uhhhhhyea

tires for NE Wisconsin

starting to look at new tires for the upcoming season... right now i'm running velociraptor 2.1s. Been pretty happy with them, however I'd like something with a bit less rolling resistance and some more grip at high speed - the rear tends to wash out when descending for me. Running these on a 5.5" FS trail / all mountain bike (ibex atlas)

Any suggestions? I usually ride at baird or reforestation, but I'd really like to explore the state abit more this year. Want a "do it all" tire... my riding style is mostly aggressive and / or technical XC with a little bit of jumping and pavement thrown in (I like to hit up some urban stuff from time to time). Don't want to sacrifice offroad performance for anything i do on the streets though, I could care less what it sounds or handles like when i take it on the fox river trail.

No longer 26
    Panaracer Rampage 2.35 would be a great do it all tire for WI on a 5x5 mtb. Has some nice width for the sand in many parts of the state and is a pretty dependable tire from what I gather. Plenty of traction and rolls medium well but better than a Velociraptor I'd bet.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

uhhhhhyea
    ah, sand. My arch-nemesis... you would think the way the rear tire is designed on the velociraptors that the bike would just kind of paddle it's way through, but no such luck. I'll have to check those out... someone had recommended mutanoraptors, so i might have to do some comparing. I've also heard good things about the panaracer fires... any thoughts?

Sweep the leg!
    Tubeless or tubed? I like the Bonti Jones ACX but I'll be trying the Conti offerings this season.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

uhhhhhyea
    Definitely not going to go tubeless yet. I like the idea but I've got other things I want to focus on- namely, building up a single speed hardtail and the FS rig i'm putting together for my GF this year. I figure, get new tires for myself or GF and put the hand me downs on the SS.

EDIT: forgot the other tires i was thinking of, Maxxis high rollers. anyone tried them in WI?

No longer 26
    The 2.4 Mutanoraptors are good. Are they still made? The Fire XC is a little narrow in volume imo. Bontrager XR 2.25's might be OK too.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...