bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Trail building near Cambridge

New single track is being built near Cambridge, MN. The trails are in Springvale Park, 7 miles west of town on highway 95.

Springvale Park

This Saturday, the 14th, there will be an opportunity to join the land manager, Barry Wendorf, to work on some new trails. Some were "roughed in" last fall, now to make them better, and to work on adding more trails.

Meet at the dirt parking lot on the north side of the park at 8:30 a.m. Mr. Wendorf says the work will go on until lunch time.

If you have more questions, Barry Wendorf can be can be reached at:
    763-689-8220
    barry.wendorf@co.isanti.mn.us

Of course, since this is in my backyard, I am glad to see some opportunities for riding in this area. If you are in the north metro, or east central MN, consider getting in on the "groundwork" of this new riding area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I noticed this post on MTBR after google searching Mountain Bike Trails at Springvale Park.
    As a suggestion, you may get more people to notice if you post on the MORC website. That website has quite a bit of traffic. For instance can post as a thread here:
    Twin Cities Metro Area Trails

I will have to try out Springvale again. I was there in Jan 2012 and I see there was more singletrack that the year before that i tried. Will have to see what it is like now. North Metro Trail Plans?

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Wait until fall, rather over grown in there right now.

Thanks for the direction to the MORC website.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks. I was wondering if it was overgrown. Had an hour or so tonight to ride and was going to try Springvale, but probabley not now. Maybe will see if it is rideable down by Spirit River. Not much tral there last I saw, but better than riding on -road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I stopped by and walked/ran some of the park to check out the work on the disk golf and made it to the mountain bike tail. Looks like there was a recent cutting of the grassy areas and the stuff in the woods along the hillside looked mostly clear and more established thatn last fall. Looks to be in decent riding shape and a little traffic can work it in. I've ridden sections of it before unmowed, and it is ticks galore - but is fine now. Will have to bring the bike next time.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the update, I will have to get out there again soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I might have to drive over and check it out. Next couple of days should be perfect temps for goofing around in the woods.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Gave it a ride. Pretty nice. I see that horse riders have used it. Probably not much you can do about keeping them off all of the trail. It would be nice to keep the tighter singletrack sections "protected" - like the section along the hill. Could make it difficult for horses to get in there with well placed log piles and brush piles - and keep the branches at horse rider height intact. If there is more tight trail like that cut, will need to do the same to physically block the horses. As for the rest of the trail, can only post no horses and accept that some still will? Given that the park is not heavily used by either bikers or horse riders (at least for now), there could be some co-existence in some areas, but the bike trail will suffer.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was out there last weekend and saw the signs of horses on the trails. There are markers at the entrance of the trails near the rear parking lot, but apparently the horse riders have not considered that applies to all the of the single track. There are plans to build a few more miles of trails, but if horses have access to them, its not worth the effort. I had never been involved in trail building before this, but that 1/2 mile of new section took a lot of time. So to see it rutted up by the horses would easily discourage any more trail building efforts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There may need to be more signs and some obstructions. Some people may ignore the signs, but a sign may be needed at every intersection with a horse trail. Horse riders don't always know that they should stay off the trail if there is no sign. I can't remember seeing signs for no-horses at the two ends of the trail along the hill. That one would would be possible to protect with obstructions. I see a no-horses sign at the entrance to the trail in the field from the back gravel parking lot, but none on the other side of the main path that does into the woods. More bike traffic would help too. If horses are spooked by bikes a few times, they will stay off (I know, I have ridden horses there also).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I saw what appeared to be more mountain bike trail flagged this spring. Any more trail to be cut? Played the 12 hole disk golf there - pretty nice. A little more singletrack and a bike /disk golf outing would make the park worth a trip for those further away.