singletracksuperfreak

Winter road trip with bikes-best way to deal with SALT??

Well it's that time of year. Looking to escape WI & head west to do some biking in Sedona area in the next month or two. (may stop by NAHBS on our way out in Denver

I've researched this topic a bit on the 'net & see there are a lot of varying opinions, but I would just like to get some feedback, & hear what the fine folks cruising the mtbr boards have to say about their experiences traveling with their beloved (read: expensive) bikes in less than ideal conditions.

Just picked up a hitch rack, so I'd like to stick with that, since it will save us significant mpg on the 2k mile trip. Does anybody have any ideas for covering bikes to avoid the salt spray? At the moment, I'm thinking we just bite the bullet, & soap & rinse down the bikes when we get there. Short, of having a covered trailer this seems to be the best (practical) option.

Interested to hear your ideas

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I will be making that trip in a few weeks also. I disassemble the bikes and put them in the car. Benefits include, no salt damage, no rack to fail, reduced chance of theft, and no damage to the bikes from the rack.

singletracksuperfreak
    May have to go that route...will definitely keep the salt OFF!

You doing the NAHBS/Sedona combo as well?!

viva la v-brakes!
    +1. We usually disassemble the bikes and keep them inside for the big highway miles, then shuttle them around on the rear rack once we reach our destination.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Swagman RV Hitch Mount Bike Cover | Overstock.com

I have one of these and it keeps the salt off. Not great for gas milage and it might block your tail lights though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I use a minivan

I can get the whole family and all of our bikes inside standing up on a fork-mount rack. Once the kids are in full-sized bikes this will not work with the second row of seats up. The bikes will have to be disassembled. I have also used a truck with a topper with opening side-windows and that works just as well. And looks cooler too. Though really not any more practical.