Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rate your Milwaukee Area LBS

Just wondering what others' impressions of Milwaukee area LBS's are. I'm always on the lookout for another good shop. I have three that I like, depending on what kind of service I need:

Hang out all day and shoot the sh!t: Wheel and Sprocket North Shore.

Get a hard-to-find part within a day of ordering it, and get an internet-price-match: Emery's in Tosa.

Get parts and tools dirt-fricking-cheap (although it may take them a while to find them!): Ben's Cyclery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    W and S's are good shops. Lots of stuff to look at and people who know what they're talking about.

I prefer Extreme Ski and Bike in Thiensville. Then again, I race for them so I have to like them. They do treat everyone I refer to them well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Cory the Bike fixer seemed like a good shop when I went there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein_man
    W and S's are good shops. Lots of stuff to look at and people who know what they're talking about.

I prefer Extreme Ski and Bike in Thiensville. Then again, I race for them so I have to like them. They do treat everyone I refer to them well.
    I've never been to Extreme Ski and Bike. I'll have to check them out. I live in Grafton, so they aren't too far.

Anyone ever visited Pedal Moraine or Mountain Outfitters in West Bend?

=========
    Ben's is the Bomb!

Witty McWitterson
    ME!

Oh, wait. I don't live in Mwke.

Sorry, carry on!
    Just a regular guy.

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    ME!

Oh, wait. I don't live in Mwke.

Sorry, carry on!
    Marty is a truckload of bomblettes!

One Colorful Rider
    As a Former Milwaukee Citizen,

As Gomez Said
    Ben Cycle on Lincoln is Very Cool Bike Shop A great Culture Shop

I also liked Crank Daddy's on Prospect A Beautiful Retail Shop.

Did Not get a Warm Welcome From Corys

mtbr member
    BENS RULES.................but who the heck is this vince guy i talked to

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I like racine cyclery!!!

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    Wheel and Sprocket in Hales Corners is high pressure sales, sales people don't know much about the product. Great deals can be had here at end of season sales, but you need to LOOK over the bikes. They tried to switch a rear wheel for a lesser quality wheel after I paid for the bike. I called them on it and they switched it back, said the manager told them to do such. I wasn't happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Efff
    Wheel and Sprocket in Hales Corners is high pressure sales, sales people don't know much about the product. Great deals can be had here at end of season sales, but you need to LOOK over the bikes. They tried to switch a rear wheel for a lesser quality wheel after I paid for the bike. I called them on it and they switched it back, said the manager told them to do such. I wasn't happy.
    thats serious, very far up my list of ten deadly bike shop sins.

mtbr member
    Wow, that's nuts, because W&S north shore is nothing like that. Everyone is very friendly and will talk your ear off about local trails, experiences on certain bikes, etc., but I've never felt any pressure to buy.

mtbr member
    In my opinion Milwaukee dosen't have any good bike shops for MTB. I guess my impression of most shops around here cater to fixies and roadies. A good portion of the shops make me feel like scum of the earth when I walk In. Maybe I don't fit into the mold of their average MTN biker. I used to be a big fan of Emerys in the falls, but that was about 10 years ago. Crank Daddys, I wouldn't recommend that place to my worst enemy. Online Sales seem to be my most viable option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brumski
    In my opinion Milwaukee dosen't have any good bike shops for MTB. I guess my impression of most shops around here cater to fixies and roadies. A good portion of the shops make me feel like scum of the earth when I walk In. Maybe I don't fit into the mold of their average MTN biker. I used to be a big fan of Emerys in the falls, but that was about 10 years ago. Crank Daddys, I wouldn't recommend that place to my worst enemy. Online Sales seem to be my most viable option.
    Wow, I totally have not had that experience at all. The first time I walked into each of the three shops I mentioned in my OP, they talked to me for hours about MTB riding, local trails, recommendations for my bike, etc.

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    I've never been to Extreme Ski and Bike. I'll have to check them out. I live in Grafton, so they aren't too far.

Anyone ever visited Pedal Moraine or Mountain Outfitters in West Bend?
    I like Pedal a lot. Not a huge stockist shop like W&S or the like but they do much better repair work and wheel builds etc in my experience. They also will go out of their way as much as possible to help you get what they may not have.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Sweep the leg!
    Extreme Bike & Ski, Ben's and Expedition Supply. I don't play favorites.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Really like this thread! Since I ride mostly by myself I do not really get into the gossip of what are the best bike shops. Here are my experiences:

Wheel & Sprocket - bought my 2008 GF Superfly they gave me the discount as it was just before there big sale on the fair grounds. Do not really have anything bad to say about the North Shore and the Hales Corners locations.

Crank Daddys - I am disappointed every time I walk in there. They are GREAT people to talk to but I just do not understand one thing. They sell bikes with Thomson and Syntace stems but do not have any of these stems alone in stock. So if you buy a bike and the stem does not fit you can not get it switched out? They are always up to order something for me though, well I can order/buy it myself.

So what shop has Thomson stems in stock? Better yet if the have Syntace F119 I will be there tonight!

I am just frustrated since I live 2 blocks form Crank Daddys and would love to give them all my business.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like Patio Bike Shop in Hales Corners. It's a friendly mom & pop place, but selection is VERY limited. However, it's the ONLY local place I have been to where I didn't feel like just a wallet with legs (or wheels for that matter). I wrench my own bikes, but if I needed "special" work done it would be here or...

Brookfield Cycle & Fitness. Those guys will wax (tech talk) bikes with you until they close. Good guys, good shop. I also build wheels, but if I had to send someone for a special lacing, it would be here. Tom can build some fine wheels!

I also dig W&S Brookfield since I know guys who know guys there and their selection is pretty good for mainstream Trek & GF. Want something exotic? Go elsewhere (like maybe a different state lol).

Crank Daddy's is alright if you know your bikes. They seem to smell their own. I do believe they have the most sophisticated sizing equipment in the area and a decent selection.

There are other good shops out there that I didn't mention, sorry. Yes, most local shops seem to cater more to road bikes. That's WI, try to get over it.

I don't know of any local shops that carry tons of parts, like stems and such. TONS of accessories though, like water bottle cages and lights, but not much for real parts. I think this is to prevent stock from just collecting dust. Honestly, I pretty much only buy parts online.

BTW, who here also can't wait for winter to end?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RudeSechsVibe

I don't know of any local shops that carry tons of parts, like stems and such. TONS of accessories though, like water bottle cages and lights, but not much for real parts. I think this is to prevent stock from just collecting dust. Honestly, I pretty much only buy parts online.

BTW, who here also can't wait for winter to end?
    I think you're best bet for parts on hand is Ben's on Lincoln--they have that upper floor that they disappear into for 1/2 hour and come down with the part you want (and usually a few other options, too!) And yes, they are often covered in dust. They build Milwaukee Bicycle Co. bikes there, so it makes sense that they'd have parts on hand.

Emery's in Tosa has some sort of direct line to a Trek warehouse somewhere, and they seem to get parts delivered virtually every day. I've had them get me parts on three separate occasions, and on each they have arrived the next day. Like I said in my original post, they also match internet pricing, so if you want to save yourself from having to pay for postage and can wait a day or two to get the part, they are a great way to go.

Oh, and yeah, +1 on winter ending ASAP.

Living the High Life
    I've been out in CO for the last few years, but I still check these forums. I lived in Milwaukee for 3 years, and I only ever went to Cory the Bike Fixer. Great guy, great shop

After buying a bike and hanging out there he always gave me a good deal and was great help. It was fun to just talk bikes with him too, its cool to be in a shop and just shoot the **** with the owner.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Singletrack Slacker
    The best LBS in the Milwaukee area is across the border, Zion Cyclery is by far the best shop between Chicago and Milwaukee. I love my bikes and have been lucky enough to find two of the best mechanics anywhere, Kurt at Zion Cyclery and Keith formerly at Over The Edge here in Fruita.
    I need to ride moooore

Team Hammer
    Jan 2007
    I used to be a big Ben's supporter until I got some questionable repairs.

I now use CycleSmith in Waukesha.
    Get 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order by clicking here.
    Check out my blog at SquidBuzz's Garage

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    After I had problems with the W&S in Hales Corners, I'm wondering if I should take my bike in for the free maint. tune up they provide with each sale of a new bike. My crank sqeeks like hell, but after the questionable sales tactics I'm not too sure this tune up isn't going to cost me big bread. Any advice?

=========
    After I had problems with the W&S in Hales Corners, I'm wondering if I should take my bike in for the free maint. tune up they provide with each sale of a new bike. My crank sqeeks like hell, but after the questionable sales tactics I'm not too sure this tune up isn't going to cost me big bread. Any advice?
    Clean and Lube everything down where you think the noise is coming from....test ride....If it still squeaks, drink two beers and pull the cranks and disassemble the bottom bracket ....clean all the parts and threads up really well. I like to use mobile one synthetic oil to clean out my BB's. Re-grease, (anti seize if applicable) and re-assemble.....test ride.....If it still squeaks, drink one more beer and before you start to pull your hair out trying to find the squeak, go to bed and sleep on it. The next day, check to see if you might be mistaken about where the squeak is coming from. Sometimes pedal spindles or seatposts can illicit pedal induced squeaks. Sometimes a stem or handlebar can squeak too, but shouldn't happen just from pedaling. After all this, I'm afraid you'll be back to square one, wondering if you should take the bike back to W&S to get it fixed. IMHO, repacking the bottom bracket wouldn't be covered by a basic tune-up, whether it's free or not. A shop might opt to just replace a squeaky BB instead of cleaning and lubing it, depending on the age and type of BB that you have. Where ever you decide to take it.....I would do it soon....before the weather breaks, because mechanics have a lot more time to take on each repair during this time of year as opposed to when everybody brings their bike in for a spring tune-up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast