mtbr member

rode Greenbush 2day

i was off today recovering from Iola then seeing Disturbed at the Resch center in GB last nite.
    so with 3hrs of sleep i went to Greenbush. i haven't been there in a few years. i was shocked to see that the old biking loops are now closed and there are 3 new (to me) loops. the new loops are super bumpy with babyheads almost every inch of the trail. i was wishing for the days of my dual suspension Specialized. my fully rigid GF Supafly was really beating me up. i did 2 laps of all 3 loops. i like them a lot. i do miss the big ring, high speed rollercoaster that was the old loops. are those forever closed to bikes?
    2008 Gary Fisher Superfly 29'er

=========
    The story I heard was that the reason they built the new singletrack was to keep bikes off of the ski trails. So the doubletrack will be permanently closed to bikes. There's plans for a trail care event up there for the end of the season, where the last loop (#4) will be completed, bringing the mileage to 10 miles. Mark your calendars for October 2-4. We're calling it Kettlepalooza.....free camping.....trail work....group rides......bbq......fun.....

mtbr member
    thats odd because i can not see how bikes would have damaged that decades old, hard a rock, trail system. again, i like the new stuff a lot but the old was really fast and fun. it was/is also well marked and a good place to bring beginners because u simply could not get lost. follow the posts and u will be fine. now it's pretty technical and not as well marked. oh well. the only thing that stays the same is change...

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinwi
    thats odd because i can not see how bikes would have damaged that decades old, hard a rock, trail system. again, i like the new stuff a lot but the old was really fast and fun. it was/is also well marked and a good place to bring beginners because u simply could not get lost. follow the posts and u will be fine. now it's pretty technical and not as well marked. oh well. the only thing that stays the same is change...
    I think one of the issues is the fact that there isn't a strong mtb group that represents northern kettle. Apparently there is a more vocal group that represents xc skiing to the land manager. The demographic that will really not like the loss of the doubletrack will be families and beginners. They will have a harder time developing their skills to ride singletrack.

The addition of 10 miles of new singletrack should put Greenbush on the MTB Map.....taking some pressure off of the S. Kettle trail clusters and giving Milwuakee riders another trail option that is about the same distance?
    Last edited by ~gomez~; 05-19-2009 at 05:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Que?

I can't believe someone would actually complain about singletrack or prefer the ski trail to new ST. I rode those old fast boring trails when I had a small art gallery in Sheboygan Falls and would head over to Sheboygan to hit their trails. Well those good folks in that town, as well as Bill and his crew at Bicycle Works in Falls got together to stop the complaining about bike usage and have started to put together what someday will be another long epic singletrack ride. Seems to me it is 12 miles now and will be 14 to 16 miles, perhaps longer in the future. Lets support them and cheer these folks on cuz they're the heroes for this undertaking. Not only do the ski folks have alot of say there but the equestrian clique is even more vocal and stubborn, to the point of being pricks. There is alot of potential for outrageous trail to Parnell esker and Mauthe Lake........but no! I have poached a few awesome rides and been caught and even the rangers question usage order of rules. If'n ya saw Disturbed ya must have a little Punk in ya....so fight for your right to bike!!! Technical? Come on?, that it is not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I get up to ski greenbush once in a while and it's one of the best XC ski trail systems in the state. The XC ski group up there does an amazing job of maintaining and grooming those trails so you can understand why they are so protective of them. I was actually surprised they still allowed mountain bikes on them this long.
    For those that don't ski, you have to understand that under marginal snow conditions (typical in Southern WI), the trail surface (under the snow) has to be near perfectly smooth otherwise you can't ski. Good XC ski trails are designed with lots of steep hills. This works fine for winter use, but when those steep trails start getting heavy summer use (bikes) they can deteriorate pretty quick. The old trail system in the Southern Kettles was an excellent example of that.
    I haven't gotten up to ride the new singletrack at Greenbush yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Its about a 2hr drive each way for me so I've been holding out until they get more miles done.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc
    I can't believe someone would actually complain about singletrack or prefer the ski trail to new ST. I rode those old fast boring trails when I had a small art gallery in Sheboygan Falls and would head over to Sheboygan to hit their trails. Well those good folks in that town, as well as Bill and his crew at Bicycle Works in Falls got together to stop the complaining about bike usage and have started to put together what someday will be another long epic singletrack ride. Seems to me it is 12 miles now and will be 14 to 16 miles, perhaps longer in the future. Lets support them and cheer these folks on cuz they're the heroes for this undertaking. Not only do the ski folks have alot of say there but the equestrian clique is even more vocal and stubborn, to the point of being pricks. There is alot of potential for outrageous trail to Parnell esker and Mauthe Lake........but no! I have poached a few awesome rides and been caught and even the rangers question usage order of rules. If'n ya saw Disturbed ya must have a little Punk in ya....so fight for your right to bike!!! Technical? Come on?, that it is not.
    hey! u missed that i mentioned TWICE that i like the new trails. i liked the existing 1's too tho. specifically because i could bring brand new mtn bikers there and not worry about losing them or turning them off when they feel "they cant do it". the new stuff isn't super technical but it requires some focus to be fast there. it will put some newbies off. i have 11 bikes and love taking beginners out then taking them bike shopping the next day. greenbush was great for that. it's a bit more core now is all. again, i like it.
    it's all i good and i understand that the ski peeps put in their time there. i just want to roll the green loop 1 more time on the back section where i recall going 26mph and smiling a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

New Trail WEMS

How much climbing does the new trail have? I'm wondering if I should ride 1x9 for the 12 hr on Saturday or if I may want to use the granny gear later in the race.

I guess a comparison to the blue loop at John Muir would work.

mtbr member
    i'm not familiar with the blue loop but the climbing was minimal. short, steep sometimes sketchy but no long grueling climbs at all. it flows really well. it will be a tough place to pass and at nite it will be interesting. what time does the 12hr start?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Sorry Bro

Did not mean to sound harsh it's that I am so passionate about singletrack. I have recently moved back to Wisconsin after endless riding in New Mexico and Southern Colorado for fifteen years and yes it is sweet there especially Gallup NM, Salida CO, and Durango CO, but you know what Wisconsin has? SINGLETRACK!!! Most riding out west includes large amounts of double track and forest roads, first up then down or first down then up, but Wisconsin?....hard to explain really. Amusement Park joy and if all of us bikers Unite we can have more and longer. LONG LIVE LONG RIDES.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinwi
    i'm not familiar with the blue loop but the climbing was minimal. short, steep sometimes sketchy but no long grueling climbs at all. it flows really well. it will be a tough place to pass and at nite it will be interesting. what time does the 12hr start?
    Thanks for the info! My 1x9 set up may work out well. The 12 hr starts at 8 am.

Roc
    mtbr member
    Greenbush is open? Great! I thought I read on the DNR site that it wouldn't be open until after Memorial Day.

mtbr member
    i think it's open. there is a big yellow caution tape across the ski/hike trail entrance, down by the toilets and a sign that says no use till after Mem day or a date i can't recall. there was no such tape or sign across the entrance to the new bike trails so i rode. my thought was if the bike trail was closed they should have put a sign there too since the bike trail entrance is diff from the ski/hike trail entrance. was i just snowing me into thinking i was not riding illegally? maybe...