Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

Will I enter a state of permanent despair if I move to Milwaukee from Colorado?

Long story story short: I was a hard core mountain biker in the 90s, then I moved from the UK to Milwaukee in 2000. Got married, had kids and fell out of mountain biking, cause, well it sucked in the Milwaukee area. I got a road bike instead but I hate road biking.... in 2007 moved to Illinois and unbelievably fell back into love with mountain biking with Palos, Saw Wee Kee and some smaller city park systems. In 2011 I had the chance to move to Colorado and jumped on it. This is my dream place. Great trails, great weather and more trails than I could possibly ever ride. I rode so much, I almost got divorced over it.. We worked it out

Now my wife is missing her family and is home sick for Milwaukee again. She hates the idea of pulling me and the kids from Colorado (as we love it here) but I hate that she is homesick for home (she's very concerned her mother may die in the upcoming years so wants to be close). That's very understandable but the idea of moving to Milwaukee depresses me intensely. But, family come first....

So help me out here. I have the horrid thought that now I have tasted the fruit that is Colorado mountain biking that I will never be satisfied with anything else again. Is there a chance I can adjust to riding in the Milwaukee area or is it a lost cause and will I have to take up road biking again? If it is any consolation we would probably move to the Wauwatosa area so at least I would have Hoyt park on my doorstep for local quick evening rides. I mostly ride at anti-social hours (night, very early morning) so as to not take away too much family time. So can I do that or is it all locked down at night?

If I move back then there is an understanding that I will want to go on more "road-trips" to get to places more interesting. What are the target destinations say, 4-6 hours drive from Milwaukee?

mtbr member
    I road mountain bike trails in mke for years. Their are lots of trails in WI you can ride too. Have you checked out https://www.metromountainbikers.com/ very good place to start. Their is john muir bike trail and Greenbush.

I have looked at the MMB site. The good news is that there are more trails in the area then there were in the early 2000s. Still not much though. The issue I had with John Muir was that the system was directional and it did not (at the time) have any connectors to allow shorter loops or variety. After a few rides I got very board with that system. Looking at the current map, there appears to be more loops these days but a lot of it is still one way; that's a drag. I did actually fat bike some of it this last winter in the snow and had some fun so I would imagine that would be my main system out of town.

mtbr member
    At night when no one is around i ride the opposite. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by David_315 View Post
    At night when no one is around i ride the opposite. LOL
    Good to know! Is the system open at night or is there a risk for a ticket?

mtbr member
    John Muir is tell 11pm and I think mke trails are open tell 10pm

Hopefully less mosquitoes after sundown as well eh?

mtbr member
    Just dont stop riding is all. LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't know the MKE trails, but I am in Madison and some trails are a similar distance from both places. There are some really fun trails such as the Kettle Moraine system as long as you like mountain biking for pedaling and varied terrain, not just gravity riding. For the areas 4-6 hours away, look at the CAMBA system near Hayward/Cable and Levis Mound. Perhaps just a little further are the truly world class trails in the Upper Peninsula. Copper Harbor is a scenic drive away, and the Marquette trails look great too. We also have 4 season riding, with a lot of groomed trails for winter fat biking. I love trips to the mountains (summer or winter), but Wisconsin can offer just as much fun if you can appreciate it for what it is. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Milwaukee is one of the many arm pits in America. Not sure why anyone would want to move there.

If I were you I would look further north in the Wausau or Stevens Point area. Many trails to choose from nearby in all directions. None of the trails will ever be Colorado but it beats living in or near that hell hole known as Milwaukee.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TuTh rider
    Dec 2005
    While the MKE trail are not like CO - no need to despair. You won't get 45 min climbs here, but you very much can work on your tech skills and there are multiple places to get 10 mile trail rides in within the city. The trails in Wauwatosa are worth your time as are others.

Check out Strava and see where others are riding. I did over 1000 trails miles in 2016 in and around the city and I ride a Santa Cruz Hightower.

Thanks all for the replies. I may have escaped the move for this year, but 2018 is still a real possibility

mtbr member
    Normsk, Lots of good riding in terms of destinations within 4-6 hours. Duluth (my home) has close to 100 miles of great varied single track, North WI has the Chequamegon trails which are outstanding, and UP MI has Copper Harbor and Marquette area. All these are 4 to 6 hours from Milwaukee. The MTB Project is a great app to have a rough look-around at what there is in a certain area. I have lived out west but really enjoy the more cross coutry aspect of mid-west single track. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    I moved from Washington state to Madison about 23 years and 64 days and 12 hours ago. Or something close to that. My home is there but my life is here. No ocean, no mountains, and I am not going to get into any debates about coffee, beer, and seafood. Big change. Better cheese here; I now love cheese. Great road riding, but I seem to be doing less and less of that. Nonetheless, overall I can't regret it since I have a great wife and great kids. There is riding of all kinds everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    While Wisconsin is not Colorado, there is good mountain biking to be had. You will not find miles of continuous climbing nor descents, but if you can get past that, there are plenty of options within an hour's drive. The John Muir/Emma Carlin trails with connector offer 40+ miles of trails in the Southern Kettle Moraine forest. Because of all the glacial formations, this is not flat countryside riding. Camrock offers a bit of technical riding with a 7 mile loop. Shorter systems offer the opportunity to spin multiple loops for a workout at Minooka Park, Alpha, Tosa Trails (Hoyt & Oak Hill), and driving to the Northern Kettle Moraine will get you New Fane w/ 5.5 miles & Greenbush with 9 miles. Though nothing like Colorado, the closest trail would be Alpine Valley which is an 8 mile loop with the first 1+ mile uphill. Lake Geneva has a few good systems as well. There is a very active mountain biking community and group rides or weekly races are common several nights/week in summer/fall. For a longer weekend trip, as others have mentioned, there is the Cable/Hayward area of Chequamanon, Duluth, Copper Harbor & Houghton, Marquette, MI, and Levis Mound. It's not Colorado, but you also would not die of boredom. The worst part of trails here is late winter & spring when most trails close because they are mud. They often take 1-2 months to dry out from snow/fat-bike season to spring riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There have been quite a few new legal trails added to Southeast Wisconsin in the past 10 years or 15 years. Milwaukee has added several, the Madison area has added some, I live in Kenosha and I now have several within a half hour drive, and a whole bunch within an hour drive. New ones include Silver Lake in Kenosha, Beulah Park just over the state line in Zion IL, Canopy Tours in Lake Geneva, Alpine Valley (I haven't tried that one yet, but hope to this year). Most of these are small trail systems, but I'm at the age where I'd rather just spend an hour or two playing on a small trail system than have an epic ride anyway. I have so much fun on these little trails, that I rarely go the Muir/Carlin any more. Not that there is anything wrong with Muir, I just have many closer options now.
    Some of these trails are just some quick XC, but many have features added to keep interest. If you keep an open mind and take full advantage of what is available, you can have a lot of fun around here.
    And don't forget about an occasional urban ride if you move to the city. If you keep your eyes open and have a little imagination, you can have some fun riding in the city.
    I got a treat on my commute to work this week with a downed tree (actually just a rather large branch) that broke off and landed with a perfect little built-in ramp for a quick log skinny. Actually I did so much playing on my way to work this morning that I now need to true up my rear wheel. Concrete isn't all bad.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.