Thread: Pincushion?

Custom User Title
    Apr 2012

Pincushion?

Anyone ridden Pincushion this year?

I've read some posts that they were going to redo the singletrack up there but haven't had any confirmation lately.

I'm going to be up there with the wifey in a month or so and was wondering if it was worth taking our bikes along.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd like to know too, I'm going there the 17-20th of May. Staying just north of Tofte.

How do you access the pincushion trails? I've only heard of them via my wife of all places...
    10' Stump 29er Comp HT
    09' Niner One 9 - Rigid

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What and where are/is Pin Cushion?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc View Post
    What and where are/is Pin Cushion?
    Pincushion Mountain is just outside of Grand Marais MN.

I haven't been there since back in the 90s, so I don't know what may have changed since then. It was built as a cross-country ski trail (a very nice one at that). Lots of hills, but built for skiing so no single track, no tight switchbacks, nothing really technical. You can hike up to the top of Pincushion Mtn from the far end of the big loop (I took my bike up their back in the day, but I'm thinking they probably don't allow that).

Trail Map | Pincushion Mountain Trails | Grand Marais, Minnesota
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

MN/WI

Any Update?

I'm going up to Lutsen in late October and apparently the resort doesn't have any more MB trails. As they so eloquently put it:

Due to growing concerns regarding liability issues and our environmental objectives related to the Poplar River, Lutsen Mountains regrets to inform our guests that we will no longer be offering mountain biking as part of our summer activities roster.

Any updates on what Pincushion is like?
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Pincushion is great! I checked it out the end of August.
    It is 5-6 Miles long now, I talked to a guy working on it and he said they are working on making it 25Miles long. (The picture is from the top of Pincushion) Amazing view
    Also just south of Lutsen in Tofte go up the Sawbill Trail about 3 miles.
    When the pavement ends and turns to dirt road there is a parking lot on the right-hand side. There are great single track trails. The trail map is on the bulletin board in the lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pincushion?-pincushion-1.jpg  

Pincushion?-pincushion-2.jpg  

Pincushion?-pincushion-3.jpg  

Pincushion?-pincushion-4.jpg  

Last edited by bprsnt; 10-10-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

MN/WI
    Great pics. I got this from the LBS at Grand Marais:

Don't know if you've ridden there yet this summer but we have a lot of new trail that opened this year. We have completed the access trail from the parking lot so you can now ride totally on single track from the parking lot and do the loop completed last season, the old back 80 loop and by the end of Oct. the new lower loop will be completed as well.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...