Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flakes View Post
    All the snow gone yet? Jones real bad for some closer riding. Any word on Kettle, also?
    Except for some small isolated spots, the snow should be pretty much gone (probably completely gone after this morning's rain).

All the rain in the forecast this week ain't exactly going to dry out the trails, but it should at least help to thaw the ground below the surface so once we get a stretch of warm dry weather things should be able to dry out.

For the Kettles, you can just check their hotline (I wouldn't bother checking it now though). They know riders are eager to ride so when things start drying out this time of year they will sometimes give a notice a day or so before they actually open the trails.

In most cases, if the Kettles are closed, you can usually assume Pets is not ready to be ridden. There are sometimes exceptions, but the Kettles dry out quicker than Pets.

Pets conditions are similar to the river trails in Milwaukee so you can use their status (see link Below) to help determine conditions at Pets.
    https://twitter.com/Metro_IMBA
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The Kettles are at least a few weeks away from opening. As of last weekend there was still a good couple of inches of snow and ice on some sections. The other sections were either mud pits or had heavy frost in the ground. Although some jack a$$es have already been trying to ride them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Anybody want to go ride today? Don't forget your water wings!

The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Are those pics from yesterday or today?

The water should be dropping quite a bit today. The Pike river drains out quicker than some of the inland rivers like the DesPlaines River and Fox which haven't even crested yet.

Should be a lot of mud tomorrow, and I would bet some fresh tire tracks in it by the end of the weekend.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, they are from yesterday around 3pm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That's what I figured.
    Most of that major flooding should be gone now, but there will be a lot trapped in low spots, and with the ground that saturated it's going to take a while to dry out.

I don't want to get anyone too excited, but the extended forecast is finally looking a little more promising.

FYI, Here is a graph of the water levels. You can check waterlevels at
    USGS Current Conditions for USGS 04087257 PIKE RIVER NEAR RACINE, WI

Petrifying Springs Kenosha Official 2011 Trail Report Thread-pikeriverusgs.png

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My wife was running at pets today and told me she saw some guys riding on the trails. I'm pretty sure they aren't dry enough yet, but the weather towards the end of the week does look promising. **fingers crossed**

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    We'll all be able to see signs of their awesomeness when we get out after the trails dry ( soon I think). The high ground was probably getting nice but there's no way the low ground is not muddy.

There's probably going to still be some mud by the weekend, but I'm figuring everyone will be out riding by then so you may as well get out there. Would be better if people waited until the afternoons though. Next week looks really good.

If the forecast holds true, I would think the Kettles will be open this weekend as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would guess that things are still pretty soft now, but tomorrow is going to be warm AND sunny AND windy AND low dew points AND since there are no leaves on the trees should result in some nice drying happening.

There will still be isolated muddy spots this weekend and I would encourage riders to opt for hike-a-bike on these sections (assuming you can't hop it). I know you'll see other tracks already there, but the more people that ride through this stuff, the deeper the ruts that hold the water that keep these spots perpetually muddy.

And afternoon rides should be better than morning rides.

mtbr member
    I have yet to ride this trail. really want to make it out there this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Went out yesterday, trails are a little rough from the flooding, but definitely rid-able. There were a few muddy spots with deep ruts that have been ridden though quite a bit. The one surprise was how much sand was on the trails, that was a little tough to ride through.

BTW, it looks like someone dragged the "Water Shed" bridge about mile back into place.

Ninja
    Ride baby ride! Was there this morning and its in great shape, very tiny pockets of mud here or there, it is ready.
    The plan is to out live everyone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Riders Needed at Beulah Park!!!
    Anyone that likes riding Pets is going to like Beulah. Similar terrain and only 15 miles to the South.
    There have been some new trails put in and they seriously need to get ridden. More info at this post in the IL forum.

Beulah Park in Zion now part of CAMBr

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was out there Memorial day - not too bad. There were some pockets of mud but I walked around them.
    Anybody know what kind if condition they are today?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Too wet today. We had some good rain last night and things were already pretty damp before that.
    Monday afternoon or Tuesday should be better with some lower dew points coming.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Trails at Pets are in great shape right now, as are the trails in Beulah Park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mixed bag today out at Pets. Most areas were very nice, but there were some isolated muddy areas that were really muddy (a lot wetter than I expected given the dry air we've had recently). The bad areas were all on the UW Parkside property (all the trails in Pets were much better). I didn't even attempt to ride most of the low floodplain areas on the UWP land. Also getting some overgrown areas (normal for this time of year).

Beulah park has been drying out slightly faster than Pets, so that may be a better option tomorrow. There's also a scheduled workday for Beulah on Sunday afternoon if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I was out there recently too. I noticed on the UWP side it has some washed out areas and overgrown. I was wondering what is going on out there because the bridge below shed is gone and in park area they have done some trimming of trees and weeds.

Been riding Beulah quite a bit now. It's closer anyway.

the fat kid
    I was out at Pets last sunday. It wasnt bad at all.. i like the tackyness it gets. I only got off once at a puddle that I couldnt get around. The top side loop shredded nicely, not getting overgrown like the east end.
    I ride faster than I should.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ground Wasp Warning!

May be just a fluke, but I was stung twice this week at Pets so I figured I'd warn in case anyone is allergic. The first time for sure was a ground wasp , I was on foot and saw the swarming nest after I was stung. Today I was riding and was stung in the hand, I briefly saw it before I smacked the back of my hand against my bars to get if off and think it may have also been a ground wasp.

Ground wasps are small (a little smaller than a honey bee I think) but are very aggressive at protecting their nests (not my first experience with them).

If you are allergic to wasp stings, you may want to skip Pets for a while.

Otherwise, real nice riding conditions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Who is maintaining these trails? I would really like to volunteer my time in helping with the maintainence. The most northwest section really has developed into a nice down hill single-track.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Went out and rode 8/25. Trails were very good shape. A little overgrown in some spots -which is expected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Friday's rain pretty much missed Pets so very good riding conditions this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is it summer yet?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast