mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Sunburst Ski Hill

Is trail on Sunburst open to the public? There is a race there in July and was wondering if I'd be able to get there for a ride prior to race weekend.
    Thanks

Sweep the leg!
    You're not missing anything by not riding the hill. It's actually the back side of the hill that has the trail going up. In the image below you can see the resort structures on the right (east). The mown areas are the ski runs. The trail hasn't changed significantly over the years. You'll wind back and forth and around the bottom of the hill before going into the "woods" on the lower left of the image. The trail zig-zags up to the top of the hill. From there it goes around the crown of the hill and into the trees on the left center edge. Then down hill on the left edge to a u-turn and back up to the top of the hill. From there you go around the top of the ski lift and back down the hill but on the north slope. At the bottom is a hard right and you'll go along the road (but not on the road) to the east. Then it's a pair of right turns and back along the hiking trails back and forth until you come out on the edge of the parking lot on the east edge of the property. There's a glorified drainage ditch of a creek that you'll follow west under the cover of trees. You'll come out at the bottom of a lesser ski hill and then you'll zig-zag your way up it and then back down again to the bottom area by the camping and start/finish.

It's really the saddest course of the series. I do it every few years if I'm free that weekend and it hasn't changed significantly. I'll bet there's a lot of us that could ride it blindfolded and not crash.

Preride the day before and you'll be fine. Ride the trails local to you for training. Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunburst Ski Hill-sunburst-ski.jpg  

Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Okay thanks. I've just been doing Greenbush, New Fane (nothing with any significant hills). Tonight I'll just head to Kieckhaefer park then.

Thanks for the input.