Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Where's the Love for Greenbush?

Hey guys and gals. Where's the love for the new Greenbush trails and local trail advocate for the area, me? I didn't know these polls were up or I would have made a nomination. Anyway just being a smart a#$ I hope everyone is enjoying the new trails. Everytime I ride them I think to myself all the hours of digging, picking rocks, and cutting roots was worth it. Be sure to check out Kettlepalooza. Hopefully by then we'll be working on loop four otherwise we'll be improving on what we all ready have as a few problem areas have shown since the traffic has increased. Since GB didn't make the list I'll be voting for the Roche trail. That place ROCKS if you know what I mean.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think it's because the Greenbush trails are still pretty new (the singletrack) and not a lot of riders get out that way.
    I haven't ridden Greenbush yet but it's on my list. I ski the trails there occasionally and if the mountain bikers up there put the kind of love into the trails that the XC skiers do, it should be awesome. It's a good 2 hour drive for me each way so it's a little outside my normal stomping grounds. I can be at the Southern Kettles in less than an hour and I have some pretty decent local trails here in Kenosha as well.
    Between the new stuff a Greenbush, all the new stuff around Madison, and the new stuff in Milwaukee , I have more choices than time.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Does this make you feel better?

I raced the 12 hr at Greenbush earlier this year. What an excellent trail! I was not expecting the ride to be as fun as it was (was expecting New Fane).

The trails flow extremely well. The roller coaster like section right near the trailhead was a blast. This trail is well worth the drive from Waukesha. Excellent job!

mtbr member

Where are they?

New rider here looking for trails in the Appleton area, where are the Greenbush trails?

mtbr member
    I finally got to ride the Greenbush trails and they are awesome. I almost dont want to admit that because I would like to keep them to myself. Props to who ever the crew was that built them. They are obviosly built by real mtbr's. You can tell by the flow that a lot of effort was put into them to gain the most out whats available.

From Appleton it is bit of a haul but well worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jamorgan3777
    New rider here looking for trails in the Appleton area, where are the Greenbush trails?
    From Appleton take Hwy. 41 South to Fond du Lac. Exit Hwy. 23 east and continue about 15-20 miles and you'll see a sign for the city of Greenbush and I think there is a recreation sign for Greenbush also. Hang a right and that will take you into Greenbush. Don't blink or you'll miss it. Turn right at the feed mill, I think that's Cty. T. and follow about 1 mile out of town. Instead of following "T" veer left onto Kettle Moraine Drive. There should be a recreation sign there. Keep following the signs and you'll find it. There is an upper and lower trail head.

Pegasus Baby!
    Mar 2009
    Great trails. A little ruff on the cross bike (its all i had with) but should be amazing when i get back with fat tires.

mtbr member
    just rode these. Let me get the criticism out of the way first:

-Update the trailhead map!! Also, when we rode the first loop to the right, you come out by the group camp ground/parking lot, but there are no clear markings/direction to keep going? We had to ride the gravel rode all the way through the campground back to where the trails were to catch the second loop. Am i missing something?
    -try and utilize some of the elevation change more in the area if you can. I spied a couple of HUGE valleys that you could build some wicked roller coaster like rides down through, and some killer climbs back up. I am a sucker for wicked downhills and uphills though

positives:
    -some of the best FLOWing trails in Wisco. Although they are def. trying to utilize as much space as possible (ie winding), they flow really nicely through the area. You can pump-track your way through long sections without pedaling
    -i liked the little rock garden pile to go over. Keep the option of obstacles, natural and not coming!
    -great use of different terrain throughout.
    -great trail that experts or beginners can enjoy, lots of little elevation changes that keep the momentum going.
    -good amount of small rocks to keep you on your toes

overall I liked it. Its still freshy fresh, so I can understand the lack of map. I rode Greenbush a few years ago for the first time and was severely disappointed, vowing never to come back to the 'cross country ski trails'. I went on a wim with with a few friends that do not bike much, and came away with a huge grin which is important.

Keep up the great work, and hopefully there is more land out there that you can cut in another 10 mile loop. I think you could attract a lot more bikers hungry for trails north of Milwaukee/south of Green Bay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Greenbush Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by motard5
    just rode these. Let me get the criticism out of the way first:

-Update the trailhead map!! Also, when we rode the first loop to the right, you come out by the group camp ground/parking lot, but there are no clear markings/direction to keep going? We had to ride the gravel rode all the way through the campground back to where the trails were to catch the second loop. Am i missing something?
    -try and utilize some of the elevation change more in the area if you can. I spied a couple of HUGE valleys that you could build some wicked roller coaster like rides down through, and some killer climbs back up. I am a sucker for wicked downhills and uphills though

positives:
    -some of the best FLOWing trails in Wisco. Although they are def. trying to utilize as much space as possible (ie winding), they flow really nicely through the area. You can pump-track your way through long sections without pedaling
    -i liked the little rock garden pile to go over. Keep the option of obstacles, natural and not coming!
    -great use of different terrain throughout.
    -great trail that experts or beginners can enjoy, lots of little elevation changes that keep the momentum going.
    -good amount of small rocks to keep you on your toes

overall I liked it. Its still freshy fresh, so I can understand the lack of map. I rode Greenbush a few years ago for the first time and was severely disappointed, vowing never to come back to the 'cross country ski trails'. I went on a wim with with a few friends that do not bike much, and came away with a huge grin which is important.

Keep up the great work, and hopefully there is more land out there that you can cut in another 10 mile loop. I think you could attract a lot more bikers hungry for trails north of Milwaukee/south of Green Bay.
    Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll try to address some of your concerns. I don't have control over some of these things since it is a state park and the DNR handles things like trail maps and signs but I will forward these complaints to the appropriate individuals. As you stated the trail is very new so there are some growing pains. I'm assuming you started at the upper parking lot. You actually started on loop two. Where you came out by the parking lot is the start of loop 1. There is a sign by the triangle rock pile at the start of loop one showing which direction the trail goes.

As far as utilizing the terrain. IMBA layed out the trail. The trail is meant to be entirely bench cut with the goal of traversing the hills. I agree that some of the valleys and terrain could have been utilized better but besides IMBA laying it out the State needed to have it approved for environmental impact before construction could begin. Steep uphills and downhills probably would not have passed due to errosion issues. The trail was designed for sustainability

I'm glad you enjoyed the ride overall. It is definately an improvement over the old ski trails. Unfortunately there are no plans for additional trail at Greenbush other than the 2-3 miles that will be added to complete loop 4. There is however 5-6 miles being constructed as week speak at New Fane which is about 15 miles from Greenbush. Once this project is done construction will resume at Greenbush to finish the final loop. See the Kettlepalooza post for details on a trail building celebration we'll be having in the fall.

mtbr member
    thanks for the response!

What will the overall length be of the singletrack at Greenbush? (ie if one were to ride all 4 loops)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5
    thanks for the response!

What will the overall length be of the singletrack at Greenbush? (ie if one were to ride all 4 loops)
    Should be about 10 miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I also hit Greenbush for the first time. I ran into two separate groups of riders going the wrong way that were turned around...and out of water. I MAY be able to see the possibility of complication, but just try to use your head when out there as the signage only seems to be directed in one way.

I loved it, big props on how the trails flow. The back-half of loop 3 is great fun! I would like to see some more technical spots as well, but I also believe it's a good place to work on your average speed to keep the challenge up.

Thank you to all who have maintained this trail. I look forward to hitting loop 4 when it's completed!
    2009 Trek 4500

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Loop 4 Roughed In

Loop 4 at Greenbush has been roughed in. Everyone show up to Kettlepalooza so we can get the finish work done and ride it in all weekend.

mtbr member

Here's some love for Greenbush

Finally got up to Greenbush today. Two words...awe and some. Rode all 4 loops and had a blast. Really nice flow to the whole layout. Loop 4 is still a little raw, but that's to be expected. It's obvious that a lot of planning and work went into building those trails and it definitely paid off. With all the rain we just had, I was amazed that there was almost no mud. The slippery roots, rocks, and leaves made things interesting though...had to take it a little easy. Can't wait to get back when it's dry and fast.

Excellent work...joins Rock Lake, Makwa, and Smokin Spoke in my favorite trails list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    here is my $.02.

the system is kinda disappointing. sorry, but there it is. the bench-cutting is waaaaaaaay overdone. i like a fun flowing benchcut as much as the next guy, but the entire system being practically nothing BUT benchcuts gets kinda irksome.

i understand the purpose of the technique. i also understand that there are other ways to utilize terrain to provide a balanced and varied ride experience. the terrain there could indeed have some ridgetop rollers, and some fun bobsled-type sections in the never-ending valleys and kettles. these varied features could be every bit as sustainable as a benchcut, but they are practically nonexistant in the current trail. asit sits, the trail strikes me as being the result of somebodygeting a new ditch-witch for him or herself, and just going plumb loco with it. like i say - overdone !! it's a shame, cuz it coulda been so much more. i feel no desire to go charging back to the place to ride, sad to say. the overpowering one-dimensional nature of the trail had me almost annoyed inside of 2 hours last time i rode there.

sorry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by T mon T
    here is my $.02.

the system is kinda disappointing. sorry, but there it is. the bench-cutting is waaaaaaaay overdone. i like a fun flowing benchcut as much as the next guy, but the entire system being practically nothing BUT benchcuts gets kinda irksome.

i understand the purpose of the technique. i also understand that there are other ways to utilize terrain to provide a balanced and varied ride experience. the terrain there could indeed have some ridgetop rollers, and some fun bobsled-type sections in the never-ending valleys and kettles. these varied features could be every bit as sustainable as a benchcut, but they are practically nonexistant in the current trail. asit sits, the trail strikes me as being the result of somebodygeting a new ditch-witch for him or herself, and just going plumb loco with it. like i say - overdone !! it's a shame, cuz it coulda been so much more. i feel no desire to go charging back to the place to ride, sad to say. the overpowering one-dimensional nature of the trail had me almost annoyed inside of 2 hours last time i rode there.

sorry.

And here's an opinion from someone who actually enjoys mountain biking (me): Greenbush is the shiznazzle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

nyuk nyuk

i enjoy mtn biking plenty, my friend, and lots of it. the man asked an opinon on a system, and i gave it. sorry for that. let me amend it to a norm for ya, tho:

yeah, greenbush is great. best ever. nothing better anywhere. etc etc.

Weird Eh
    I love Greenbush. I`ll be making the trek fro Illinoizze many times. Digging the new Salamander Trail btw. It will give Southern Kettle a run for it`s money

Midnight Rider

greenbush

count me in. two thumbs up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

No good

Quote Originally Posted by T mon T
    here is my $.02.

sorry.
    Sorry, but where were you with your opinion for the last three years while some of us busted our tails building the trail? Your opinion would have been respected if you were standing shoulder to shoulder with a mcloud in hand. Some of your desires could have been granted. To come on here after the fact with your negative opinion garners zero respect.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    So only someone that helped build the trail is allowed to have a valid opinion of them?
    Seems a bit closed minded.

I love the northern Kettles but havent been to the new Greenbush trails yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    So only someone that helped build the trail is allowed to have a valid opinion of them?
    Seems a bit closed minded.

I love the northern Kettles but havent been to the new Greenbush trails yet.
    No not at all. The riding at GB isn't for everyone and that is fine if that is your opinion. But to rip on the trails because you don't agree with how they were constructed is lame. There were reasons the trail was laid out and constructed the way it was. The point I was trying to make is if you want to have a say in how trails are designed and constructed. Then get involved in the build process. Whether we are talking about GB or some other system.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Seems a bit closed mind.
    Using the word "valid" means "yes" to your question. The above criticism went beyond an opinion and ventured into "2nd guessing" the trail builders.

I am sure if the poster came to some trail days, he would be welcomed, as would suggestions phrased as "has ...... been considered?".
    Charlie

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's understandable that those that invest the time to build the trails may take offense to criticism from someone that hasn't volunteered for that specific trail, but the guy has a right to post his opinion on these forums. And yes, that includes being able to 2nd guess the trail builders. It doesn't mean that the trail builders were wrong or that they should make changes just because someone doesn't like what they did, it just means that there are other opinions. Maybe these other opinions are useful to someone, maybe they're not.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

nope

I read the user agreement. No where does it state any of us have any "rights" to post anything here.

The subject of this debate has clearly violated section 3, paragraph a) of the Nealy Way of Mountain Bike Knowledge: "Thou shalt be cool."

The arguments can be best summed up by the following comic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where's the Love for Greenbush?-trail-build2.gif  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast