遅すぎ
    Apr 2008

Moving to Milwaukee, what bikes to bring

Just found out I'm going to be moving to Milwaukee for the next 5 years from California. I've browsed through the FAQs and read old moving threads, but no one seems to have asked this question. I currently have an Intense Carbine (6" bike) and a 1st gen Blur (4" bike) and can probably build up a short travel hard tail. I love both bikes dearly, but I can only bring one with the move and was wondering which would be better. If a 6" bike is overkill, I would be open to selling off the carbine while it still has some value. I have been spoiled rotten with cali singletrack whether it be loamy, flowy redwoods forrest in norcal, or tight, fast rocky and loose technical singletrack in socal. Any insight onto what the majority of riding would require would be helpful.

I am also wondering if it would be worth getting a DJ for winter riding at say Ray's, or a fat bike for snow rides (if there are any). Also any advice on where to live would be greatly appreciated. I'm single and know 0 people there. Thanks!
    Last edited by hkenshin; 03-15-2013 at 04:54 PM.

mtbr member

Re: Moving to Milwaukee, what bikes to bring

There's lots of cool places to ride in Wisconsin, kettle moraine, levis trow mounds, john Muir, and nine mile just to name a few

I don't think you need a 6" bike really anywhere
    Sure a 4" bike is nice but you can fly with much less
    Fatbikes are a blast

Milwaukee is loaded with cool people
    Check out riverwest neighborhood, seems to be the place

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, 6" is way overkill for Wisconsin. Even if you get up to places like Copper Harbor, MI every once in awhile, it's probably still overkill. The 4" would be a nice comfy ride around here. There are plenty of rocks on a lot of the trails throughout the state - being on the edge of a glacier helped that. And if you can build up the short travel hardtail, do that. It'll probably be your ride of choice in the immediate Milwaukee area.

Fat bikes are getting huge out here, but it may take a year or two for the riding opportunities to really open up (i.e., groomed singletrack). Given that you're coming from a fast and flowy environment, I'd recommend getting a DJ bike for Ray's and waiting for the fat bike scene to really take off. We're building a new trail just north of Milwaukee, and fat bike friendliness is one of our priorities.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

both

Welcome to Wisconsin!

If possible bring both. Gravity Logic, builder of Valmont bike park in CO, is scheduled to start building a bike park the first week of April (weather pending) in Franklin, (a Milwaukee Suburb). The plan is to build Green through Black diamond type lines. Jump lines, and pump tracks. Options for both big travel and dirt jump bikes.
    //www.facebook.com/groups/CrystalRidgeBikePark/

Once here you can decide to buy a fat bike or not, it is a fast growing segment of the sport, there is a race series, FAT-BIKE.COM | A Resource for Fans of FatBikes! And around the State, and nearby, there are options aplenty to ride in Winter. (Kettles, Minooka, Camrock, Metro trails are all within 45 minutes).

Rays is addictive, you'll be buying a dirt jumper for sure. There is an active local Milwaukee club, Metro Mountain Bikers - Milwaukee Wisconsin They will be having a Summer long Wednesday night race series.

If you have area specific questions, PM me.

Charlie Johnson