viva la v-brakes!

Trans-WI race VS Trans-WI Adventure Trail

I'm hoping to get free for a week or two in late summer and I'm up for a spot of adventure. The Trans-Wisconsin route seems like an appropriate one to me, so I took the time to upload the Trans-Wisconsin Adventure Trail route from this page on MapMyRide.com.

However, after reviewing people ride reports from last years Trans-Wisconsin Race, it seems the race route covers a lot more trail, and perhaps a few more dead ends. Of course, I'd like to ride as much trail as possible on this trip, so can anyone tell me more about where these routes diverge?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

viva la v-brakes!
    BUMP!

Someone out there has to know something about this. Should I contact the Trans-Wisconsin organizers directly?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Haven't ridden either but have done some reading and comparison of tracks. This year you have 3 options.
    1) Trans WI adventure trail- made by/for dual-sport riders, so you won't get any singletrack.
    2) 2010 Trans WI Mt Bike Race route- largely the same route as 1, but with some singletrack (and I believe more double-track).
    3) 2011 Trans WI Mt Bike Race. The preliminary route for this year starts further north, but doubles back to Hayward area from the lake. The organizer is doing this to minimize paved road riding (since the south was the segment heaviest on that).

I personally would go for 3. Not sure about dead ends on this route, but it should be interesting regardless, and a lot wilder. I personally hope to get up to Hayward/cable and make a loop of the northern segment, since it is about 20 miles shy of making one anyways.

The organizers haven't posted up a final route track, but if you go to http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip....282&sent=true& you can download the preliminary route (you will need to create an everytrail account to do so).

viva la v-brakes!
    I'm pretty set on crossing the state, plus I live in S. WI so starting here makes sense... in fact my dad has a cabin maybe 12 miles from the south end of the T.W.... Adventure Trail so makes perfect sense to me to ride the whole thing. Don't mind the pavement miles, I'm doing it on a touring bike anyway. I'd really like to follow the 2010 Trans WI route, except maybe the parts where they had to turn around cause bridges were out... and where people got lost.

Also, might head east from the Lake Superior terminous and ride through the UP and down to my in-laws in Traverse City... if I have enough time.

viva la v-brakes!
    Hmm, just looked at that 2011 route on EveryTrail. Maybe I could follow the Trans-WI A. T. up to Levis Trow, and then follow the 2011 route from there? I'll let the races proof the route for me first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you are looking for a route across the UP, there was some discussion over on bikepacking.net about a dual-sport route. In fact, I believe the guy who made the original Trans WI dual-sport route has a buddy (I think he links to a website) that made up a route from southern MI to the west of the UP.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    You probably already have this but I have a Garmin GPS file of the Trans WI ADV trail. Shoot me an PM if you want a copy.

I'm going to be riding it in June but I'll be on a KTM not my Trek