Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Winter riding today at Pets - Kenosha WI.

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Efff 
#1 ·
Got a chance for a morning ride out at Petrifying Springs today. There was a bit of everything out there . Some nice firm frozen dirt, some icey hardpacked snow, some crusty snow, some deeper snow, some water and mud (not much), and some hard ice. The sections of hard ice are going to be a problem if you don't have fully studded tires.
It's a bit unusual to be able to ride these trails just two days after some of them were under several feet of water, but that's the upside to winter. You can see in the 1st pic how the flooding picked up a slab of ice from the river and dropped it right in the middle of the trail.
Overall, a bit slow going, very bububububumpy, lots of granny gear riding, and some walking, but a good time considering the time of year.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Efff said:
Damn, people need to post when they are going to ride so I can tag along! Looks like the trail conditions are pretty good considering the weather lately.
Well based on your comment on another thread about the trails at Pets being too slow (I'm assuming you rode them in summer), I don't think you're going to like riding them in winter conditions like these. I doubt my average speed was more than 5mph. The snow is slow, the ice is scary, and even the parts that look clean are bumpy as hell and a bit icy. Plus the flooding dropped a whole bunch of new obstacles on the trails (ice, logs, piles of debris). Some of it is fun to try to ride, but a lot of it means you're carrying your bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.