mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Northwoods Update

Wow mountain biking is finally back and off to a fantastic start with absolutely great conditions, at least at two trail systems I know of. Went to Levis-Trow in South of Niellsville on Saturday and the conditions are fantastic. Did the whole thing and only encountered slight mud on Snodgrass. Nothing bad, but please ride thru it not around it. Goat dance, sidewinder, and hermosa all dry and packing down by those getting out early this year. About 20 bikers there while I was hanging for post ride indulgences. 9-mile on Sunday and the riding there was completely dry and quickly packing down. Try the newer section of #12 for some good techy stuff. Must have been at least 150 bikes in the parking area, but only saw 17 bikes, 14 horses, and 2 deer on the trail. It always amazes me to see so many bikers in parking ares and never really run into them on the trails. I like that. Well next it will be Underdown and then further north to Hatchery in Hayward and Rock Lake/ Namakagon, oh and probably Ojibwe too. For now get out and have fun! Lots of FUN!!! Keep 'em posted. Steven aka Stefan

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi Steve, we are from Northern MN, and we are going down to Hayward area to go riding
    on 4-21-10 thru the 23rd we are going to camp, where is the best single track riding, we like long rides.
    Thanks Dino.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Where 2 ride!

East of Cable on County Rd. C for 7 miles and you will be at the Rock Lake trailhead. They have maps and the trail is well marked. Add on the Namakagon Trail and all the crossovers, as well as, Patsy Lake and you will get a 32+ mile ride. East out of Hayward on Hwy 77 for a few miles to Hatchery Creek Road and to its end you will find the trailhead and maps, as well as, a well marked trail and add Makwa on all the way to County OO and that too has to be over 30 miles total and an excellent ride. Yesterday I was told that if you go to New Moon Cycles in Seeley(which can be gotten to from OO) they can get you on a singletrack that gets you up to Cable and over to the Ojibwe Trail located at Mt. Telemark ski area. That would be major for a ride and adventure. I have not experienced that yet, but might head up this weekend coming to find out. Lots of places to camp, especially if you get off the forest roads in the national forest or pay camp at Namakagon Lake is nice. Have a great time and lots of FUN, the trails are in great condition right now! Bring tools and stuff to fix tires and derailleurs and chains just in case you pick up sticks like I do. Walking out with the bike can be a drag.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thank you Steve, we are going to stop at New Moon first then head over to Rock Lake
    and find a place to camp, this is going to be fun! we might stay till Sat maybe we'll see you there, I ride a Big Mama and Deb rides a white Haro..

MN/WI

Makwa

Many thanks to the CAMBA folks for the Makwa Trail. I rode it last Friday and had a wonderful time. Keep up the great work!
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

What the MAKWA! Man...

Took Flyin' Bryan and Scott the Ander's Son up to Hatchery Creek and Makwa last Saturday the 19th and did the whole thing, all 34 miles of great up and down twisty turny stuff. What an awesome ride and .... they are building new trail from county OO (end of Makwa) that will head north and connect with the Ojibwe Trail. This will be a stupendous epic! If one were to start at Hatchery trail head and go up and back it looks to be between 60 and 65 miles. Unbelievable. This could be a nice bike camping adventure especially if one adds on the ride over at Rock Lake/Namakagon. In fact park at Hatchery and ride all the way to Rock Lake, camp and fish there, ride some more, camp some more, eat good gourmet trail meals, and then ride back camp some more and quaff a bunch of victory beer! Any one up to it? I like this kind of stuff.