Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ninja
    Pets Sunday the 18th at 9-9:30ish am? Meet at fatguybikings place.
    The plan is to out live everyone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just a suggestion. This time of year you're better off planning rides for the afternoons. That gives the trails time to dry out from the overnight dew and frost.
    In a few more weeks after we start getting some hard freezes, the morning will be better so you can get out before the trails start to thaw. Same thing applies in late winter.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Ninja
    Took your advise trailville, went around 11 today and the trails were bustling with hikers, runners, and bikers. It was also much warmer than this morning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Any idea how many days of freezing temps it will take for the ground to freeze and able to be ridden?
    The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It doesn't look like we got enough rain yesterday for the river to overflow it's banks (except maybe a couple of low spots), so I don't think there is a flooding issue.

It's going to be very cold tonight so I think it should freeze up pretty good by tomorrow. May be some isolated spots where you have thin ice over puddles with mud underneath, but most of the trail should be good to go. Prepare for cold toes.

It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow though, so there may be some issues with south facing slopes.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    It doesn't look like we got enough rain yesterday for the river to overflow it's banks (except maybe a couple of low spots), so I don't think there is a flooding issue.

It's going to be very cold tonight so I think it should freeze up pretty good by tomorrow. May be some isolated spots where you have thin ice over puddles with mud underneath, but most of the trail should be good to go. Prepare for cold toes.

It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow though, so there may be some issues with south facing slopes.
    Nice, I was thinking it might take several days of freezing temperature to make the trails ridable.

I guess buying a new bike in November is a bad idea. I've been really chomping on the bit to take it out, but have only gotten one real ride so far. Hopefully I'll make it out there sometime over the holidays.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well I could be wrong. I guessed wrong that last time I went out there and ended up only doing about a mile of trails before heading back on the park roads. Since then I've been waiting for a hard freeze like this.

And I don't mean to dampen your excitement, but I personally wouldn't take a brand new bike out in these conditions. Some forks and shocks don't react well to really cold temps and you hate to screw something up on your first ride. Not to mention the salt you'll get on it if you do any road connectors. If you still have your old bike, you may want to stick with that until spring and then maybe give your new bike a shot at winter next year when it's no longer your shiny new bike.

mtbr member
    any of you pets locals interested in a new years day ride . havn't riden out there in years sooo lookking for a little guiding and riding . we will be out there tues.morn at 11 am . not sure what lot to park in either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mofxr View Post
    any of you pets locals interested in a new years day ride . havn't riden out there in years sooo lookking for a little guiding and riding . we will be out there tues.morn at 11 am . not sure what lot to park in either.
    Tomorrow, we'll be meeting up at Pets by the large lot between the dog park and the spring water station at 11.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

surprisingly good conditions today

After finding glare ice on my sidewalk and driveway this morning, I wasn't sure what I would find on the trails, but trail conditions were surprisingly good.

Even though there was a layer of icy crusty stuff on almost the entire trail, traction was great. I rode everything I normally ride including playing on some of the steep side trails. However, I just couldn't get myself to 100% trust my traction so I was taking corners really slow and dabbed a foot quite a few times playing on the steep stuff. It was weird because I was absolutely not slipping, but I just did not trust that trail surface .

Looks like mud is in the future for next week, early AM tomorrow should be good, but the rest of the week and next weekend doesn't look promising based on the current forecast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I was wondering how long it would take to thaw out with the warm weather this week. Thanks for the heads up.

the fat kid
    Good to know it doesnt retain mushy slush... Pets will be on my winter riding spots fo shizzo
    I ride faster than I should.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313 View Post
    Good to know it doesnt retain mushy slush... Pets will be on my winter riding spots fo shizzo
    It retains plenty of slush/snow/ice. We just haven't had any snow this year, the storms have all been missing us. We've had great riding in recent weeks, but now it looks like we will need to wait a week or so for the next freeze.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's almost certainly going to be too muddy tomorrow, soooo???
    I'm just mentioning because I got out to Pets on Tuesday for a great winter ride (it was fantastic that day) and couldn't help but notice the deep ruts from people that rode in the mud last weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Is it spring yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's going to be a while.
    I was out there yesterday on snowshoes. And I don't wear snowshoes unless the snow is too deep to hike without them (it definitely was). We should see a lot of melting over the next week but there is a lot there to melt and we would need a good hard freeze after that to get any riding in. We got lucky the last couple of years and had some good March riding, I'm kind of doubting we'll see much if any this year. Though I'm sure the geniuses that leave those ruts in the mud will be out there in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    With great sadness I'm not expecting any dry trail riding until the end of April or May. :-(

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    C'mon sun, dry out those trails!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's gonna be a while.

Unfortunately someone will probably ride out there this weekend and make a real mess of the trails. Probably a pair of riders because stupid likes company.

My guess is there is still some snow and ice on the north-facing slopes, some of the south-facing slopes may be starting to firm up, and everything else is muck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    It's gonna be a while.

Unfortunately someone will probably ride out there this weekend and make a real mess of the trails. Probably a pair of riders because stupid likes company.
    With the warmer weather this weekend I sent out a reminder yesterday on https://www.facebook.com/krmountainbikers yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Did a road/paved path ride on my touring bike this morning and passed through Pets.
    And look what I saw when the paved trail passed by the access points to the singletrack.
    Petrifying Springs Kenosha Official 2011 Trail Report Thread-tracks.jpg
    As Forest Gump says "stupid is as stupid does".

And to get an idea how long it will be before things dry out, here's a pic of a north-facing area of the woods. There's still a lot of melting to go before the drying starts. This is about the worst late-March conditions I remember (not that I expect to be riding in late march, but there's rarely this much snow and ice still on the trails). Even if the weather cooperates, we've got weeks before things dry out. Throw in some April rain and it could be a very long time.
    Petrifying Springs Kenosha Official 2011 Trail Report Thread-snow.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, I did the paved path and road yesterday. Even then I came home with mud on my bike. The paved trails still had tons of ice/mud/water on them. The place is an absolute mess. I also saw some fresh tire marks on the downhill exit near the NW most playground. Also around the gates near the sledding hill.

Ninja
    We need some 70+ days with full sun, to even make a dent in that snow base.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just in case the sunny weather this week has someone considering riding this weekend, the trails still need a lot more time to dry out.
    And given the rain in the forecast next week, April riding this year may not happen.

Ninja
    All the snow gone yet? Jones real bad for some closer riding. Any word on Kettle, also?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast