mtbr member

So I have 6 days to ride MN singletrack...

What's up Minnesotans. I grew up in MN and moved out to Reno 6 years ago. I have not biked in Minnesota since I left Duluth in 2007 and I know that there has been some new singletrack development since. I have a 6 day window from when I get out of the BWCAW til I leave to come back to NV. I am planning a camping/riding mission to Cuyuna so that eats up two days. I already have plans to ride near the Cities for two days but I am not familiar with any of the trails. So. other than Cuyuna, what else does our great state have to offer? Thanks all.
    Last edited by JohnJameson; 06-07-2013 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Cuyuna is my "home" trail. Yeah Cuyuna!

OK, I assume you are heading down MN toward the cities based on your description.

1. Ride the COGGs trails. None of them are huge, but the are very fun and rocky. You can also hit the new gravity trail at Spirit Mt. in Duluth.
    2. Cuyuna. Duh.
    3. Quick jaunt around Jail Trail in St. Cloud.
    4. Elk River in Elk River, MN. (Almost cities.)
    5. Cities trails! Elm Creek, Theo, Leb, others.

Check out morcmtb.org for locations/directions.

MN/WI
    Battle Creek in the east metro has a lot of ups and downs. I would strongly recommend checking the morcmtb.org website prior to any riding. They are not afraid to close the trail in the aftermath of rain.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you're saying you have 4 unscheduled days in the region, personally I'd make the drive over to Copper Harbor, MI. Between Cuyuna and CH, you'd have hit the 2 best spots in the great lakes region IMO. You could easily spend 3 days in CH. Bit of a drive, tho.
    whatever...

Did I do that?"
    May 2013

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    If you're saying you have 4 unscheduled days in the region, personally I'd make the drive over to Copper Harbor, MI. Between Cuyuna and CH, you'd have hit the 2 best spots in the great lakes region IMO. You could easily spend 3 days in CH. Bit of a drive, tho.
    If you're looking for the best riding, go to Copper and ride in Duluth with your extra days. Hit some of that other stuff if you're mostly interested in exploring MN.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You will probably be a little exhausted from your BWCA trip so I doubt you'll want to make your way over to Michigan, although the riding is pretty good over there. I don't live in the area now but 2 areas I enjoyed when I lived in Brainerd (before Cayuna had MTB trails, although I did ride in there) were Hillsdale Park in Elk river and Milaca City trails in Milaca.

LCW
    mtbr member

So I have 6 days to ride MN singletrack...

Another vote for Spirit Mountain if you want to experience some downhill.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for the the suggestions folks. Just got back to Reno and kind of forgot about this post. Cuyuna was amazing, I have biked all over the West and Cuyuna is a top five riding day for me. My only other ride was with a buddy down in MPLS at place called River Bottoms. First couple hundred feet were awesome until the MN River flooded the trail. I will be back next summer for sure and will definitely check out some of these trails. Thanks Minnesotans!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    when you come back, lebanon hills regional park has some great singletrack to check out. its my home trail. They just re-did the west trailhead (off Johnny Cake Ridge Road) and made a sweet shelter and BBQ Area