mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Tire combo for Alpha/Crystal Ridge trails??

I'm currently running the smoke/dart combo on my HT, but they're getting pretty worn out. I'd like to get a wider front tire, but I'm not sure what to pick.

Any suggestions from those who ride this trail system??

Thanks,
    Bryan

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't think there is anything all that unusual about the tire requirements for alpha/crystal (assuming you're waiting for the trails to dry before riding). I ran the smoke/dart combo for over a decade, and while they were a decent setup in their day I think there are a lot of better choices today. In recent years I've been playing around with a bunch of different tires and have to say I like almost all of them better than the smoke/dart combo.
    I also have become a big fan of a fatter tire up front. I like my tires affordable, so I usually look for tires that are on sale or are otherwise affordable. For a lightweight fast fatter tire up front I have been very happy with the Hutchinson Spider Airlight 2.30, and also with the WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4. For a more aggressive tire up front I have been running a WTB MotoRaptor 2.4 up front on one of my bikes but am thinking of trying a Panaracer Rampage 2.35 this spring (the motoraptor is really heavy and gets a little squirrely cornering at the lower pressures I like to run). For an all-around 2.1 tire, I like the Panaracer Fire XCs front and rear (make sure you get the made in Japan version).
    Everybody has their own tire preferences, so just because I like these tires doesn't mean you will. I don't race, I just ride to have fun. I run low pressures (usually around 22-30psi).
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    i run 1.95 kenda karmas but this spring\summer i want to go to crossmark 2.10. I like a fast rolling tires for the most part its hard pack. on my karmas i any where from 25psi-60psi

mtbr member
    Hutchinson Pythons in a 2.0 with a low psi run well for me there.