mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Northern Wis. update

Levis-Trow Mounds in Niellsville is in exxxxxcellent condition, so is 9-Mile in Wausau, oh I mean it will be when it officially opens May 1st. Some snow and sogginess abounds at Underdown in Merrill. Razorback/Blueberry Lake still f#*$ed by the lumbering. Standingrock in Plover is a ready to go. Still some snow and sogginess up in the Hayward/Seeley/Cable clusters, but still manageable. Northern counties like Vilas, Oneida, Ashland, and Iron still have pockets of snow and lots of wet. All this will change quickly especially if we do not receive fluids up here.
    I have recently moved back to Wisconsin after living out west for the most of 30 years and New Mexico for the last 15. I would like to get involved with the biking community here and will explore whatever I can be turned onto. Especially like epics and camping/biking trips. Except for Muir/Carlin do not know of the southern and southwest Wis. rides. Please turn me on.

No longer 26
    Yeah!
    Did a couple of days at Levis this last week (Th & Fr). Trails were in fantastic condition for all but where the leaves were covering them pretty thick. Even there they were dry...just could get a little sketchy in the "lean" of a turn.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    I hear they're sitting under 10" of fresh snow, but does anyone know what's going on at Raven this year? Mostly closed due to logging last year, but I saw some signs that showed optimism for some built areas..

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well don't plan on riding Nine Mile on May 1. I was out to the web site today and they are saying Nine Mile will open on May 15. The other thing that stinks is that Nine Mile will not open until noon each day from the 15th to 24th to give the turkey hunters a quality hunting experience. So the mountain bikers who pay to ride the place have to take sloppy seconds from the turkey hunters who don't

Witty McWitterson
    There are a few gems in SW Wisconsin. The Human Power Trails in La Crosse are always good for a ride.

Plattville has a few options.

Prairie du Chien has some nice tech'y trails to play on - and I can guide you here, you may need it.

Blue Mound State Park west of Madison has what is widely known as the most technical trails in the region.

Depending on where you're based, There's good stuff just over the border in IA at Decorah, Yellow River State Forest and up in MN at Winona and Red Wing. Minneapolis has a large stash of trails that are well built and ridden tons.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Bryan
    Well don't plan on riding Nine Mile on May 1. I was out to the web site today and they are saying Nine Mile will open on May 15.
    Copy-Pasted from Marathon County Website:

To: All News Media
    From: Ken Krueger, Operations Superintendent - Customer Service
    Subject: Nine Mile Forest Recreational Area Mountain Biking to Open
    Date: April 28, 2009
    IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Ken Krueger, Operations Superintendent – Customer Service, has announced that all of the mountain bike trails at Nine Mile Forest Recreational Area will open to the public at 12:00 noon on Friday, May 1, 2009. The bike trails will only be open from May 1 until May 24 from 12:00 noon until dusk due to the turkey hunting season at Nine Mile. Starting Monday, May 25, the mountain bike trails will be open the entire day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Rides

Went thru Prarie du Chien today, April 29, on my way to ride in NM, CO, and UT for a few weeks. Anyone out there interested in future road trips? I could use some company and enjoy turning folks on to what is offered in that region as well as many other states. How many miles on that Blue Mounds ride? Where in du Chien?, and Plattville? Are maps or sites available to look at? I plan on riding in Decorah on the way back and would be very interested in hooking up for a du Chien ride around the 22nd or 23rd of May, then off to ride all of the northern trails of Wisconsin and UP Wisigan or Michonsin depending on where yer from. Right now I am basing in Medford and occasionally Eagle River. Showing paintings and bronze sculpture in a new Minoqua art gallery.

Witty McWitterson
    dude. Driving through PdC and you don't stop at my shop!?

I should be around the 23rd for sure, and maybe the 24th depending on race schedule and such. I think Blue Mound is 12 or so miles.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the updated info on Nine Mile, Skifastchad. I stand corrected. Now I am definately going to have to head to Nine Mile this weekend for a ride. If I see you in the parking lot after the ride I will be sure to offer you a Point beer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hello Wisconsin

Got into NM on May 1 and on May 3rd did my first group ride with some of the old gang. Crunched out a brutalizing lung busting 38 mile epic in Jemez Mtns. One of our Cochiti rides. Started with leg and lung testing climb of 14 miles with about 4,000ft gain and perhaps much more in total gain and onto sweet mtn ST. Some food and good beer at 2nd street brewery finished off my acclimation, suffice to say OUT cold.
    Having a sore ass and some more acclimation issues I rode out in La Tierra today. It is a just out of town ride that is perfect for recouping and getting use to this terrain again. Kicked out a short 20 miler and done for the day.
    I apologize Martini, I did not know there was a bike shop in PdC, and would have stopped, but even so I probably pushed thru before opening hours. I will definitely try to make it in on the way back and for a possible ride too?
    So far Buzzy nothin' but the good stuff from the small town breweries....although at a small get together only Coors Light(?) was available. Could drink a third before dumping it down the drain. Aaargghh the stuff is terrible. Don't know how one can drink so called light beer. No nutrition what so ever and taste? What taste? As bland as water with a malt/hop fizzzz.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hello Wisconsin

My computer works up in the tops of the Zunis Mtns in NM. Here to do an IMBA epic in McGaffey canyon. Rode 20 miles of nothing but ST including a new just being ridden 6 mile loop. I am doing the big ride tomorrow then heading up to Fruita CO. for a couple of rides then back to good ol' Wis. for a plethora of Northwoods Single Tracking. Out.