mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Whats good near Madison, Wisconsin?

I am considering transferring to this fine school for their Geology program, and I wanted to know what the mountain biking scene is like there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Ballstein Models
    Check out madcitydirt.org There is plenty of high quality riding and plenty more in the pipeline.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Your profile says you're in Atlanta, I made the same move about a decade ago. If you ride in the north Georgia mountains much you will miss that, there isn't anything in the state that compares. What you will find here is far less driving to get to good quality trails. You won't have to drive more than 30 minutes from downtown to get to a number of really good trails and there are several that you can easily ride to.

Longer drives (1hr+) can take you to some really epic trails.

Cycling in general is incomprehensibly easier and better in Madison than Atlanta. You'd be moving from one of the worst cycling city's in the country to one of the best. There are two really good racing series in the state too if you are into that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It depends on the riding. If you like freeriding and urban, there is a group of us that have our little spot in the wood in downtown, no more than a 5 minute ride to there. We have a pump track currently, next spring are most likely putting in dirt jumps, and there are plenty of spot to find around campus.

If you like XC riding, then you're all set too. 1/2 hour west of Madison is Blue mounds, which is a gnarly, rocky, rooted mess of a place, and I absolutely love it. If you go north, there is a little more elevation, and if you go way north into the national forest, there are some epic rides up there.

Check out madcitydirt.org, like was mentioned. There is a big group of us in the madison area that are constantly working on trails and putting new stuff in. I also goto UW Madison, good school, you'll most likely love it.

EDIT: I also believe that Wisconsin is only second to Cali as far as biking trails. We don't have a lot of elevation here, but there are tons of good places to ride at.

mtbr member
    I've never been to Atlanta, so I can't compare.

What the Madison area lacks: Big elevation. Forget it, there are no mountains. If you're into the gravity end of mountain biking, you will be disappointed. Epic length trails. There is only one within an hour's drive that has over 20 miles of trail.

But there are several good shorter trails close to the city. The local club is actively working toward more and better trail riding. The roads are excellent for bikes if you're into that. If you don't mind sitting in a car for a few hours, there are great trails scattered all over the state, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan has some bigger hills.

It doesn't stack up to places like Moab, Fruita, or even Asheville, but it's not bad.

Walt

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quarry Ridge: short but sweet, i love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Blackhawk. Its member only, but the small fee. I think its 20$ for the yer, but its very very worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Like some of the other folks mentioned here, be prepared to get in the car to drive for mountain biking. Quarry Park is on the west side of town--very tight, technical single-track just behind the Whole Foods. Road biking and commuting dominates the bike culture there. I never did much mountain biking in the 8 years I lived there. Kettle Moraine, about 1 hour southeast, is a nice trail system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This old thread is a little dated now. If you are living in the city, it is one of the easiest cities anywhere to get around by bike. There are now at least three mountain bike systems you can ride to within a 1/2 hour ride of downtown: Quarry Ridge, Quarry Park, and the Middleton Bike Park. Another 25 miles west a rail-trail will take you right to Blue Mound State Park and an epic set of very technical trails. 30 miles to the West and you can ride mostly rail-trail to get to CamRock Park. About 11 miles of trails with a lot of variety. So you have five areas to ride within 30 miles of downtown. You can choose to drive or choose to ride there.
    An hour of driving gets you to places like south Kettles where 40 miles of riding is a good day. An hour and a half north gets you to epic rides like Levis Trow, Standing Rocks, and Nine-Mile. Pretty hard to not scratch your itch in this area of the world, and we keep working to make even more trails to enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The metro area pathways will go to the Middleton Bike Park by May, Quarry Park mentioned here is in the city, and the metro pathways go to Quarry Ridge. Add the bike racks on bus and you do have opportunities to ride dirt without the car.

Watch the madcitydirt.org (.com too) site and you can hook up with people motoring to the other areas mentioned.