1GEAR
    Dec 2008

Shipping a bike to France?

Has anyone shipped a bike over the pond before? If so, whats the best way to do such and via which shipping company? The big 3 UPS, FEDEX, and DHL all have prices near 400. Thats too much to ship a DJ bike. This is the bike I am selling via ebay: Item # 280360761166
    The potential buyer is in 92410 VILLE D'AVRAY, FRANCE

I am thinking of removing bars, fork, wheels, and crank to fit into a smaller box. Thinking I can get everything into something 48X12X18, at 50 pounds. Possible?

banned
    Who's getting hit on the shipping charges?

You're right: get it into the most compact box you can, BUT make sure it's still well-protected. If going by USPS, you need to fill out their customs forms (I forgot what number). All the others have customs forms as well and the receiver might get hit unless it's well-used.

I can't offer much more advice than that, but I'd like to hear how this plays out and who's getting hit on shipping. That's a hell of a lot.

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    He is paying for the shipping charges assuming we can find something that is more affordable. I have shipped overseas before, but nothing this size / weight.

mtbr member
    I've shipped a couple of frames overseas but never a whole bike. Both times I used USPS/Bike Box and the cost was around $50 which is no where near the $400 you're coming up with. I'm not sure if you actually tried packing it up and going to the Post Office but what they come up with might be different than what is quoted online. My $.02

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    Bike is still assembled, now sure how far I want to break it down to get just a shipping quote you know? I will give the local post office a call and see if they have any suggestions. 50 bucks sounds real cheap

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Just Shipped A Complete Bike To United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Efff
    Bike is still assembled, now sure how far I want to break it down to get just a shipping quote you know? I will give the local post office a call and see if they have any suggestions. 50 bucks sounds real cheap

France will be a touch more but my shipping was $95 USPS Priority and it got there in 6 days. Most bikes will fit in a box under the 108" size limit for most of Europe. Shoot for a box size close to 42x10x22

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where in the MN, WI spectrum are you? Yellow Jersey in Madison ships all over the world and what I've been charged has not made it worth my wasting any time at it. You might want to ask for an estimate first though because I've been a customer there for 38 years and might get an occasional favor.

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    The guy in France couldn't find a better shipping option and the ebay ad ended. I still have the DJ bike if anyone wants it.

I am in Milwaukee btw.