lookin' for a hill

...speaking of John Muir: laptimes

So, I am curious. The 10...ok, 9.8 mile blue loop at John Muir, Kettle Moraine... What are your average/best times? For my cache of trails it produces the most sustained speed and the one way flow makes it easy as a time test week to week. Now I know I am not the fastest, my first trip this summer I was passed by a cruising singlespeeder, but since then I have dropped more than 11 minutes off my lap time.
    So, If you keep track of your laps, what is your best/average time? Also, If you race, what class are you in? feel free to add any bike/rider info, but that's not as important.
    FWIW, my best time is 54:53 ... so far. I would like to be under 50 by the end of the season. I am looking to hear from others to give me something to strive for.

Also, I went to Blue Mounds today, that trail system definitely left me saying Holy Schist! Kettle no longer has rock gardens. The dichotomy of the two trails made a good weekend.

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    48 and some change....

=========
    Fall Color Fest 2006 10 mile singlespeed results

http://www.fallcolorfestival.org/Fal.../results.lasso

lookin' for a hill
    thanks gomez, looks like I have some work to do, but is seems feasible. keep those pedals turning

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    the trail has changed a lot since 06....

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffwilsonn
    the trail has changed a lot since 06....
    true...true....
    but those were the newest results that were posted on the FCF website.......close enough for general purposes.......do you think the trail has gotten faster or slower since 2006?

I know I've gotten slower

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am always right around 49-52 min and I did this loop 4 times last Saturday.

CHOP!
    This isn't relavent to the OP but...

Curious as to why you guys prefer just staying on Muir?

Connector is a million times better than it was a while ago and Emma has some tasty singletrack on the backside of the gravel climbs...

Don't you get bored/frustrated just riding Muir?
    Kind of a human slalom at times too on Muir, no?
    It's not where it's made but how it's made.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by MartinsMental
    This isn't relavent to the OP but...

Curious as to why you guys prefer just staying on Muir?

Connector is a million times better than it was a while ago and Emma has some tasty singletrack on the backside of the gravel climbs...

Don't you get bored/frustrated just riding Muir?
    Kind of a human slalom at times too on Muir, no?
    I'm with you on this one. The connector rocks and Emma is getting better every week. Once the full IMBA re-route of Emma is complete, it will be a fantastic ride.

However, the Muir parking lot is a great place to run into fellow riders and to socialize.

Ballstein Models
    Just rode the whole muir/connector/emma loop yesterday. 26.6 miles of singletrack. Man that connector is really really nice, redesign of the connector is superbe. Emma is still the old kettles with the straight up the fall line junk but the rest of that place is great.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

lookin' for a hill
    I think EC and the connector are great as well. The two gravel climbs at EC do suck. With a 1x9, I'm still working on the grace it takes to smash and keep the traction. I usually lose it at about the 4th or 5th step up on the first steep climb. The connector is fun, I like it towards Muir more than from.
    I think the appeal to Muir is that it is fast and a good track for gauging time and improvement, especially for the race crowd. But the technical rider in me loves the other options at Kettle.
    And If you haven't done it, skip Kettle one day and go to Blue Mound State Park. Holy Sh*t!!!
    Also, I wok in a shop - read: weekends - so when I am at kettle on monday and tuesdays I don't experience the volume of riders to create a slalom course. I guess that is a benefit of working weekend, I have the trails to myself.