mtnjam

Underdown trails...how are they riding?

We're gonna be back to WI in a few weeks visiting family in Merrill. Lady R and I are going to be riding the Underdown and a few others around the area near the end of this month. How are the trails over there holding up?
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fantastic! Some rework has been done, clearing, and better signage to get you where you want to be. It is still a little confusing but better than it had been. Park in the the new lot just to the side of the main lot. Its a clearcut and from here get on the two track/horse trail heading south to A. Follow letters and there are now maps at intersections so it helps big time. Riding out and back off the main trail to Underdown Lake is a must ride. For a short distance of 14 miles it is one hard workout. And from Merrill head east on 64 to Langlade where the Nicolet-Roche Trail is. Take 55 south to Boulder Lake then turn east or left going to Boulder campground. About 1 1/2 miles up campground rd. on a small rise of dark forest you will find the trailhead to the left. Ya have to watch for it! Good signage and excellent singletrack. The Scout section, Northern Reach, are an out and back that also is a must do and perhaps some of the best techy riding. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc
    Park in the the new lot just to the side of the main lot. Its a clearcut and from here get on the two track/horse trail heading south to A.
    Steve Opunc, do you know that there is a new killer singletrack right out of the new lot? You don't have to ride thru a half mile of horse dung to get to the trails anymore!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Ya that would be trail Z which I normally hit on the way back to the parking lot. I am one of those guys that prefers loops over O & B and so I hit it running to A and follow thru till popping back out on the loop road then back down to Z, but sometimes I shake it up differently. I am not a creature of habit, but in this case it sure looks like it, doesn't it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Steve O'Punk and I just got back from Underdown. We had a great ride. Even though it rained a good amount on Friday and Saturday (at least where we're from 30 miles to the west) the trails were in great shape. There was virtually no mud.

After the ride Steve looked resplendant in the Who T-shirt I got for him. Everyone should have a T-shirt celebrating their favorite band unless your favorite band is Kool & The Gang.

These are challenging trails. We did a three hour ride and I'm toast. There is a lot of ups and downs so gears are a must. Also it helps to have a front suspension fork at the least as you will dive into a lot of spots (Steve O'Punk told me the geological name for these formations) and without the fork to compress and bail your sorry behind out, the possibility of an endo certainly exists.

I tip my cycling hcap to Roger and Chris who have laid out some GRRREAT trail.