mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Trails in Madison, WI area

I am new to mountain biking and was told to get my endurance up I should just get out and ride some trails to get the workout I need. I am looking for something in an easier trail as I can am still very green and also out of shape still (hopefully that will really start changing soon) I was looking for shorter trails in the madison area that are going to be relativly tame for me to start working on.

thanks for any help./

mtbr member
    Here's the link for the local trail building club, sign up for the forum and they'll be able to answer any questions you have. Capital Off Road Pathfinders

The first trail you may want to look at is Quarry Ridge. It's a short loop with lots of options to keep it interesting and it's right off the bike path so you can ride to it for a warm up.

banned
    Aug 2012
    2 words...Blue Mounds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulski View Post
    2 words...Blue Mounds
    Don't taunt the newb!

Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Blue Mounds sucks. Go check out Blackhawk Ski Area. It's a private member only place, but it's worth the 20$ membership one hundred times over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    I am new to mountain biking and was told to get my endurance up I should just get out and ride some trails to get the workout I need. I am looking for something in an easier trail as I can am still very green and also out of shape still (hopefully that will really start changing soon) I was looking for shorter trails in the madison area that are going to be relativly tame for me to start working on.

thanks for any help./
    As BN says, check out the website for CORP. Quarry Ridge is a great place to start. Cam-Rock Area 3 is a bit of a drive, but it's a trail that riders of most skill levels can enjoy. I haven't ridden Black Hawk enough to have a useful opinion, but a lot of riders like it. Blue Mound is not loved by everyone. It is very rocky and can be punishing, especially for a new rider.

Don't rule out road riding, or the Capital Cities bike path. The fastest way to get fit is to ride lots of miles.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    Blue Mounds sucks. Go check out Blackhawk Ski Area. It's a private member only place, but it's worth the 20$ membership one hundred times over.
    No constructive information in this post at all. Funny I have heard the same comment said about Blackhawk. Though I know the folks out there are now doing a lot to make better trails and doing a pretty good job of it. I won't pay $20 to ride there. But that is mainly because I am 45 minutes away and it is not a place I would drive that far to ride. At least not yet.
    If I have a day free and could go anywhere in the state, Blue Mound is high on my list. One of the best trails in the state. Though not for a newbie just getting into the sport for sure Blue Mound is experienced best if you have some skills and enjoy a challenge when you ride. Trail preferences are pretty subjective.