Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I ride Pets on a fairly regular basis & have never had a problem. (knock on wood). We've already been out a handful of times this year. We were going to try to head out one day to improve some of the trails towards the east side of the park. We'll see though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would like to ride there, but don't want to get fined either. Where's a good place to enter the east side trails?

mtbr member
    Its kinda hard to explain because most of the points aren't marked. We usually enter towards the Southern most parking lot near the dog park. (east side of the road) There's a small cluster of trees where the trail starts right before the bridge. You'll pop out right by the golf course just about as soon as you get on the trail. (hope that helps?) There are a few different routes to fork off on, but we usually end up on "Hwy A". Then ride the road west & hop on the trails on the north side of "A". It will be much better when the trails dry up.

mtbr member
    Again, i've never had a problem riding there & see other riders just about every time we go. Who exactly told you riding was prohibited there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The other day (wed) I made a visit there. A county official saw me and told me so, kinda in passing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Pets seems to be under an informal don't-ask-don't-tell policy. Mountain bikes are not technically allowed on the trails, but they have been tolerated. People have been riding out there for decades. If they wanted to push the issue, they probably could ticket you. I think they actually did a little bit of that back about 10 or so years ago for a little while, but they have since backed off. Obviously this is a tricky issue, and things could change at any moment.

The land East of the golf course belongs to UW Parkside, and to my knowledge they do officially allow bikes there.

Bikes are absolutely not allowed on the UW Parkside cross country running/ski trails South of Pets (South of CR JR).
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Yeah, this blows my mind... lol. I had a fellow rider today, tell me that those trails are a "no go", but the cops don't really bother anyone unless they're causing a issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I got to try the trails for the first time today. A really good ride. Just a little muddy in the low areas. I say its easy to get lost when your not following the river.

mtbr member
    I'm heading out there on Sat AM...first ride this season and first one on my new Specialized Camber 29er...hopefully I don't have any run-ins with "the man"....I've ridden there in previous years and either never saw a soul or saw just a few others hiking/walking. We'll see....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just got back from a ride there a few minutes ago. Wonderful dry riding conditions, though things are starting to get overgrown in some areas already. Should be really nice this weekend unless we get rain.

I did see a group of riders flying down an easy downhill on the main hiking trail in the main part of the park. There's nothing particularly challenging or interesting about this hill (I prefer it as an uphill anyway) but that's the kind of stuff that gets hikers complaining and trails closed. There are far more fun section in less visible and more lightly used areas of the park. I'm not saying people shouldn't ride the main hiking trails (I was riding it), but slow it down a little. If you like riding fast on easy hills, just ride the road or hit the Des Plaines River Trail or the trails at Bong.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    lol, yeah exactly...I remember the first time I rode at Bong....late 90's no internet reviews....I had no idea what I was getting into, pretty freaking boring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by f1rst 1 View Post
    lol, yeah exactly...I remember the first time I rode at Bong....late 90's no internet reviews....I had no idea what I was getting into, pretty freaking boring.
    Actually, Bong is the first place I went "mountain biking" back in the early 90s. I thought it was pretty cool at the time, but then I found real trails.

the fat kid
    The wife and I just got back from a quick ride around the sw part of the park up into the northern "across the road" part (have no idea what these areas are called!). The trails were in super shape.

Unfortunately, we are fairly new and didnt know about any good maps to get us around.. Some google searching lead me to this thread here, for which now im posting . I think it would really help to have some sort of map, or the actual Trailville map from Dave, posted on signs all over the place in the park. Some sort of direction or paint markers would do that system wonders to help the non-veteran riders navigate around.

Are there ever trail work days there? We would be all about helping mark and tag the different legs...
    I ride faster than I should.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313 View Post

Unfortunately, we are fairly new and didnt know about any good maps to get us around.. Some google searching lead me to this thread here, for which now im posting . I think it would really help to have some sort of map, or the actual Trailville map from Dave, posted on signs all over the place in the park. Some sort of direction or paint markers would do that system wonders to help the non-veteran riders.
    I agree, I am also new to these trails and get lost sometimes. The other thing is that I dont know which direction is correct. I really like the trails and want to ride them properly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm just getting into MTB and these are the only trails I've been riding so far. I only live a few minutes away. The trails have such a wide variety of difficulty, it has something for everyone. So far I've been staying mostly on the trails on the west and north end of the park. I've been on the trails on the east end probably 10 years ago, but haven't ventured over there recently. I mostly ride by myself, so I'd be nice to get a small group together and head out there someday.
    The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just a comment on the talk about riding not being allowed on the "hiking" paths. I started up a facebook page for MTB riders in the Kenosha/Racine area and someone sent me a message regarding "officially" not being allowed to ride the trails. So yesterday I talked to several KSD deputies as well as a patrol supervisor (I work at the jail so I really didn't have to go out of my way), they all said that biking is allowed on all the trails. (besides the cross county area south of JR) They had never heard of it being "illegal" to ride the hiking trails. So as far as I'm concerned we shouldn't be worrying anymore. I would strongly suggest to still be respectful to hikers and other people using the trails. It just takes one person to mess it up for the rest of us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguybiking View Post
    Just a comment on the talk about riding not being allowed on the "hiking" paths. I started up a facebook page for MTB riders in the Kenosha/Racine area and someone sent me a message regarding "officially" not being allowed to ride the trails. So yesterday I talked to several KSD deputies as well as a patrol supervisor (I work at the jail so I really didn't have to go out of my way), they all said that biking is allowed on all the trails. (besides the cross county area south of JR) They had never heard of it being "illegal" to ride the hiking trails. So as far as I'm concerned we shouldn't be worrying anymore. I would strongly suggest to still be respectful to hikers and other people using the trails. It just takes one person to mess it up for the rest of us.
    That's great news! I was just there last Sat and Sun and am always surprised on how much there is back in there. I always find a new line or two and have a blast. We're definitely lucky to have something like PETS so close to us here in SE WI.

Ninja
    Riding Pets Sunday morning at 9am. Always looking for someone to ride with.
    The plan is to out live everyone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flakes View Post
    Riding Pets Sunday morning at 9am. Always looking for someone to ride with.
    Hey, I shot you a message about it on the Kenosha / Racine Area mountain bikers Facebook page. We need to go again before it gets really cold.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Rain in the forecast tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. If we get any, would be better to stay off the trails this weekend.
    Even with just a little rain the trails struggle to dry off this time of year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    Rain in the forecast tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. If we get any, would be better to stay off the trails this weekend.
    I hadn't checked the forecast yet, but I always stay off the trails when they are muddy. We're too lucky to have those trails nearby to mess them up. I also preach that on my Facebook group page.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    Good on you for the warning on wet trail riding. I'm thinkin these guys posting for a ride know better.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post
    Good on you for the warning on wet trail riding. I'm thinkin these guys posting for a ride know better.
    Or they posted the ride before checking the weather. I'm sure Frosted Flakes knows better than to ride in the mud.

Ninja
    You know what sucks, rain was forecasted then not forecasted then.....not till later in the morning, then afternoon, now it started raining at here at 3:30. Should have stuck with my gut this morning at 9, and rode Pets, what a gorgeous day for it! Still ended up riding, but it was at Lakewood, still had a good time.

Dam if you do, dam if don't! Hope everyone got a chance to capitalize on the beautiful weather.

I do watch the forecast and WILL NEVER RIDE WHEN ITS MUDDY! NOT WORTH IT. Love what we have and want to keep our trials in the best condition possible.

Now whose buying a fat tyre for winter?
    The plan is to out live everyone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Trying to get group ride together for Petrifying Springs (Pets) this Saturday the 17th at 10:30. If you want to join me, meet up in the parking lot by the dog park/spring water station. It is supposed to be sunny and close to 50 degrees. We have to enjoy the weather while we can!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast