mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Riding rigid in Chequamegon FTF - anyone?

Curious, how many of you ride a rigid bike in the Cheq FTF? Are you faster on it, or has the experience been an uncomfortable one?

Karma Vampire
    I "raced" the Cheq40 a few times with a 29" Ti, single speed, carbon fork and bar. I likely had a 2.4" front tire. I wasn't beat up. Your legs will be screaming, however. I assume you have done the race before and know the hills keep coming. IMHO, you will be faster with a front suspension w/lockout. But, the rigid won't let you down and you won't have to fiddle with it before the race.

O.P. Be sure to post up and let us know how it goes.

nOOb
    May 2008
    I've ridden it on an aluminum hard tail and a full squish bike. I can't directly compare, but I know I'm not slower on the full squish bike. I generally lock the suspension out and the little bit of travel that you get is sufficient.
    I'm 44 years old, so I think a rigid bike would just be hard on the hands and lower back after about 3 hours. If it's what you ride currently and are used to then you shouldn't have a problem...

mtbr member
    Did it last year on a rigid drop bar 29er. It wasn't my fastest time ever, but it wasn't my slowest either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, I have done the '40' on 26", 29", and even 96ers! I think that the rigid ride would be tough but I do like the idea when it comes to climbing those hills.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

worked for me

The two fastest times I ever had for the 40 were with a rigid.

The first time was in 1997 one my trusty Trek 920 with platform pedals and rigid front fork. finish time - 2:52

The second time was last year on my rigid Niner Air 9 with a finish time of 2:45.

I'm a clydesdale so I think that the rigid 29er really helped my climbing and keeping my speed up. Sure it beat me up a bit, but so does slower pace.

I'm going rigid again this year.

Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    tneker - I appreciate your thoughts. 2:45 is an awesome time - well done man!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Have to ask what gearing did everyone have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good question...

mtbr member
    I was on a geared bike...

22x36 crankset 12-28 cassette. Never left the 36 tooth ring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have done the FTF on a ss with 36-17 as my gearing. I have also done it with a 1X9 and was not impressed with my choice... The 32 tooth front ring left me looking for an easier gear on Fire Tower.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Went Rigid Last Year

I road it last year on a rigid steel 1x9 29er. I had ridden previously on front suspended aluminum 29er and 26 inch bikes. Last year was my fasted time, but I thought I would have been much faster with a front suspension fork. I got kind of gun-shy by the end of the race and really slowed down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I did my first Cheq 40 on a singlespeed (not rigid, though). Because I didn't know quite what to expect, I went with a 32x18 setup. It was perfect for the hills, especially at the end, but I lost a lot of time on the flats and downhills. One place in particular that it killed me was the rollout. I was spunout through half of it. If you're in halfway decent shape, I'd definitely recommend something beefier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I did it last year. Steel 29er with a rigid steel fork. 2.4 tire up front, 2.25 in back. Upper body took a beating but I didn't regret the choice. Doing it again this year.

Teen Wolf
    ran it rigid, will do it again. no reason for squish on that course