Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

My company may move me to WI ....

I have been riding for a little more than a year now. I ride every day unless it is raining and then I run. I am really into riding and do not want to give it up any time soon. However, my companies headquarters is in Milwaukee and if I stay with them it is likely I will need to move there for a while. In fact it may be soon, a prospect that saddens me for all the activities that my family and I enjoy.

Just how many month of XC can you guys squeeze out up there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I see your from SC. The earliest we get to ride is late April (if we're lucky) until early October if the cold does not bother you and snow has not fallen yet.
    If you've never lived up in the snow belt, you will have to adjust. Some people just can't.

mtbr member
    I have rode in the twenties and I have run in the teens. But you can not do either on ice I guess. We are boating and going to the beach in the 2nd to 3rd week of April.

So six months if your lucky? How do you stay in shape the other six?

Sup
    sorry to tell ya the bad news dean but you are never going to keep that tan up here

mtbr member
    ugh!!! ..... I can loose the tan.

But the idea of running on a tread mill for 6 months makes me want to skip the gun and just push the bullet through my skull

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You can run year round in Wisconsin, I do 70 mpw all winter. Now biking, I have never tried in winter, except going to class and back everyday. You could always take up skiing or snowshoeing too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Running in the winter greatly improves muscle stability.

And you look badass running through snow.
    __ o
    _< \_
    (_)>(_) .

Sup
    you might like to xc ski
    I miss SC my self the weather and people were real nice
    spent a couple years in uncle sams canoue club there

You should find plenty to do in wisconsin
    good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The other option is to ride on the road during the winter. The owner of a local LBS rides year round. You have to dress for it in layers but you are at least still on the bike. The other option to stay in shape is snow shoeing. We have great parks and trails here.

mtbr member
    I thought about XC Skiing........ I have never done it but if it tortures your lungs I'd like to try it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I know it's no WI but in MN, there are some trails that are opened for winter riding. You just have to get studded tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderDean
    I have rode in the twenties and I have run in the teens. But you can not do either on ice I guess. We are boating and going to the beach in the 2nd to 3rd week of April.

So six months if your lucky? How do you stay in shape the other six?
    Here's my annual winter training regimen:

November: snow is usually intermittent, so I can still ride and run a good portion of it (I don't mind the cold that much).

December: Dust off the YMCA membership card and sign up for spin classes; get new XC skis for Christmas. Try snow-riding and realize those guys are crazy.

January: sleep later, stop going to spin; hang laundry on new skis.

February: Drink heavily.

March: spend inordinate amounts of money in fit of "upgrade-itis." Post an obscene number of times on MTBR.com message boards about how excited you were to some dry pavement the other day. Continue to drink heavily.

April: come out of drunken stupor from previous two months to realize your ass is fat, you've got a bunch of sweet new parts on your bike, and that its time to get out and ride.
    Last edited by Oracle7775; 08-06-2009 at 12:29 PM.

mtbr member
    You can stay active in winter up here if you're willing to adapt. Once you've learned to dress for conditions there is little to prevent you from going outside in any weather. Studded tires can keep you on the bike, and then there are all the snow sports to explore too. I've learned to really enjoy winter because a really cold or snowy day makes any excursion more interesting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    Here's my annual winter training regimen:

November: snow is usually intermittent, so I can still ride and run a good portion of it (I don't mind the cold that much).

December: Dust off the YMCA membership card and sign up for spin classes; get new XC skis for Christmas. Try snow-riding and realize those guys are crazy.

January: sleep later, stop going to spin; hang laundry on new skis.

February: Drink heavily.

March: spend inordinate amounts of money in fit of "upgrade-itis." Post an obscene number of times on MTBR.com message boards about how excited you were to some dry pavement the other day. Continue to drink heavily.

April: come out of drunken stupor from previous two months to realize your ass is fat, you've got a bunch of sweet new parts on your bike, and that its time to get out and ride.

LMAO. That's last winter to a T

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

UnWisconsin like sportsmanship

Drink heavily in only two months of the year? you must be from southern Wisconsin y'all. Hey first of all there are different types of biking, like road or cross and with knowledgeable layering you can stay comfortable and ride pretty much thru all months, if you are motivated. I get out whenever it is in the teens and higher. Have done 0 degrees and felt good until hypothermia came on and then I had to ride back. BBBbbrrrrrrrrrr, no blackened toes or fingers though. What is great about Wisconsin is the abundance of cross country skiing and after biking 12 months a year in New Mexico for 15 years, coming home I fell in love again with xc skiing. For fitness?, unbelievable sport for the lungs, heart, legs, arms, well pretty much the whole package. It is one of the hardest and punishing cardio activities eating up to 1200 calories an hour just depending on how hard you hit it. If you run and bike hard give this a try you will not be disappointed, but remember there will be a learning curve. Just keep doing it to get better, like bowling!

mtbr member
    Bowling!!??

Look if I do move to Milwaukee I am definitely taking up XC skiing ... do doubt.

But Bowling...... I would rather chew off my arm.

We play year round tennis (me the wife and girls) how hard is it to play and find indoor courts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Look if I do move to Milwaukee I am definitely taking up XC skiing ... do doubt.
    Just keep your expectations realistic. As someone that learned to ski as an adult, I have vivid memories of underestimating the learning curve. But it's a blast once you get the hang of it.
    It's great to have skiing and mtn biking as winter options. If there's good snow, you ski, if no snow (or barely any snow) and frozen ground, you mountain bike, and if you get studded tires you're even covered when everything turns to ice. Throw in a little winter hiking, and you'll always have something to do.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    RiderDean -

I hate to say it my friend, but your not going to like Milwaukee.

Wisconsin SE / Milwaukee is awesome in the summer, but truly sucks in the winter - and this is coming from someone who grew up in MN (Minneapolis/St Paul area). There are some good local trails within the city and an hour from here, and everything is active and excited when its summer. There are not much outdoor activities here in the winter. The weather is inconsistent and just warm enough where CC skiing is not that great. Forget decent downhill skiing - nowhere within 3 hrs. No hockey at all either. Weather here IMO (especially by the Lake) is a Portland-esque like weather...sun in summer and overcast else. I would rather have colder, but sunnier winters here.

Basically at the first sniff of bad weather and everyone in the city reverts back to their German catholic roots and becomes hermits = Lots of drinking, bars and gyms. I hear ya, I cannot stand gyms and feeling like a hamster on a wheel...but they are HUGE here. I think Milwaukee was rated like the 5th fittest city in a magazine a few years ago, and they based a majority on gyms/population.

Like I said, summer rocks here, but its pretty brutal otherwise. I would highly suggest Madison if you can swing it, else away from the metro area. I am transfering with my company to Denver in March and literally are counting down the days.

mtbr member
    forgot to add if you do enjoy wakeboarding, Wisco is a phenomoal place for it my friend! Albeit a short season, there are a TON of lakes to ski/wakeboard.

And I agree LOL bowling? Seriously people come on, I know the state fair is going on, but lets not direct this poor guy to the West Stallica...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc
    Drink heavily in only two months of the year?
    Lol, its an occupation for those two months; the rest of the year it's more of a hobby!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Okay, here's my story:

I moved to Sheboygan (an hour north of Milwaukee) in 2002 from San Diego. Don't know how hilly it is where you live now, but I guarantee the first huge disappointment you'll have is looking around and thinking "Wow, this place is really FLAT." I was used to epic rides with 2 to 3 thousand feet of climbing. Here, if there's 300 ft. of climbing they act like it's something really challenging.

It's also going to be hard to get motivated to ride when you're looking at seemingly endless grey days with temperatures in the 20's (or lower). You'll get SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and want to just sit on the couch and eat Funyuns or lie in bed with a headache all day. If you own a handgun, make sure it's in an inconvenient location.

After a few years of hibernating in winter, I decided to try winter riding. It's a royal pain layering up the clothing just right, but once you get it figured out you can manage to get a ride in even when it's so inhumanely freezing cold that all the Wisconsin lard-asses are huddled around the TV with fried cheesecurds and Old Milwaukee.

The other thing I did was buy some cross-country skiis at a yard sale. Someone is always selling them. They get them in a "I'm gonna get fit this winter" spree, then realize that it's too cold and uncomfortable to actually ski in the winter and the skiis sit in their garage for the next 10 years. It took me two winters to sort of get the hang of x-country skiing. Your results may vary. DO NOT, as I naively did, start out in a snow covered field. You need to be on a groomed trail or you'll have snow getting in over the top of your boots, you won't be gliding very far, and you'll wonder why you even bothered trying it. I can't say it's a very exciting activity, but it's amazingly good exercise and it beats falling into a winter gloom induced depression.

One thing about living in an area like this, you really learn to appreciate the summer months when they finally come. Sometimes it takes until mid-June for it to feel like summer, though. Then you have until about the end of September until it gets miserable again.

Good luck with your move. Living here will toughen you up mentally, if not physically.

-J

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Welcome to Milwaukee.. get dialed in at

http://www.metromountainbikers.ning.com

the local MTB club...meetings, rides, trail building, local knowledge..
    Last edited by MartyW; 11-06-2009 at 04:53 PM.

mtbr member
    I have been riding for a little more than a year now. I ride every day unless it is raining and then I run. I am really into riding and do not want to give it up any time soon. However, my companies headquarters is in Milwaukee and if I stay with them it is likely I will need to move there for a while. In fact it may be soon, a prospect that saddens me for all the activities that my family and I enjoy.

Just how many month of XC can you guys squeeze out up there?
    ever get moved out here to the midwest?
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    May 2009
    There are still XC races going on next weekend...Iceman.
    I moved from Portland in 05' and yes the winters are crazy cold and long. I also miss the mountians a ton..no more (worth while) snowboarding. The WORS (www.wors.org) series is a blast though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherbikegeek
    Okay, here's my story:

I moved to Sheboygan (an hour north of Milwaukee) in 2002 from San Diego.

-J
    Dude, I'm so sorry!

To the OP: As others have said, you can ride as long as you want if you can stand the cold temps--which it sounds like you can. So, realistically you won't be able to ride as well because of snow for maybe 3 months. Again, as others have said, it's all about how you layer.

And yes, there are indoor racquetball and tennis courts to use during the winter. This state sure doesn't have the weather of SC, but that cuts both ways. Anyone who says that the outdoor season in WI is 6 months needs to HTFU.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast