I need skills
    Jul 2004

Nicolet Roche Video

Been playing with my new video camera. The video contains portions of the first 4 miles of the Nicolet Roche Mt Bike trail.

I know the editing could be better. It would look better if the sky were overcast. It would be better if the camera person kept closer to the rider.............

(It is an XC trail and everything can be ridden around. The rider has a slack head tube angled bike, flat pedals, and lowered his seat.)

Last edited by cjohnson; 07-15-2009 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

=========
    That's very cool....thanks for sharing a peek at your trail. I gotta get up there...how bad are the bugs right now? Would October be an ideal time to plan a trip?

I need skills
    Jul 2004

very few bugs

We just spent 9 days there. The bugs are not bad at all. The last few days we didn't hardly see any bugs. There are way more mosquitos in Waukesha than N Wisconsin.

Up North we have some black flies in late May to late June. Mosquitos show up Early June and the past several years have been fairly scant by mid July.

Oct 3rd would be a great time to plan a trip to the Roche. We'll blow the leaves off the trail for ya.

charlie

Witty McWitterson
    Yeah, nicely done. Makes me want to find a way up there too.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Only an hour away, and I didn't know it was there. I'm going to head out Sunday afternoon and check this place out. Want to show me around Charlie?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I might ride there on Sunday and Saturday? Haven't heard from my gang about riding in Cable/Hayward, so......?

Roc
    mtbr member
    That trail looks amazing! where is it?

mtbr member
    Heading out there now. Should be at the trailhead at about 4-4:15. Maybe cross paths with someone

I need skills
    Jul 2004

just missed you.

hope you had fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks good. I may have to take a trip up there one of these weekends.

mtbr member
    I had a blast. I had been experiencing a lot of ego building rides lately, but a few of those boulders humbled me very well. That's really too bad about the tornado damage. We took the posted route through and found the trail fine, and then just flew down bee sting back onto the road back through the damage and toward the car. The trail definitely felt like someone has been and is putting a lot of love into it. I look forward to riding it again soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This is a GREAT trail. I drive all the way from St. Cloud, MN to ride this trail at least once a year.

superluker
    Aug 2009
    First post and first day at Roche. The trail exceeded my expectations. I look forward to going again.

mtbr member
    I'm heading to my hometown for the weekend, and it's a short drive from Roche. I'm planning on riding, and I'm curious how it is for beginners? My girlfriend is just getting into it. She's logged a some hours on a couple beginner trails.

Am I in trouble if I bring her along for the ride?

mtbr member
    No, I think a beginner would be fine. There's a way around almost all of the obstacles.

mtbr member
    Awesome. After watching that video I am pumped to ride this!

mtbr member
    I will definitely be back at Nicolet Roche in the future. The single track that is rideable is absolutely awesome. The trail has it all.

Unfortunately, I wish the detours around tornado damage were marked. We ended up on a dead end on Bee Sting Hill, and then got on a logging road after turning around. I'm not sure if we went the wrong way on that road, but we ended up coming out about 6 miles from the trailhead where we parked and had to ride the highways back.

All in all, it was great single track while it lasted. Are there plans for building more anytime soon?

mtbr member
    That buzz down bee sting is a blast. You need to take a right at the end, then keep on past the equipment and back to where you originally came out. I by pure luck ran into some guys who had a map when I went there, and I was able to find the way back to the track and the car. Glad you had fun

mtbr member
    I rode Nicolet Roche two weeks ago. The section shown in the video is fantastic, a total blast to ride. Finding the trail head was a challenge. It's 0.7 miles back from the corner where you turn into the parking lot at Boulder Lake Campground. The sign is small and easy to miss.

Why is the trail north of the tornado damage so much less buffed than the stuff near Boulder Lake? Not enough time to do it all? Not complaining, it's all fun.

Walt

I need skills
    Jul 2004

What?!

so Walt, you waited until after the voting to post your complimentary remarks. I see.....

Glad you enjoyed the trail. As for your question, I will speculate the S part of the trail is more buff because it has more riders. Many Boulder Lake campers are novice bikers and may turn around after a mile or so, other start at campground drive and turn around once they hit the tornado damage (as posted here, it can be tricky to find the way).

N of 64 is also very buff as it has a lot of riders too.

The good news is, major headway is happening right now to push through the damaged sections.

Charlie Johnson

22. Posting Permissions