably some unsanctioned/private areas that are only for the "in the know" folks, and if the scene keeps moving forward there could be more, but DH/freeride is certainly a younger person's discipline. It takes long term development and land management to make these things work. Bmx isn't nearly as popular today as it was when I was a kid in the 80's, but there are still Bmx tracks scattered throughout Wisco.

    If people will fork out the money for fees to support a park/trail system, then it may work, but long term wise, I doubt it.

    Every single ski throughout the midwest could easily support a DH trail system if there was widespread interest. People are all over the ski/snowboard hills in the winter, but then the barrier to entry for DH/freeride bike riding is orders of magnitude greater than snowboards and skis.
  • 04-05-2014
    cglasford
    Right every ski hill could support it and I think they might. We will have to wait and see but if places like the rock, grand rapids mn and spirit mt in duluth take off I think you will see more and more ski hills add dh as a summer activity.
    I won't argue that freeride/ dh/bmx are more youth oriented but you can pretty easily do it into your 40s.
    I really think the Midwest needs to start embracing more alternative riding opportunities if they want to get more youth into the sport and help it grow. Xc,CX and road are just not that appealing to young riders. The high school league is helping but most kids into bijes around here ride street bmx and bmx racing is loosing popularity but street is gaining. It all comes down to availability. We need more alternative riding opportunities like bike parks and lift acces to help grow the sport of mtb
  • 06-03-2014
    dwnhlldav
    In regards to the Grand Chute park. I don't ever see that happening... It went around and around between the town board and park commission. The last meeting that I know of included some discussion of building single track at Prairie hill park, but it needed to go around the town board/park commission merry-go-round again. I'm not holding my breath...

    If you want to get more involved in getting more trails in the Fox Valley, check out Fox Valley Mountain Bikers which is part of the Northeast Wisconsin Trails IMBA chapter. FVMTB: Fox Valley Mountain Bikers