Afric Pepperbird

OT: Best Wisconsin campgrounds?

Greetings!

I'll be heading to my home state in another month, for a two week visit. Unfortunately, I will be bikeless, but that's okay.

My brother and I want to do some tent camping, and are looking for suggestions for the most awesome State Park or County park campgrounds. By awesome I mean very gorgeous, with lots of wildlife (mainly birds, as my bro is a big-time bird watcher), quiet, secluded, etc. Near a body of water of any kind is a big plus, but we'd prefer to avoid a Great Lake.

We grew up in southeastern Wisconsin, and rarely traveled far as kids. Our experience of the state is sadly limited. We took many trips to the western US, but pops never took us anywhere of note in the state.

Last year, we did a camping trip through the Driftless region and southwestern Wisconsin, and camped at some great parks along "Ol' Man River", namely Wyalusing, and Perrot. We also camped near the Kickapoo river. They were fantastic, but we'd like to explore something new.

Does anyone have any "knock your socks off" recommendations? We'll be heading out of Madison, but driving distance is of no concern.

Oh yeah, we may even rent a couple kayaks, but that's not a certainty.

Thanks in advance.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Copper Falls State park

It is on the Bad river. very pretty, near the highest spot in WI.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    +1 for the copper falls. been there about five times and it's always a great experience.
    Peninsula State Park, Point Beach State Park, Black River Falls, Hartman Creek, you name it, I've been there, they're all great. But honestly, nearly every state park you go to will be a blast, it's one of wisconsin's greatest attributes.
    __ o
    _< \_
    (_)>(_) .

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I vote for Governor Dodge in Dodgeville. Love that park. Lots of hiking trails, they have 2 caves to go in, 2 lakes and when I was there last year a bald eagle was on one of the lakes fishing.

My other vote would be for Potawatomi State Park. It's along the Sturgeon Bay canal so you see lots of big boats and even ships. Nice hiking trails but I would still take Governor Dodge over that.

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    Sandy Beach Campground----- 30 mins or so north of Minoqua on hwy 47. Great quiet place and about 4 hours from the mad city. Great bike trails real close--Raven Trails I know that you said that you would be bikeless---but I had to recomend a trail anyway.

mtbr member
    I'd probably stay off the door county parks based on what you're looking for. My sister was just out camping at Wyalusing State Park, at the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. I highly recommend that park for good birding, paddling, and hiking. I haven't stayed there overnight, but I've enjoyed some really breathtaking day visits.

Wyalusing DNR site

Afric Pepperbird
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! My brother and I will sift through them all. Copper Falls looks very nice.

Please keep 'em coming!

I need skills
    Jul 2004

kayaks?

the apostle islands are a shortish drive from Copper Falls Park. But, you'll have a great lake around you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    Please keep 'em coming!
    I like The Least Visited State Park in Wisconsin, myself. And I go in early May. Things have changed a bit in the past 40 years, but if you get lucky and are all alone on 1,000 acres of island, you'll feel like Robinson Crusoe. Nothing like it for the head. Unique experience. Of course you will never do this.

Afric Pepperbird
    Just to follow up, we went kayaking at the sea caves near the Apostle Islands, which was a blast. Something everyone should do at least once.

Among the places we camped was Copper Falls State Park. While the campground itself was nothing special, the park scenery itself was great. I live in Oregon, which I sincerely consider the most beautiful state in the union; and the scenery of Copper Falls and the Bad River, and all the large evergreens, sure did remind me of Oregon.

Thanks all for your recommendations.

p.s., I recommend to everyone the sauteed whitefish livers at Gruenke's restaurant in Bayfield; and the Limburger cheese sandwich at Baumgartner's in Monroe!