mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Northern Kettles IMBA Chapter

A group of clubs in Ozaukee, Washington, Sheboygan, and Fond du Lac Counties are initiating discussions on the prospect of an IMBA Chapter to cover the 4-county area. We see a lot of potential for new trails to be built and old trails to be expanded, but we need the organization and bodies to do it. There's a lot of land in the Northern Kettles and surrounding area just begging for our handiwork!

If you're interested, we're holding an informational meeting on February 24, 2013 from 2-4 PM at the Rusty Spur Saloon in New Fane (address below, and see attached flyer). Everyone is welcome, and pass this info along to anyone that might be interested!

N142 Cty Hwy S
    New Fane WI 53040
    Attached Files Attached Files

the fat kid
    How did this go? I think this area deserves some IMBA support, there is a ton of gorgeous land and what I consider some hidden jems in that forest!
    I ride faster than I should.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313 View Post
    How did this go? I think this area deserves some IMBA support, there is a ton of gorgeous land and what I consider some hidden jems in that forest!
    The meeting went really well! There were probably 12-15 people there from the four-county area. The general consensus was to start consolidating all of the info that it takes to become an IMBA Chapter (number of members, contacts for potential members, etc.) and getting the ball rolling in earnest. We plan on having another follow-up meeting sometime in the next month or so to really hash out the details of applying for Chapter-dom. I'll post up here when we set that date.

I agree about the potential of the Northern Kettles. Just talking to folks at that meeting, it seems that there are a lot of unique difficulties in building and expanding trails on state land. However, we all hope that a strong affiliation with IMBA and a strong group of volunteers will lessen those difficulties as time goes on. The dream seems to be a connector trail between Greenbush and New Fane!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I currently live in Madison but I'm starting a new job in Milwaukee next month and have bought a house in West Bend. I'm very interested in getting some information on joining either a local club or a potential IMBA chapter and helping to realize trail expansions in the Northern Kettles. Is there any way you could point me in the right direction? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    We're still laying the groundwork for the IMBA Chapter - it's coming along, but trailbuilding this summer has taken precedent! Talk has heated up again, though, so it's only a matter of time.

There's definitely some local groups that you can hook up with in the meantime, though. Since you're in West Bend, G.E.A.R.S. is definitely the group for you. (Glacial Edge Area Riding Society). They're based out of West Bend and do most (if not all) of the work in Glacial Blue Hills Park, New Fane, and Greenbush in the Northern Kettles forest. You can find their group page on Facebook.

There's also our group (OCMB - Ozaukee County Mountain Bikers) to the east. We're building a great new trail about 20 minutes east of West Bend. Again, you can find us on Facebook.

There's also the Metro Mountain Bikers club out of Milwaukee. They take care of the trails in Wauwatosa and now at The Rock in Franklin.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That helps a ton! Thank you. I just googled our new house and Glacial Blue Hills Park and it looks like maybe a 2-3 mile ride to the trailhead so I'm now completely stoked that I've got something literally just out my front door. I knew about New Fane and Greenbush, just didn't know I'd have something even closer for weekdays during our long wisconsin summer days. I'll probably make contact with both of your groups once we've gotten settled. Maybe bounce back and forth doing volunteer work for awhile? I'm always in for helping create more places to ride.

As a sidenote: The CAMBA trails I ride near my families cabin outside of Hayward during the summer have spoiled me. I am not opposed to breaking my back over many years to have something close to that near the homestead.

Metalheadbikerider
    Hey All,
    I am from Sheboygan originally and now live in Portland, OR. I was on the Board of Directors and involved with starting up our IMBA chapter here, called the Northwest Trail Alliance. I am still very involved with the organization, just not on the Board anymore. When I am back in Sheboygan I try to make a point of riding the Kettles, so I am interested in doing what little I can to help out from afar. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me (I don't check this board often). If I don't have the answer I can probably get it for you. Good luck. And if you need to head West to do a fact-finding and riding mission (and micro-brew tasting) I'd be happy to show you the trails and beers out here.
    Cheers!
    Brian
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org