I need skills
    Jul 2004

Post tornado visit to M.O.A.B. Wisconsin

It has been 16 months since the tornado split our Roche trail. As the timber is salvaged we are slowly reclaiming the trail. Because the trees are gone the rock we call MOAB (Mother of all boulders) in more easily photographed. All photos here were taken 11-14-08.

Wandering through the Nicolet forest we stumbled upon this behemoth while constructing the trail 5 years ago. There was no previous path to it and none of us knew it existed prior to building the trail.

Here is a view from further away.

Lloyd is doing a flow study on this new section. The rebuilt trail is turning out great!

We lost a mile and a half to the tornado. This photo is what the loggers leave behind for to cut a trail through.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

two more photos

here are some pesky hikers annoying the brave biker.

This is good shot showing the route through the post logging tornado area.

mtbr member
    wow it looks devestated!, props to everyone cleaning/cutting the trail again, i hope to make a trip there next summer! it looks amazing and that is one HUGE rock

lookin' for a hill
    where is this trail in wisconsin?

I need skills
    Jul 2004

1.5 Hours North of Appleton.

The Nicolet Roche trail is located just outside of Langlade Wisconsin.
    There a few posts on the trail on this website. The review section has a map and links to other posts with many other trail photos.

"The nearest town is Langlage. Located at the intersection of State hwy 55 and 64; population of 50?? approx 3 miles from two trail heads.

2nd nearest town is White lake. Approx 5 miles away. Population of 300??
    3rd is Lakewood, approx 15 miles away, pop 200?
    4th is Mountain, approx 17 miles away. pop 200?
    5th is Antigo, approx 25 miles away, pop 13,000?

As you can see we are remote. Indian reservation to the south, state land to the west (wolf river), more county land, and surrounded by national forest all adds to the experience..

At this time, for trail info/ details it may be best to contact the bear paw inn,
    http://www.bearpawoutdoors.com/
    the bike trail on their web site is NOT the trail photographed, the Roche trail is approx 3 miles East from the bear paw, but is accessible from the bear paw."

mtbr member
    Do these trails close for hunting season?

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Every little rise

and hill seems to have a deer blind constructed of stacked branches.

The Forest Service asked us about deer season (this coming weekend and the entire following week). Because of the sheer number of hunters we told them we didn't think anybody would be stupid enough to be biking during the season.

I do not encourage anybody to be biking around the forest during this time frame. There will be a lot of hunters in stands, bushwhacking through the woods and driving the logging roads. Some very passionate about their sport, some hungover, and a few drinking and drunk.

Mountain Bikers don't want to be out there during the deer gun hunt season.

mtbr member
    No, you're right about not being out there. I guess I should rephrase the question, if the snow isn't on the ground after gun hunting is over are the trails open?

My normal ride spot, Standing Rocks, looks as if it closed for the season.

This is my first fall in WI and I'm trying to find ride spots till the snow flies.

mtbr member
    Either way, The trails looks sweet and I'll check them out next year if I don't make it this season.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Ride them 'til it snows!

In early October we used leaf blowers and cleared the entire trail of leaves. It extended our season. More leaves fell after that, but the trail is mostly easy to distinguish. I rode two of the past 3 weekends and it was good riding.

gun hunt ends Nov 30.