=========

Nominate Your Trail and Trail advocate for "Best in WI Awards"

Please post your Nominations in this thread for the best trail system in Wisconsin. Once we have all the nominations (nominate by July 15th) we'll post a poll on this board for folks to vote. Awards will be presented at KettlePalooza up at Greenbush on October 3rd.

Please Nominate for the following 2 catagories.

Best Trail System in Wisconsin

Best Trail Advocate in Wisconsin

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    Harold Schmidt for Best Trail Advocate in Wisconsin

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Roche!

I'll nominate the Roche trail. The loop is still splintered from the tornado. But what kind of "parent" would I be if I didn't support my baby!

hee hee, It shouldn't take long for every trail in the State to have a nomination. The Roche deserves the award simply because no other trail has over 40 table to auto sized rocks (roches) incorporated into a trail. We've got berms, drops and great XC riding. Plus, because of tornado, there is the adventure of not always knowing where the heck you are.

Harold is an excellent choice for advocate. Dave Mangan deserves a ton of credit (too), for what he has been creating and maintaining at the S Kettle (I am talking about the trails and the group!). I get his splendid emails and feel like I missed a party (sometimes I do).

I imagine these nominations will be very "local" in nature.

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson

I imagine these nominations will be very "local" in nature.
    Just to prove you wrong, I'll nominate Levis for best trail.

Just to prove you right, I'll second your nomination for Dave Mangan.

Make it a contest!

No longer 26
    I'll second Levis-Trow for best trails. Although I have not been up to the Cable area in a long time to ride Rock Lake and the many newer and re-done trails of Camba.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Bear

My nominations...

Trail - Definitely Blue Mound. Sitting at 12+ brutally technical miles right now with ground broken on another four mile loop. Show me another trail in Wisconsin that consistently slaps you in the face like this one.

Trail Advocate - Walt Hougas without a doubt. This man is a one man machine. I've seen him swing two rockbars over his head while simultaneously benching sections of new trail. The hours he puts in for us are absolutely irreplaceable.

Bear
    www.madcitydirt.org

Ballstein Models
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaryenbruch
    Trail - Definitely Blue Mound.

Trail Advocate - Walt Hougas

www.madcitydirt.org
    +1, without a doubt.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaryenbruch
    Trail - Definitely Blue Mound. Sitting at 12+ brutally technical miles right now with ground broken on another four mile loop. Show me another trail in Wisconsin that consistently slaps you in the face like this one.

Trail Advocate - Walt Hougas without a doubt. This man is a one man machine. I've seen him swing two rockbars over his head while simultaneously benching sections of new trail. The hours he puts in for us are absolutely irreplaceable.

Bear
    www.madcitydirt.org
    no doubt, Walt is a trail building super hero.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thumbs up to Walt for sure. I might have to go with Levis for top trail though

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Another one for Walt. Anyone riding Blue mounds owes him big time

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Blue Mound State Park

Walt Hougas

=========
    Walt is officially nominated.

Keep in mind that the voting will take place after we've assembled the nominees, so stay tuned.

Thread Killer
    Wow, is it just me or are we overlooking So. Kettle? With the new connector to the connector, you're looking at 26+ miles of incredible one-way trail for a big round trip, not to mention all the inner loops! There's just a couple of not-so-fun uphills on Emma to spoil the singletrack beauty -- what's not to love? Beginner through expert trails, multiple eco systems, maps, wash station, parking ... c'mon!

just ride
    CAMBA trails get my vote. I dont live there anymore, but I still go back constantly.

Steve Morales, and his tireless work and thousands of hours to build the Makwa and Hatchery Creek trails at CAMBA gets my vote as the best advocate. Mostly because while he builds a lot and puts in a lot of time, he also rides, and will talk to any user on the trail, help them, give them pointers, and generally makes mountain biking a positive experience.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Blue Mound and Walter Hougas.

Walter's time spent gets into the hundreds of hours and Blue Mound give the taste of things afar with even more good to come.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

northwoods

Can one nominate Camba trails or should it be one trail? If it's the later then I would nominate Levis Trow Mounds and Steve Meurett for his efforts and ongoing building, redesigns, etc., otherwise Rock Lake, Ojibwe, and Hatchery/Mosquito/Makwa as CAMBA and Steve also.
    Last edited by Steve O'Punc; 06-29-2009 at 08:48 AM.

=========
    Nominations are closed.

You can see the results and vote for your fave trail and advocate in the poll that is stickied at the top of the page.