Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: WI trip in Sept

  1. #1
    SS Rider
    Reputation: peanut09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    207

    WI trip in Sept

    I am planning a trip to visit family in Green Bay, WI in Sept from Colorado. I will be traveling with a very well trained black lab so I need to find dog friendly trails. I like the looks of Levi-Trow. It is a little out of the way of any route from CO to Green Bay. Any good recommendations for me and the dog? Also, I have a fat bike or a yeti 575 and only plan to bring one bike and leaning toward the fat bike thoughts?
    I have been looking into different trail systems like CamRock or Blue Mound but understanding what is dog friendly is the key. Thanks!

  2. #2
    I need skills
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    987

    Nicolet Roche

    50 minutes from Green Bay, Nicolet Roche and other trails near the Bear Paw 3 miles further.

    There are two trails closer to Green Bay. Reforestation and Bairds Creek, but I don't know what they think of dogs. The Roche will be the most unique.

    have fun.
    Charlie

  3. #3
    SS Rider
    Reputation: peanut09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    207
    I guess maybe the other question is if I spend a week and a half in Green Bay is anyone in the area/closeby that would be interested in meeting up to do some riding? I will add that since I grew up there I visit often so it would be cool to know some people to meet up with when I am in town

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10
    When are you coming?

  5. #5
    SS Rider
    Reputation: peanut09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    207
    Dates a little flexible two weeks in Sept. Thinking of running through Levis/trow Mound on the way in to Green Bay or on the way out.
    Last edited by peanut09; 08-09-2012 at 04:57 PM.

  6. #6
    SS Rider
    Reputation: peanut09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    207
    I have been reading up and it looks like a lot has changed in Bairds Creek so I will probably spend a lot of time in there checking out all the trails... So far looks like a fat bike will work well but I am not sure if I have seen pics of the more technical stuff or not. Seems like just a few obsticals on the trail? Bridges, trees accross the trail?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24
    At the risk of ruining everyone's Thursday, can I please ask you to leave the dog at home? God I hate that. Riding at Levis with a dog running around? So, someone else should have to deal with coming around a corner on one of the mounds and have a dog loose? Or anywhere, for that matter. Let me think of some words..."rude," "dangerous," "annoying." Keep in mind, I love dogs. I love animals. That's why I get so goddam*ed mad with people who feel the need to take their goddam*ed dogs everywhere. It's dangerous for the dog, it's dangerous for others, it's even dangerous for you. These are the same geniuses who take their dogs to the store on Saturday when it's 90 degrees and they have the windows just barely cracked. Are you prepared for the liability that comes with bringing an animal onto singletrack trails when there is inevitably an accident? I've never even checked before, but if any of these places do not stipulate no animals on the singletrack trails, they have a glaring, a GLARING, oversight under their noses.

    Sorry for the rant.

  8. #8
    SS Rider
    Reputation: peanut09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
    At the risk of ruining everyone's Thursday, can I please ask you to leave the dog at home? God I hate that. Riding at Levis with a dog running around? So, someone else should have to deal with coming around a corner on one of the mounds and have a dog loose? Or anywhere, for that matter. Let me think of some words..."rude," "dangerous," "annoying." Keep in mind, I love dogs. I love animals. That's why I get so goddam*ed mad with people who feel the need to take their goddam*ed dogs everywhere. It's dangerous for the dog, it's dangerous for others, it's even dangerous for you. These are the same geniuses who take their dogs to the store on Saturday when it's 90 degrees and they have the windows just barely cracked. Are you prepared for the liability that comes with bringing an animal onto singletrack trails when there is inevitably an accident? I've never even checked before, but if any of these places do not stipulate no animals on the singletrack trails, they have a glaring, a GLARING, oversight under their noses.

    Sorry for the rant.
    Chances are if you have a job I will be there when you are at work anyway.
    She is a working dog and stays in a heal position until I release if that bothers you sorry. I wont be leaving her at the house as she has a ton of energy and needs to run. Working in CO she needs to be able to go for hours in any weather.
    Something to consider when your having your rant; chances are I might be going slow some of the time or might even stop to take a pic (and no I wont stop on a blind unless of course I fall off the bike which is possible). Say in control of yourself on your bike, watch for others and you wont have a problem. Other people like to enjoy trails and it is frustrating to hear everyone ***** about everyone else; bikers hate hikers and dogs hikers hate bikers and so on. Get over yourself and buy some property to ride on if everyone else bothers you.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by peanut09 View Post
    Chances are if you have a job I will be there when you are at work anyway.
    She is a working dog and stays in a heal position until I release if that bothers you sorry. I wont be leaving her at the house as she has a ton of energy and needs to run. Working in CO she needs to be able to go for hours in any weather.
    Something to consider when your having your rant; chances are I might be going slow some of the time or might even stop to take a pic (and no I wont stop on a blind unless of course I fall off the bike which is possible). Say in control of yourself on your bike, watch for others and you wont have a problem. Other people like to enjoy trails and it is frustrating to hear everyone ***** about everyone else; bikers hate hikers and dogs hikers hate bikers and so on. Get over yourself and buy some property to ride on if everyone else bothers you.
    See, I was going to try to be pleasant, but then you insisted on digging a deeper hole. I don't hate anyone on the trails. In fact, I invariably pull over for hikers or other cyclists when they approach. I am painfully respectful of others. This is the prime reason I would never bring a dog on trails devoted to mountain biking. It's rude and it's dangerous. I have no problem sharing the trails with other people. I do, however, have a problem sharing trails with pets. Can you comprehend that an animal on the trail, regardless how "trained" they are, adds a possible danger above and beyond that of a human? I'm touched by your interesting thought at the end. I'll call it an amended "Love it or leave it" kind of warped logic: Apparently, if I don't want to share singletrack mountain bike trails with unleashed pets, my only recourse is to build my own trail. How communitarian and reasonable of you.

    Leaving aside your inability to take into consideration the rights of others, can you comprehend that you're putting your dog in danger by bringing it on the trails? Have you ever considered the consequences of an encounter with another person on the trails? Let me tell a few of the ways you're putting your animal at risk:

    1. Whether it's following you, "heeling" or in front of you, another cyclist could blindside it from behind in front or on the side. Singletrack is not like a sidewalk. Any of the trails mentioned in this thread offer opportunities for someone to run into you or the dog by accident, with no forewarning.

    2. The dog accidentally gets in the way of another cyclist, causing an accident. In this case, you will be liable for any possible injuries and other damages sought by the victim.

    3. Not all folks are like you and me. They share no fondness for animals. Some are agressive towards pets, other people's pets, particularly if they see the dog as a possible threat to them or someone with them, like a child. They may strike the animal, which may in turn provoke a response from your dog. I have seen this before.

    So, leave aside the fact that you don't care how I or someone else could be affected by your need to take a dog out on these trails and consider how it might affect your dog or you.

    BTW, how do you carry food and water for the dog when you go out cycling? Out of what does she drink?

  10. #10
    SS Rider
    Reputation: peanut09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    207
    Please go troll a different persons posting... You have your opinion and you made it clear in your first post. It is based on your perception of your reality just as mine is of mine. If you have a problem because of something you experienced you should have dealt with it with that person at that time not someone else that you don't know.
    Move on to something else please; I was looking for information and you are not adding to the topic of my posting.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    214
    If you hit Levis mid week, I doubt you will even see another rider. It isn't a heavily used trail system on the weekends and probably is pretty empty during the week.

  12. #12
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,749
    Nicholet Roche and Bear Paw for sure!
    And I love beer!!

  13. #13
    =========
    Reputation: ~gomez~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,856
    Levis, under down and roche sorta line up west to east if you wander around a bit on your way across the state and are all low rider density trails. Well trained dogs are awesome! It's very common to see dogs out on the trails in Colorado. It sounds like you've got a good handle on picking the right time (weeekdays) and you had the courtesy to ask where the appropriate places that were (low population density trails) and if your dog is truly friendly and well trained, I think you'll have a splendid visit. One thing I always worried about with bringing my dogs to Levis is Porcupines. There's one spot up on Toad Road (I think) that has a huge pile or porcupine pellets near a den along the bluff. My dogs are too big to run with me on the trails, but I still don't ever want to see them with a face full of quills. It hasn't ever stopped me from bringing them camping there, but it's always in the back of my mind.

    Happy Trail
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

  14. #14
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,156
    there is a bunch of dogs at bairds - most of them are with hikers
    pm me when you are here
    I will ride with ya
    bring the 575
    Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    249
    Dogs are totally ok at Bairds. Totally not ok at Reforestation Camp - no pets allowed.

  16. #16
    SS Rider
    Reputation: peanut09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    there is a bunch of dogs at bairds - most of them are with hikers
    pm me when you are here
    I will ride with ya
    bring the 575
    Sj
    Cool sounds good!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    237
    My buddy, Chris of White Lake, runs his dog with us often at Nicolet Roche (River Tr. too) and Levis Trow and...Percy is great running with us and has never caused any problems for anyone. She seems to have a strange understanding of what we do and can run forever! I would be interested in meeting up as I am centrally located to Levis, 9Mile, Underdown, Nicolet Roche. Send a message if interested and I will reply with a cellphone number. Welcome Home and Have FUN!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12
    I agree with Charlie and Steve O'Punc check out Nicolet Roche for sure!!! The dog is totally cool out there.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    82
    My girlfriend and I rode Levis on wednesday with my dog....we had the place to ourselves and my dog loved me for bringing her along. On multidirectional trails a well behaved dog is no more of a liability then an oncoming mountain biker, gotta be in control regardless. Hope you and your dog enjoy your trip to Wisconsin. I'm a huge fan of Levis, it's my local trail and I never really tire of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •