Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oracle7775's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    427

    New Trails at New Fane?

    Someone mentioned in passing in another thread that 5 miles of new trail is being/has been added at New Fane this year? Is this true?

    I live twenty minutes away but haven't been there for years. If there's new trail I'd love to go check it out.

  2. #2
    =========
    Reputation: ~gomez~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    Someone mentioned in passing in another thread that 5 miles of new trail is being/has been added at New Fane this year? Is this true?

    I live twenty minutes away but haven't been there for years. If there's new trail I'd love to go check it out.
    word

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1
    Been there quite a few times this year to ride the new trails...pretty good time. Not nearly as intense (or long) as the Greenbush loop trails, but still fun to ride for the trails in the area. Glad they made'em....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955

    Trails Complete

    The New Fane trails are now complete and trails signs have been installed. The system is essentially 4 stacked loops. Get out and ride them in. They are swoopy and fun.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6
    I have tried the "new" New Fane single track trails this year and quite liked them. Although not too long, they have a good roller coaster feel and are not too technically challenging, even for an old duffer like myself. The drive from Madison is pretty long, so you have to plan the day properly (I've alsways got up there too late!). Thank you to the DNR and volunteers (of which I SHOULD be one) for all your work. It is appreciated.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    The New Fane trails are now complete and trails signs have been installed. The system is essentially 4 stacked loops. Get out and ride them in. They are swoopy and fun.
    Has anyone created any maps of the new trails yet? I rode them last weekend, and they are pretty sweet, but seem to wind all over the place so I tended to lose track of where I was. The trails cross over the main loop in several places so I had a tough time trying to figure out what the layout is.

    Nonetheless, it adds some nice mileage to the system.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955
    The system is made up of four stacked loops. I have a map of the new trails but I don't know how to post it. I can e-mail it to you. Are you coming to Kettlepalooza? I could have a map available for you there as well.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    The system is made up of four stacked loops. I have a map of the new trails but I don't know how to post it. I can e-mail it to you. Are you coming to Kettlepalooza? I could have a map available for you there as well.
    Yeah if you could email it, that would be great. lytleric [at] msu.edu.

    I am doing the Thunderdown WEMS race that same weekend, so I am going to miss Kettlepalooza unfortunately...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955
    Check your e-mail

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oracle7775's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    427
    Here's a link to the DNR website map, which I believe is updated with the new trails.

    http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/spe...nnewfanetr.pdf

    I didn't realize that the new trails meant that you can no longer bike on the hiking trails.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oracle7775's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    427
    Zombie thread.

    I finally made it out to New Fane yesterday. I had my wife with me, who is a newb, so I thought that these trails would be a good fit for her. Loop one and two are great beginner trails.

    Fun trails, swoopy, nice flow. Not super challenging, except for that damn right turn up a short steep hill on loop three. It took me three tries to get it right. Of course, as I was gasping at the top of the hill, some guy on a single speed comes along and cleans it while making it look easy...
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    Zombie thread.

    I finally made it out to New Fane yesterday. I had my wife with me, who is a newb, so I thought that these trails would be a good fit for her. Loop one and two are great beginner trails.

    Fun trails, swoopy, nice flow. Not super challenging, except for that damn right turn up a short steep hill on loop three. It took me three tries to get it right. Of course, as I was gasping at the top of the hill, some guy on a single speed comes along and cleans it while making it look easy...
    Glad you liked them. Great place for newbies and a fun place for experienced riders when you crank up the speed. I know that turn, downshift early, exit corner wide, and crank the hill.

  13. #13
    WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Reputation: fattybikejones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    623
    Can anyone tell me directions from Milwaukee??
    '11 Giant Revel frame / full rigid Surly 1x1, MAVIC, Continental, Bontrager, Milwaukee

    NO SHOX

  14. #14
    =========
    Reputation: ~gomez~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,856


    It's on this map.....I tried to get the directions from fattireguides.com, but it looks like the site has been hacked.

  15. #15
    WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Reputation: fattybikejones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    623
    Thanks gomez... I will probably be sticking to the metro trails this afternoon.

    South kettles (Muir) is actually closer to me (West Allis) than Northern (New Fane and Greenbush)..
    '11 Giant Revel frame / full rigid Surly 1x1, MAVIC, Continental, Bontrager, Milwaukee

    NO SHOX

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •