mtbr member
    Jan 2008

waukesha over memorial day weekend

So I'll be in Waukesha Wisconsin over the memorial day weekend and was wondering where the nearest trails were? Standard XC riding, doing some training for some upcoming races and just having some fun while I'm at it. Advice and suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks for your help!
    Brien

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm from Oklahoma doing some training here in waukesha and I just did John Muir and Emma Carlin. Those trails are fun but kinda long. The whole round trip, if you combine John Muir blue trail with the connector trail to emma and emma, is around 28 miles. It is a blast and the scenery changes alot. Great ride if you ask me. There's nothing there that is too hard to do except for these climbs on loose gravel by the Emma trail. It's one after the other and they are kinda steep. I also heard of Lapham trail which is multiuse (horses, bikes, hikers). I haven't done that one. The only drawback is that you have to pay to use them and to park. You can get an annual pass for out of state for $35 parking and $20 trail pass. I rode them twice and have spent $30.00 It's worth the annual pass if you are gonna ride more than a day or two. Besides the money goes to working on the parks so it's all good. Daily passes are $10 to park(out of state) and $4 for trail use. If you only have one day, definitely hit the john muir, emma trails.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    the northern unit of the kettle moraine isnt too far away either in Greenbush, Wisco.
    it's open per this update from Friday.
    http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/regions/ser/kmnu.html
    4 loops totalling like 12 miles of fast, hardpacked single track. do 'em all twice and you'll be toast. i'm going there on Sat.
    http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/spe...reenbushtr.pdf
    2008 Gary Fisher Superfly 29'er

I need skills
    Jul 2004

another vote for S Kettles

Southern Kettle is 35 minutes from my house in Waukesha. Northern Kettle is more than an hour away. Alpha trail is also 35 minutes away. If you are here for the weekend, S kettles is the place to go. I am sure other suggestions will follow.

S. Kettles is good riding. Lots of options.
    Cam rock is about 50 minutes away. It is short, but as of 5-1-09 it contains the most fun 100 yards of trail in WI.

Bluemounds takes me over 2 hours to get to. If anybody recommends Bluemounds to you, kick them in the balls. Not because the trail sucks, but if they recommend Bluemound they must love pain.

mtbr member
    Cam-Rock is up to ~ 6 miles as of this spring. I'm going out on a limb and claim that more than 100 yards of it is good. The Expert Section is no joke.

Blue Mound is a long way from Waukesha. No need to kick my 'nads, it's not open yet, probably won't be until 3rd-4th week of May. It is a tough ride, more about skill than aerobic training. 1000' of vertical in 4 miles of Overlode.

S. Kettles is good, if easy, and close to the Milwaukee area. Ride it fast for a bigger challenge. Blast through the rock gardens in Emma, yee haa!

Can't wait to try N. Kettles.

Good to hear you got a chance to ride finally George.

Walt

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    Milwaukee River Trail isn't far, nor is Crysta Ridge or Hoyt Park. River trail is 4-5 miles ( loop ) and Crystal ridge is comparable. Hoyt is a good 16 miles if you hit the connector to Oak Hill / Harley Woods and you can ride most of this pretty fast.

Edit* Harley Woods is under 6-8 inches of water, so make that closer to 6-8 mile ride and do the hoyt loop two or three times to make it a bit longer
    Last edited by Efff; 05-09-2009 at 08:52 PM.