Giant Anthem

Moving to Minnesota, where is cycling?

I am possibly making a move to MN this summer. My in-laws are near St Cloud and we would like to live within 20-30 minutes from the area. Does this area have good riding? (Road and Mountain) Everything seems super flat... any hills or terrain nearby?

We are flexible however and could live in other areas... any suggestions on what areas would be conducive for a good cycling scene?

The mountain bike race series looks good, looking forward to that.

Thanks guys.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    well for mountain biking, if you were to live halfway between St Cloud and the TC you would be in decent range to Hillside in Elk River, Elm Creek in Champlain, and Bertram in Monticello. Check out the Minnesota Off road cyclists website for more info.
    Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    St. Cloud isn't the best for mtn biking. One cool flat trail, but not much more. Currently, the Twin Cities metro area has the most trails and most miles of mtn bike trails in MN. Duluth is working on becoming the Midwest mtn biking mecca, plus it has great elevation and scenery. Highly recommend Duluth. Also, Brainerd Lakes area has Cuyuna which is world class. A good compromise may be living in NW suburbs of Twin Cities, which is less than hour from St. Cloud. You'll be close enough to family, will have more mtn bike opportunities, plus will have more jobs to choose from being near the metro.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    @2fst4u -

Moved from central Indiana to MN 16 years ago and haven't looked back. If you like the outdoors, you will love MN.

Mountain bike opportunities are sparse in the St. Cloud area, with the Jail Trail being the only close MTB trail. Its 'travel to the trail' otherwise. Then you have your choice of the Cities trails, Cuyuna, or Duluth. All of which are amazing in their own ways.

Road biking is decent around the St. Cloud area, though lacking elevation change if you get out of river valley. If you have/are planning to get a more "everything" road bike with discs and CX tires you find lots of cool areas open to you, i.e. gravel roads. Most major county roads in MN have really wide shoulders that make road biking less of suicidal venture as it is other states. (I'm always shocked at how narrow the roads are when I visit my family in IN.) Stay on roads close to the Mississippi for elevation change.

If your future job is dependent on more urban/suburban location, I would suggest Big Lake, Monticello, Princeton areas. All close to St. Cloud and close to the highways (10/94/169) to Cities or the North Star line to Minneapolis.

If your future job is less dependent on location, I would suggest Sartell, St. Joseph, and Little Falls. Close to highways to get to St. Cloud and greater MN with less hustle & bustle than the NW Cities/94 Corridor area.
    Last edited by CycleKrieg; 12-27-2013 at 11:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I better chime in here too. I am in Saint Cloud and the riding is not bad at all. Not mountainous by any means, but not far away from some truly great areas. Jail Trail is tight and twisty for sure, the compost site, Bluff Park, on the south end of town is tighter and more old school. The road rides that head out of Revolution Cycle and Ski starting in spring are a great gauge of training progress. Most riders are laid back and easy to be around.

Duluth is expensive and cloudy and poorly laid out. Will be a MTB destination in the next decade though. Look here for the latest news: Mid MN Cycling Club is our club in these parts, we do the work on the trails, try for more access, ya know.

Look us up or PM me when you get to town and we will show you around!

Giant Anthem
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will keep in touch as I get closer to moving. I can attest to the narrow shoulders here in OH! I brought my bikes out before and yeah, the shoulders are awesome in MN. I also did the jail trail which was a fun outlet but pretty small. Anyway I will check out the link and go from there.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The most miles of trails are currently in the TC metro area. MORC currently has about 85 miles of single track spread around the metro with more miles scheduled to be built at Theo worth and lake Rebecca in the next few years. The metro area also has two bike parks. Eagan bike park more about Dj and pump tracks about .75 acre and cottage grove bike park that will be finished in 2015 will have 4x track, tot track, DJ's , pump tracks, sloop style course and MTB skills section in a 3 acre area.
    Duluth will have over 100 miles of MTB in the next few years and two ski areas with dh trails as well as a bike park. They have a solid MTB scene and lots of good riders and hands down the best terrain in mn if not the upper Midwest. Cuyuna is fun but I'm pretty much bored with it after a weekend. Its fun to do a few times a year.