Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Petrifying Springs Kenosha Official 2011 Trail Report Thread

17K views 107 replies 20 participants last post by  BigVaz 
#1 ·
I thought I'd start an official trail report thread for Petrifying Springs Park (Pets).

Rode today (Sunday). A real mixed bag of some very icy sections and some beautiful stretches of nice frozen dirt. Fortunately the most fun/techy sections of trail tended to have no ice at all.
  • UWP land south of the river - almost 100% ice. Avoid unless you've got studded tires.
  • UWP land north of the river and south of Hwy A - The high ground and all the steep techy stuff was pretty good, some occasional ice but mostly dirt. The lower areas along the river were a mix.
  • Park land North of Hwy A - mix of ice and dirt, but overall pretty good since the more interesting stretches of trail tended to not have much ice on them.
  • Woods in the middle of golf course - Excellent, no ice on the hills at all.
  • Fenceline/ridgeline along western edge of golf course - Excellent, almost no ice at all.
  • Trails along river in main part of park - mixed ice and dirt. low areas along the river more likely to have ice.

#90 ·
Too wet today. We had some good rain last night and things were already pretty damp before that.
Monday afternoon or Tuesday should be better with some lower dew points coming.

#92 ·
Mixed bag today out at Pets. Most areas were very nice, but there were some isolated muddy areas that were really muddy (a lot wetter than I expected given the dry air we've had recently). The bad areas were all on the UW Parkside property (all the trails in Pets were much better). I didn't even attempt to ride most of the low floodplain areas on the UWP land. Also getting some overgrown areas (normal for this time of year).

Beulah park has been drying out slightly faster than Pets, so that may be a better option tomorrow. There's also a scheduled workday for Beulah on Sunday afternoon if anyone is interested.

#93 ·
I was out there recently too. I noticed on the UWP side it has some washed out areas and overgrown. I was wondering what is going on out there because the bridge below shed is gone and in park area they have done some trimming of trees and weeds.

Been riding Beulah quite a bit now. It's closer anyway.

#95 ·
Ground Wasp Warning!

May be just a fluke, but I was stung twice this week at Pets so I figured I'd warn in case anyone is allergic. The first time for sure was a ground wasp , I was on foot and saw the swarming nest after I was stung. Today I was riding and was stung in the hand, I briefly saw it before I smacked the back of my hand against my bars to get if off and think it may have also been a ground wasp.

Ground wasps are small (a little smaller than a honey bee I think) but are very aggressive at protecting their nests (not my first experience with them).

If you are allergic to wasp stings, you may want to skip Pets for a while.

Otherwise, real nice riding conditions. :)

#105 ·
Was out there Friday and it was real nice.
But then it rained and rained and rained and snowed. Not so nice now.

If it stays dry the next couple of days it may be good again by Saturday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.