• Steve Morales

5 5.56%
  • Dave Mangan

41 45.56%
  • Harold Schmidt

2 2.22%
    =========

VOTE for the best Advocate in Wisconsin

The Nominations are in and now its time for you to vote for the best trail advocate in Wisconsin.

The awards will be presented at Kettlepalooza on the evening of October third.

Be sure to vote for the best Trail in Wisconsin Here
    Last edited by ~gomez~; 07-22-2009 at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Walt Hougas, Trail Steward of the Blue Mounds Trail system.

mtbr member
    No doubt, Walt Hougas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What about Charlie Johnson, he's my write in vote!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Trailblazer Dave

This one is an easy choice for me - Trailblazer Dave

Bear

Easy one...

Blue Mounds is only a 20 minute pedal down the Military Ridge trail from me. The hours that Walt Hougas puts in on the rocky goodness at BM are simply irreplaceable.

Bear
    www.madcitydirt.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Wisconsin best advocate

The guru of the National Mountain Bike Patrol in Wisconsin and the prime mover of the trail systems at Emma Carlin and John Muir trails inspires greatness and cooperation among volunteers. I been in the midst of numerous organizational starts and there's always someone that takes the lead and commits themselves to the program, but never have I met a person more committed to his mission than Trailblazer Dave. If you haven't met this man yet - and you love mountain biking - you will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Good job! Super Dave!!

Im with Brett, Dave is the man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Trail Advocate

Dave Mangan,

While I do not know the other nominees it is hard to believe anyone could spend more time planning trails, working on the trails, meeting with the DNR or building a loyal and cohesive volunteer trail crew. On any given day of the week you can find Dave at the Kettle near Eagle Wi. riding the trails, fixing the trails and helping first time riders to find their way around the system. There is hardly a sign, trail or map that he has not either placed himself or planned with our friends at the DRN to have installed. Hardly a rock goes unturned that he does not see, notice or has had moved. His volunteers respect, love and enjoy working along side of him.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sounds like Dave and Walt both put in super human hours on the trails. It is easy to say that without Walt Hougas, Blue Mound trails would be a shadow of what they are today. The best technical riding trails in southern WI, bear none. How many people have to actually hoist a sledgehammer around busting rocks just to try and get a trail in? That is the reality of the terrain when Walt builds trails at Blue Mound State Park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Blue Mount

TheMayor1

Blue Mount is a great trail system. I rode it last week during the 12 hour race. The rocks sure are challenging. There was one rock I wished Walt had broke up before I hit it and went over my handle bars. I was glad to end the day and still have my cranks in one piece. I love how the trails flow across the road. I was good to see the bridge built here. It sure make riding better.

Jim

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Dave Mangan,
    With his relentless passion for driving trail improvements, it is easy to forget that he is just a volunteer like us. He takes trail stewardship to an all new level and without him, the fans of the Kettle would be damn depressed. If you really want to show him you care, show your support for his efforts at the next trail workday. He loves that most of all!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiser
    TheMayor1

Blue Mount is a great trail system. I rode it last week during the 12 hour race. The rocks sure are challenging. There was one rock I wished Walt had broke up before I hit it and went over my handle bars. I was glad to end the day and still have my cranks in one piece. I love how the trails flow across the road. I was good to see the bridge built here. It sure make riding better.

Jim
    BM and Keetles are both great systems. Totally different. We are lucky to have these both at our doorsteps in southern WI.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    BikeNMike,

Well said. Thanks to Dave, we have a good group now but think of how much more we could do if we had just 10 more men and women each Saturday.

Jim and sons

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiser
    Dave Mangan,

While I do not know the other nominees it is hard to believe anyone could spend more time planning trails, working on the trails, meeting with the DNR or building a loyal and cohesive volunteer trail crew. On any given day of the week you can find Dave at the Kettle near Eagle Wi. riding the trails, fixing the trails and helping first time riders to find their way around the system. There is hardly a sign, trail or map that he has not either placed himself or planned with our friends at the DRN to have installed. Hardly a rock goes unturned that he does not see, notice or has had moved. His volunteers respect, love and enjoy working along side of him.

Jim
    I have to completely agree with Jim on this one. Dave Mangan is always working on the Southern Kettles trail system. He has such a passion for maintaining the trails it is contagious. Whether it's sunny and nice or cold and raining, he is always in a great mood and it quickly spreads to the rest of the volunteers. Before long we are all having a great time building trail. Without Dave, the southern kettles would not be the awesome trail system it is today.

Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Walt's the man.

=========
    It's great to see that there is so much passion for Wisconsin's trail advocates. One of my goals, when we started planning KettlePalooza and (subsequently) these awards... was to bring Wisconsin Mountain Biker's attention to the awesome work done by these dedicated advocates and provide a celebratory event for them and every individual that volunteers their time to attend their local trail's work days.

I believe that we should give trail advocates the same respect and admiration that is reserved for elite-pro mountain bike racers. It's in all of our best interests to transform trail building into something, as cool as, mtb racing.

Thank you all for your comments about your favorite advocate. Please encourage all of your riding buddies to vote in the poll.......and if you really want to help your favorite trail advocate....attend a work day......if you already attend work days....bring a couple of your ride buddies to a work day and let's all work together to make trail work part of the very fabric of what it means to be a mountain biker.....like a really cool mountain biker.....

There's only a few more days left to vote!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Trailblazer DAVE

Without a DOUBT!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I am sure Walt does great work but I was there 10 years ago when worba was given a clean slate and was given the ok to build "new" trails. Dave has taken the garbage the DNR put out in the woods with and bulldozer and a few loads of lime and turned it around completely into trails you can ride all day long. My hats off to all you guys for your time and efforts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I won't argue that Dave has turned the Kettles around into a fast and more sustainable trail. But look at what Walt has to work with. A mound of rocks that has springs coming out of every crevice. The sheer amount of rock pried out, sledgehammered, hauled and just literally a real pain the the back to work with is astounding. The fact that he has been able to make anything resembling a rideable trail at Blue Mound is amazing and has taken a super human effort.
    Then combine that with the Mound itself, which is essentially a sponge that soaks up water all winter and takes 'till about June to drain out. You have a guy busting his butt all year to provide about 5 months of the best technical riding in southern WI. The amount of routing around wet springs to try and eek out more rideable days is astounding. The man eats and sleeps at the Mound.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There is one very important thing that Dave has over all the other hard-working men on the list. Dave not only has worked tirelessly to make the Kettle the Epic trail ride it is today but also has build the most active Mountain Bike Patrol in Wisconsin. He wears two hats and handles both very well. The Mountain Bike Patrol he directs can be seen at events at Blue Mount, 9 Mile, Cam-Rock and other Mountain Bike trails and events in Wisconsin. His dedication to Mountain Biking adds to the enjoyment and safety of rider not just at the Kettle but many other trails in Southern Wisconsin.

Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Dave is the man

My dad said to vote for Dave or I am grounded. Just kidding. I help build the trails with the guys each week and it's a fun time working on them knowing I get to ride them. Dave makes us young guys feel like we are as important as the men and that keeps me coming back each Saturday to help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Dave is a tireless leader

He inspires young and old alike.....I agree with all the comments. Kudos to everyone in this voting and to all those that help our sport throughout the state!

Mike