mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Petrifying Springs, Kenosha, WI

Does anyone know who is doing the trail work out at Pets? Mainly the person who is cutting roots and small trees out of the singletrack sections?

Sweep the leg!
    Really short Beavers?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't think it's any single individual or group doing work out there. There seems to be a variety of people that have taken it upon themselves to do trail work there. Most of it very good, some . . . not so much.
    I haven't noticed anyone cutting roots out though. I haven't been out there in the last week or so, is this something new? I noticed that last couple of years that someone has gone through in the fall and painted some of the roots orange on certain sections of trail (the trail along the fenceline on the ridge by the golf course.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There has always been a variety of people out there working, that's why I am wondering who individual is doing that kind of work.

On the trail that is on the corner of A and Green Bay road they are taking roots out of the climb after the two big log overs and on the center trail in the middle of the golf course they have taken out the small trees after the two small log drops turning a nice high speed chicane into a 4 foot wide singletrack. Some trees earlier in the spring were also taken out on the river trail next to Parkside in order to make sections easier.

Those sections are pretty easy to begin with, even with the roots and trees, I have 11, 12, and 13 year olds out there that can ride that stuff. I would hate to see this person getting more bold and start taking the initiative on some of the more difficult trails to making them easier for themselves and/or whatever group they are with. I would like to see if those of us that are doing trail work can get a consensus and what really needs to be worked on and try to avoid dumbing down trails if it's too difficult for some.

FYI, I'll be out raking and blowing the trails off in the next few weeks, so hopefully by Thanksgiving weekend they'll be in prime condition.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat
    On the trail that is on the corner of A and Green Bay road they are taking roots out of the climb after the two big log overs
    That must be new, I didn't notice that the last time I was out. I'm assuming you used "climb" just to describe the location, because that section is way better run the opposite direction (as a descent).

and on the center trail in the middle of the golf course they have taken out the small trees after the two small log drops turning a nice high speed chicane into a 4 foot wide singletrack.
    I did notice that a while back, but I thought someone had hit the section too fast and cleared the trees with his bike and body. I haven't slowed down enough on that section to see what was actually happening, but it was obvious the trail had widened significantly at the bottom of that hill.

I totally agree with you about not dumbing down the trails. The beauty of Pets is that these are actually hiking trails that you can ride mtn bikes on, so there's going to be tricky sections. I do like that people have prep'd the big downed trees (the log piles), and the little bridges, but other than that, I say leave 'em natural.
    Someone has been building berms on a section of trail on the North side of A, and there also continues to be new trail built in this same area. This kind of stuff concerns me because that's the kind of stuff that can draw complaints from other park users (not mtn bikers) and lead to getting trails closed down. Earlier this year, someone went through this area and piled branches and logs all over the trail. I'm not talking about just the ends of the trail, I mean they must have spent hours out there pulling small downed trees and branches out of the woods and dragging them to the trail. I'm doubting it was park workers, so most likely it was a pissed off hiker. I moved the big stuff as I rode through, and by the next time I rode there someone else had cleared all the little stuff. I was happy to see that the branches did not find there way back to the trail, but obviously there is at least one person out there that has some serious issues with what is going on with these trails.
    There was also this funky little wooden ramp thing that was placed at the bottom of a gully on a trail in the main park. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure of what the purpose was (it was a little ramp that pointed uphill), but I assumed it was made by some of the more aggressive riders that ride out there. At first it looked like they would just put there when they were riding it, then move it out of the way, but eventually they just left it there and it would be in the way of people just riding the trails. Well obviously someone (besides me) didn't like that because someone hauled up the trail a ways and then threw it off the trail into the brush. I think it's more likely that it was another mtn biker that did that.
    It can be real tricky with these trail-use disputes when none of the trail work done out there is technically legal.

FYI, I'll be out raking and blowing the trails off in the next few weeks, so hopefully by Thanksgiving weekend they'll be in prime condition.
    I think I may have run into you when you were doing that last year.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I got a chance to ride Pets today. The roots taken out on the downhill north of A is new (within the last month). My guess would be it's the same person(s) that have been building the berms in that area (they built like 6 berms this year on one section of trail). Probably some DH/FR guys that are looking to be able to maintain the most speed possible. I haven't encountered the people doing work in this area. I ride out there pretty regularly during the week, so it may be they're out there on the weekends or in the evenings. They've definitely been putting in a lot of work recently on those berms.
    I still think the missing trees (small trees) in the area in woods in the center of the golf course is the result of a crash, or the combination of a crash and a temper tantrum.

I just need to thank whoever has been maintaining that safety rope by the rickety bridge on the trail that runs along the fenceline. That rope saved me some pain today. I've never really had any trouble riding that bridge before, but I'm guessing I wasn't on my normal line going down the hill and things went bad as soon as I hit the bridge. I absolutely would have ended up at the bottom of ditch had it not been for that rope.
    Trail conditions were great today. Most of the trail is nice and dry, and the damp sections were pretty much frozen today.