mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New to Madison Need Help

Hello fellow members. Washington DC transplant here. I just moved in this evening. Kinda, I'm in a hotel for the week that my new job has provided. Need to find a place to live ASAP. Anyone know of apartment complexes, rooms shared, etc. Within reasonable driving or riding distance to Waterloo, WI? Anything to help a downed fellow rider. My move was a little abrupt and I'm still spinning. Any insight or recommendations are helpful. I have yet to get a lay of the land.

And a photo of my only traveling companion.

New to Madison Need Help-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21368415091.718337.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm in Minnesota and have yet to make it over there, but I have heard GREAT things about "Mad City Dirt" and the trails there. I think you'll be pleased at all the mountain biking Wisconsin has to offer. The Chequamegon forest has hundreds of miles of trails. Check these pages out:

Home Page - madcitydirt.com
    Chequamegon Area Mountain Bike Association

clown question, bro
    I'm several hours north of you, so I'm not familiar with the housing situation down that way, but it's worth a bump to the top. There are several folks from down that way... hopefully it catches their attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

Perpetual n00b

New to Madison Need Help

Good luck. If you are middle income then you are pretty much screwed since it seems like everything is income restricted lately. So you will either be forced into some old run down apartments or spend half your income on rent to get a nice market rate apartment. We are having to move out of the city to find anything remotely affordable that's not in a shady part of town.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you'll want to live on the East side of town. You could always check out some of the 'burbs as well - Sun Prairie, Cottage Grove, DeForest. The good news is that you'll be close to CamRock and the Southern Kettles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    We are having to move out of the city to find anything remotely affordable that's not in a shady part of town.
    "shady" is highly relative, there aren't many places in Madison that are shady by most cities' standards.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples View Post
    "shady" is highly relative, there aren't many places in Madison that are shady by most cities' standards.
    Agreed. From what I have seen of Madison, it seems less shady compared to my neck of the woods.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    First of all, Welcome to Wisconsin!

Your employer's HR dept may be of some help regarding locales to live in. Plus, looking at a map, any place between Madison and Waterloo will probably be fairly affordable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    There are a fair number of Trek employees that commute from Madison, so carpools are quite plausible; I have a friend who regularly carpooled (before moving to SF) from downtown. If you live on the far east side of Madison, it is commutable by bike if you have the 1 hour each way (15 miles). The roads are fairly pleasant (most don't have a shoulder, but are low traffic).

That said, downtown Madison has a more character than the far east, and isn't an inconceivable commute by car and some do it by bike. 40 miles a day would be a bit much for me, though I have ridden it.

As far as shady goes, there aren't any neighborhoods that I would hesitate to bike through after dark. Not that crime doesn't exist (one of my former coworkers was knifed during an attempted mugging), but the city has a very low violent crime rate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New to Madison Need Help

Thank you for the assistance guys. I just found a place for temporary living. I'll look in madison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2