mtbr member

Spring Passion in WI/MN!

I was going to post this in the main "Passion" forum, but next to all the pictures of Moab, Fruita, etc., it seemed kind of weak, so I thought it would be fun to start a WI/MN specific passion thread. Those of you who (like me) have to stop after every climb until the wheezing subsides, pull out your cameras while you catch your breath and post yer Wisconsin and Minnesota trail pics!

I was at Glacial Blue Hills Conservancy in West Bend on Saturday. Cut from the same glacial formations as the other Kettle Morraine trails, Blue Hills is a great alternative for those of us to the north of Milwaukee who don't have time to make the trek to the North/South Kettle trails.

The trail was perfect. I mean, just perfect. No mud. Hard packed. The local trail angels have been busy cutting up logs and cutting back the brush, so much so that it still smelled like fresh sawdust in places. I assisted their efforts by graciously losing control and mowing down small saplings along the side of the trail as often as I could. I even was kind enough to endo and clear a large swath of pesky small trees and branches with my face. Regrettably, as I shake off the rust of a long winter on the trainer, I'll soon probably have to revert to more conventional methods of trail maintenance.

It was sunny and 55 degrees, just a beautiful day. The trails were typical Wisconsin spring brown. Here it is at the top of one of the "blue" hills:

However, the loop just on the east side of the double track that runs down the center of the preserve has a stand of stiff, green shoots throughout the forest. I have no idea what it is, but it was shockingly green in the midst of the early-spring brown. Here it is at the bottom of a short climb just after entering the loop:

And here it is at the top:

The preserve has a small pond in the center. The rope swing hanging over the water whispers of the hot summer days to come.

mtbr member

Thanks

for the ride pictures. Things are shaping up for a great early riding season in southern Wisconsin.

Walt

=========

Spring {MN/WI} Passion - Sprung

Good Friday @ Kettle
    the most photographed stump @ kettle

HGTS
    first dirt - 3/22/09

Witty McWitterson
    Time to reboot this thread. Its got good potential.

pretty singular overlook
    Taken in early April, in IA actually.
    Just came up that.
    Taken in March, in PdC.
    Just a regular guy.

=========
    Kettle Four Twenty-Four
    Bethany climbing out of the squirrel loop at kettle last friday - before the 3 day monsoon hit.

Post up some pictures from all over MN/WI.....I wanna see the Lebanon Gnome in action.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Time to reboot this thread. Its got good potential.

pretty singular overlook
    Taken in early April, in IA actually.
    Whoah, there's a hill in IA?

=========
    there's nice big hills in Decorah Iowa......an awesome little town with a hot MTB scene.

CHOP!
    Kettle Blast.

It's not where it's made but how it's made.