Natty Dread

Riding in Twin Cities Nov 30th?

I lived in the Twin Cities about 10 years ago. Can't really remember if riding season is like by late November. I'll be visiting for a wedding that weekend would like to get out to Lebanon but would be willing to travel to Levis or La Crosse or anywhere that would get me to some fun riding that wouldnt' damage the trails. Cuyuna will be closed by then right? My thought is that it's going to be a total roll of the dice depending on precip and temps around that time. Any suggestions on which locations are consistently good at that time are much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You might be OK. My group rides twice a week and we rode X-mas eve day last year. This winter is predicted to be warmer and drier again so who knows. I live less than 10 minutes from Leb and own a lakehome not far from Cuyuna. Cuyuna will likely be done by then. Keep me posted, if it's Leb and it's open, I'll pedal with ya

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Depends on when the freeze thaw cycle starts. All trails will be closed if the ground is freezing at night and thawing during the day. This time period can cause the most damage to trails of the whole year. Nov 30 could easily be in that time period in many years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nov 30th could also have inches of snow on the ground too. That said, as long as the ground is stationary (I.E. Frozen or dry) riding will be possible at numerous places in town.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You can check on current trail conditions at morcmtb.org.

Natty Dread
    gregmerz,
    what do you think about riding next Saturday? Too soon to tell? Freeze/thaw cycles messing things up? Looks like sunny weather this week. Hoping that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post
    You might be OK. My group rides twice a week and we rode X-mas eve day last year. This winter is predicted to be warmer and drier again so who knows. I live less than 10 minutes from Leb and own a lakehome not far from Cuyuna. Cuyuna will likely be done by then. Keep me posted, if it's Leb and it's open, I'll pedal with ya

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    gregmerz,
    what do you think about riding next Saturday? Too soon to tell? Freeze/thaw cycles messing things up? Looks like sunny weather this week. Hoping that helps.
    Hard to tell at this point. Extended forecast says 43 after a long stretch finally below freezing. If there was any weekend that may be affected by a freeze then thaw, it would be next weekend. One wild card in all of this is the extremely dry Summer and Fall we have had. Might not be enough moisture to cause much trouble. So far, trails have been really dry through early freeze thaw time period last couple of weeks. I would say you have a decent chance of the trails being open, but don't be disappointed if the trail is suddenly closed for next weekend. The park staffs and MORC will be watching the situation closely next weekend. Check morcmtb.org for current trail conditions listing before you head out next weekend.

Natty Dread
    Looks like this weekend could be okay. Saturday maybe a little iffy if it rains? What about Cuyuna. MORCMTB says closed but the Cuyuna Country DNR website says the trails are open after Nov. 19th. Woud like to head up on Sunday if they are open. Haven't ridden Elm Creek yet. How does that stack up against Lebanon? Are you guys riding this weekend?

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you have a choice, and all things are equal, go to Lebanon over Elm Creek. Just a lot more fun. Sorry no riding for me this weekend in those parts of the state.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'll dissent. I like Elm Creek Way more than Lebanon. Not as technical, but MUCH faster, and the variety of new features added this year are really fun.

Natty Dread
    Thanks for all of the advice guys. Rode Lebanon Saturday at 1130am after picking up rentals from One and One. Spent a few hours there with some buddies that do not ride too often. Good times. Can't believe all of the changes since I rode there 8 years ago. Love the new parking area and of the of the single track leading up to the original intermediate and expert spurs. We did stop by Elm Creek on the way back home. The trail across from the parking lot was quite greasy and sticky with black dirt. We pushed out after a few hundred yards and then found the trail that starts beyond the closed gate. Only had enough daylight for a few mile loop but did enjoy Elm Creek. Great flow. Nice to see such high quality trails on that side of the metro. My buddy that lives in Spring Lake Park is stoked to not always have to drive all the way to Leb. Sunday we headed up to Cuyuna. We spent the entire ride in the Mahnomen unit as I had ridden all of Yawkey when i was there a year ago October and did not get to ride everything in Mahnomen. Sooooo, gates were closed to access roads. Though confirming on the website and with the bike shop the trails should have been open unless specifically posted. We parked outside the gate on hwy 30 and rode in via the paved bike path. Trails were in great shape with snowy patches but no mud just mostly wet dirt that seems to hold up against moisture well. It kept changing depending on the aspect of the trail from snow, to damp, to hero dirt to bone dry. This was another incredible trip to Cuyuna. So stoked for Minnesota and the upper Midwest to have these trails. We stopped by the Town Tavern in Ironton after sadly to witness the Vikings being finished off by the packers. Looking forward to getting back to MN to ride all of those trails again as well as the new stuff going on up in Duluth and Grand Marais! Cheers.
    Last edited by Flat Pedals; 12-07-2012 at 08:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Out of all the trails in TC, I think Elm Creek has the best flow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's been pretty exciting to see all the new trails in the Twin Cities and Cuyuna over the past 12 years. We're pretty fortunate in MN. The future is bright with new projects in the Grand Marais/Tofte area and Duluth. Should be another exciting decade of new trails coming our way!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

post five

just to create a thread, hmmmmm

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've only been biking for 2 summers now and it's crazy how many additional miles of trails have popped up in the metro!